New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
So... what would you do ??

I just want to see what some of you would do in this circumstance....

I ordered a new Z4 30i with just about all the bells and whistles. The dealer rep, the service manager and the sales manager ALL knew that I was planning to integrate my iPhone 3GS with the SmartPhone adapter. The sales manager even asked me which iPhone I was using to be sure it would work. The car was ordered with the 6FL option and the premium option (needed for the SmartPhone) but was NOT ordered with the SmartPhone option as they THOUGHT it was DEALER INSTALLED.

When I picked up the car they did not have the iPhone CRADLE so nothing was installed. A few weeks later when it arrived I took the car in and as they tried to install the CRADLE they found that they could not because the SmartPhone option was NOT installed.

After a little research they came back to me and told me that the SmartPhone option was NO LONGER DEALER INSTALLABLE (since the new model in 2009).........

I have a formal, signed, "WE OWE" you receipt from the dealer that states "We owe you a Smartphone Adapter".........

So... what would you do in this circumstance. They say they cannot order and install it and I would not have oprdered the 6FL option if it was not required for the SmartPhone integration.

My initial position was hey, order another car.... YOUR mistake not mine YOU fix it....

What do you think ???? What would you do ????

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Wcollins
Wcollins
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I never would have accepted the car until they get the order right. Less of course they knock off a couple of grand for their mistake and I might be able to live with it...too much money not to have it the way you want. Their mistake ...their problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Not sure what the law is like in the States in this regard but have to agree with Wcollins'; it's their mistake, not yours and they have to put it right. Unless a suitable financial offer, as Wcollins mentions, can somehow persuade you that you can actually live without it. That financial offer of course should take into account the fact that you have had to specify and pay for options (6FL + premium) that you may not have otherwise chosen to have.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Given that you've had the car for a few weeks, I don't know that you have a lot of options except to ask for reimbursement for the Smartphone integration...$150??

Look for an aftermarket solution.
      01-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

well, I am sorry this happened to you and it sucks; but the car is not damaged and you still have bluetooth right?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Trust me the smartphone integration is OK, but not worth turning down the car. Have them give you a couple hundred bucks of accessories and call it a day.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
lrc454
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 30i Steptronic

I would tend to accept the car unless you want to wait for a reorder. Get credit for an accessory and find a substitute or aftermarket hook up for your Iphone.

It is ashamed that the dealer couldn't get it right but I must admit, getting through BMW's accessory list and understanding what's included is difficult. They could use better descriptions or simplify the options choices. Seems to be a lot of incremental accessories to achieve a total solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

all options can be retrofitted by the dealership... i call BS on your dealership. whatever is missing they should be able to order it and install it. i would have a field day with those idiots...
      01-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
Trust me the smartphone integration is OK, but not worth turning down the car. Have them give you a couple hundred bucks of accessories and call it a day.
I would agree with this.
      01-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thx everyone for your comments... I will take all into consideration as I move forward and get back to you with the final outcome.

I have had 3 BMW's now (2004 330cic, 2007 335i cab and now the Z4) through 2 different dealers. I had no issues on the 2004 but had a similar alarm related issue on the 335i with respect to the front interior motion sensors that I was told by the dealer wer included with the car but in fact only available in Europe. That did not end well for them......

The real issue here is that BMW dealership personnel know exceptionaslly LITTLE about their cars and the options and how they all integrate together. Really a big shortfall for BMW.

Thx agasin....

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
Marc45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Unless they knowingly committed fraud, your recourse is whatever damages you've suffered (the cost of the option). If they can install it but are saying they can't because they didn't budget the labor properly, you can take them to court and they will have to do it (or pay for someone else to do it). The other thing on your side is they probably don't want an unhappy customer. If it's really important to you, consult a lawyer. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Marc45......

I do not think they really care one way or the other about an unhappy customer.

I thought about just getting them to give me my money back for the options but that is just too easy for this type of blatent error on their part. If they give me my money back I lose completely as it is no real loss for them and I have to live with it for the next 5 or so years... Very bad ecxperience and I do not plan to just LIVE WITH IT !

The iPhone is certainly not a major rerason for my purchase but I for one and just tired of people making thee tyopes of issues be it BMW or anyone you call for information who ASSUMES and gives you the wrong answers (insurance companies, H&R Block, Apple.... etc.). People and companies have to start ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY for what they tell you. Maybe if they have to build a new car just for an iPhone issue they will get the message and change things to where people do not ASSUME anymore........

I needed to get that off my chest !!!

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Caveat emptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
Marc45......

I do not think they really care one way or the other about an unhappy customer.

I thought about just getting them to give me my money back for the options but that is just too easy for this type of blatent error on their part. If they give me my money back I lose completely as it is no real loss for them and I have to live with it for the next 5 or so years... Very bad ecxperience and I do not plan to just LIVE WITH IT !

The iPhone is certainly not a major rerason for my purchase but I for one and just tired of people making thee tyopes of issues be it BMW or anyone you call for information who ASSUMES and gives you the wrong answers (insurance companies, H&R Block, Apple.... etc.). People and companies have to start ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY for what they tell you. Maybe if they have to build a new car just for an iPhone issue they will get the message and change things to where people do not ASSUME anymore........

I needed to get that off my chest !!!
I wholeheartedly agree that "accountablity" in this country (USA) has become nonexistent. With few exceptions the majority of businesses are willing to give a half-hearted apology knowing that the odds of having to deal with a larger headache (ex. litigation) are slim.
Caveat emptor my friends. Research things to the best of your ability and get things in writing. A piece of paper is worth much more than someone's word.
      01-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
yabbanoname
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

Garage List
forget the idea that your z4 should be a topnotch phonebooth, it's made fordriving period.
Next time get another dealer ...
(my z4 got delivered with cradle and all, and the iphone 3gs that was just 1 day on te market workedflawless besides the incompatible msg ..., who cares , I enjoy the drivin' not the callin')
      01-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #15
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Isn't the point that the OP requested to the dealership a car with the appropriate options to allow the OP to use his iPhone, paid good money and not got what he requested?

In the UK one could *perhaps* (I'm no lawyer) argue that the car is "..not fit for purpose" and, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that purpose would be, in this case, a car which the OP is able to use with their iPhone. Fully appreciate that the OP is in the States and that laws can be very different but I would imagine that there is some law, should this be the route the OP wishes to take, which would compel the dealer to make right the error or supply/provide what the OP requested when he ordered the car.

Would also agree that the hassel etc may not be worth it if the dealer offers suitable compensation but only the OP can decide how much the feature/function is worth to them and if he's planning to keep the car for 5 years or so.............
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #16
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

I had the smarphone option in my 335ic and did order again in my Z4, but as long as you have bluetooth all the smarphone option does is enable you to play music through your iphone and supposedly it increases the signal strength of the phone. The second point was not very noticeable in my 335i. What bums me is that I thought I could reuse the cradle from the 335i in the Z4 but am being told it won't fit and I have to buy another cradle.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yabba....... - you missed the point entirely !

riccis.... you go it - the expectation here is that you get what you ordered and paid for !

The issue could have been that the car came in without the DCT - what would you have done then ? find another dealer ??

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Bottom lines.........

1. What do you want? The original order.
2. What can they give you? ALL options CAN be retrofitted. The so-called "Factory" options CAN be dealer fitted (assuming they've got qualified technicians on site).
3. Who is RESPONSIBLE for the error? They are, so get them to fix it.

Take your car in, they give you a loan vehicle (similar to yours) and you return when the work is done.

It will cost them $$$, but they should correct THEIR errors.

This whole issue of responsibility is plaguing our modern society. They employ uneducated idiots, they must be made aware that shortcomings of this nature will cost them dear.

Do not settle for anything else - you are not a charity.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #19
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Right now they are doing RESEARCH.......

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #20
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
Right now they are doing RESEARCH.......
good luck - my dealership has been doing "research" and "experimentation" on how to fix the adaptive suspension for 3 months now with at least 5 trips in and out of the dealership
Appreciate 0