New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
vic85
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E93 M3

Z4 to an M3

Hello dear BMW enthusiasts,

I returned my 2009 Alpine white with red interior Z4 3.5i for a buy back from BMW last Friday. The car had multiple problems with the fuel pumps and the injectors so I got fed up. I did love the car it was a fully loaded with 6MT. I am a little sad that it’s gone but now it’s time to get into another car.
I looked at everything out there and seems like I want to stay with BMW the current car that I want to get into is 2011 BMW E93 M3, the car is fully loaded again with every option but the 19 inch wheels. I was in love with my 6MT but the car has a DCT and I'm not so familiar with it. What are your thoughts of switching from a Z4 3.5i 6MT to E93 M3 DCT? This will be my first M car and my first DCT car. I wasn't ready to give up having a convertible that is why I'm going with E93 even with knowing the best M3 would be the E92. The M3 has the premium audio and I heard its better then the premium audio I had in the Z4. The M is Silverstone Metallic with Bamboo Beige Novillo Leather and Sycamore Anthracite Wood trim.
Please share your thoughts my fellow BMW experts, thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
shadowfax777
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport

M DCT is quicker than 6MT by 0.1sec. If I am going to have a M3, it has to be coupe (E92). Silverstone is nice, but not with bamboo/wood interior. But it is personal choice. I would have carbon leather trim and black leather. Also, it will be nice to have EDC.
      09-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
bmwmick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 Z3,'11 Z4 35i,'90 C4 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic85 View Post

I returned my 2009 Alpine white with red interior Z4 3.5i for a buy back from BMW last Friday.
Was this a purchase or a rental? If purchased, how did you make out on the $$$$ figure?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
vic85
Rep

It was a lemon buy back from BMW due to the problems the car was having and the new M3 is a Demo so I'm geting a very good lease deal the cars MSRP is 82K but I'll be paying 2500 out of pocket and 650 a month including tax
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Just remember there's no "park".
      09-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:

I returned my 2009 Alpine white with red interior Z4 3.5i for a buy back from BMW last Friday. The car had multiple problems with the fuel pumps and the injectors so I got fed up. I did love the car it was a fully loaded with 6MT. I am a little sad that it’s gone but now it’s time to get into another car.
I looked at everything out there and seems like I want to stay with BMW the current car that I want to get into is 2011 BMW E93 M3, the car is fully loaded again with every option but the 19 inch wheels. I was in love with my 6MT but the car has a DCT and I'm not so familiar with it. What are your thoughts of switching from a Z4 3.5i 6MT to E93 M3 DCT? This will be my first M car and my first DCT car. I wasn't ready to give up having a convertible that is why I'm going with E93 even with knowing the best M3 would be the E92. The M3 has the premium audio and I heard its better then the premium audio I had in the Z4. The M is Silverstone Metallic with Bamboo Beige Novillo Leather and Sycamore Anthracite Wood trim.
After stepping down (IMO) from a Z4 35i, just make sure you drive the M3 a good distance before you finally make up your mind. Not to say the M3 isn't a great car or that it doesn't have a lot going for it, but from a street performance and everyday driver point of view, the in-line 6 twin turbo is a better bet.

The M3 is all about track style top end performance, whereas the 35i's n54 engine has nice, street-able performance right out of the gate. On the other hand 1M has pretty much the same engine and might be closer to what you're accustomed to with the Z4.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
After stepping down (IMO) from a Z4 35i, just make sure you drive the M3 a good distance before you finally make up your mind. Not to say the M3 isn't a great car or that it doesn't have a lot going for it, but from a street performance and everyday driver point of view, the in-line 6 twin turbo is a better bet.

The M3 is all about track style top end performance, whereas the 35i's n54 engine has nice, street-able performance right out of the gate. On the other hand 1M has pretty much the same engine and might be closer to what you're accustomed to with the Z4.
I do have to admit that, whenever I can, I prefer to take the Z4 out around town over the M3

But if I had to pick which ONE car I would have, I would take my e93 M3 without question
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

I had a fully loaded '08 E93 silverstone over extended beige and loved the combination. I'm a big fan of the MDCT, and have one in my current '11 E92 M3 and 3.5is Z4. Also have a pdk boxster spyder, I like the MDCT performance over the porsche pdk, especially with the trans set at S3 or above you get the throttle blips on down shift which are sublime

Very rare color combo and you either love it or hate it. You can't go wrong with a 4 seat hardtop convertible with 414hp, especially the last year of the NA V8 M3. Go for it, you'll never look back.

Plus it is only a lease so if you don't like it you can always transfer it during the lease or return it at the end.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport

I agree with the person who said 1M. Besides the fact that it's not a vert I think it's exactly what your looking for.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
vic85
Rep

Finally got the car guys and I must say it’s an unbelievable car, the Z was very nice but the M3 is something else, I love everything about it. I'll post pictures soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
jdogg2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Carrera GTS

Congrats on the M3! I just did the opposite move, from an E93 M3 to the z4:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the comparison. In my short time with the Z (actually I have both cars for now), it has struck me that each has its merits and drawbacks. For the M3, the first and most noticeable difference to me has been the engine. The V8 revs and sounds so incredible, its a great feeling the first time you start it up and drive around. The other thing that is great about the M3 is the suspension. I can't imagine how good the E92 must be, but even the E93 suspension to me feels tighter and the car seems to hug the road around turns better than the Z. Drawbacks for the M3 aren't many, but the gas mileage sucks! I don't mind so much the MPG, but I have hated having to go to the gas station every 5 days to fill gas (I typically got 200 miles per tank). Also, while the engine is great when you drive aggressively and stay in the high RPM range, I have also wished for more low-end grunt when driving around town.

I like the engine in the Z4 also. The torque is fantastic and I like the exhaust sound from the Z4, but the engine sounds so quiet to me compared to the M3. The MT included with the ///M package on the Z is fantastic. The shifter reminds me of the one I had on my 2004 330i ZHP, with shorter throws than those in my M3. The clutch is lighter and more linear also. I like the lighter weight and smaller feel of the car, and I feel like the interior is better than the one in my M3 (more interesting and more elegant). The suspension does feels more floaty to me though. In any case, they are both fantastic cars and I hope that I never have any problems with the Z (no problems with the M3 over 3 years!).

//'04 330i ZHP (gone) //'07 E92 335i (gone)//'08 SG E93 M3 (gone)
//'11 Z4 sDrive35i (gone)//'11 Jet Black E92 M3 (gone)
//'11 Carrera GTS

Last edited by jdogg2000; 09-16-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
^ get rid of the run flat tires and your Z4 will handle much better!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
^ get rid of the run flat tires and your Z4 will handle much better!
True, but the M3 in Sport+ is still much better, both on the street and the track.

And yes, I've tracked both my e93 M3 and e89 Z4
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
True, but the M3 in Sport+ is still much better, both on the street and the track.
persian, I don't think that that cdeslandes was saying better than the M3, just better than with the RFTs.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg2000 View Post
. . .Also, while the engine is great when you drive aggressively and stay in the high RPM range, I have also wished for more low-end grunt when driving around town.
This is a common misconception that people have when they read horsepower figures and don't realize those figures don't necessarily translate to street performance from a everyday driver point of view.

What a beautiful pic. The lines of the z4 are really stunning in that shot.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
billwr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i, sport, 7sp, etc...

I'm thinking of the same transition (Z4 to M3 Convertible) when I turn in my lease in the next 4 months or so.

I've enjoyed the Z4 quite a bit. Looks great, performs well and is just plain fun. That being said I've experience easily two times the number of service & reliability issues than the other 4 BMW's I've owned/leased over the years combined. I've experienced everything from multiple cracked 296 wheels (5), fuel pump replacements (2), hardtop malfunctions/repairs (3), Nav/computers system glitches (2) and a host of fit & finish issues - quite a lot for a little over two years!

As a former M6 owner, I'm looking forward to getting back to driving an M.
Appreciate 0