New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

in-cabin camera?

Just wondering if any members have them or any suggestions for a setup? I want one primarily so that I know what's happening to my car and who's in the vicinity when I'm away from the parking lot. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F83 M4 Convertible 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
So you want a security camera inside the car so you can watch whats going on when youre not there?

Thats a lil OD
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOOF View Post
So you want a security camera inside the car so you can watch whats going on when youre not there?

Thats a lil OD
What's OD? I think you meant 'OCD'? ...and, no, I'm not.

Well, I've had some punks splash some grape drink substance on the car, so I'm not taking any more chances. The stupid thing is that they just put little dabs of it in small areas, not as if they drenched the car or damaged it in any permanent way. Hence, such annoying acts I wanna catch and report in the future.

I've always said that jealousy is the worst emotion...it's not as if I'm driving a Ferrari, but that is not justified in any event regardless of whatever I drive. Still, it's very annoying, disgusting and cowardly behavior and I just want some peace of mind. So, either I get a cam setup or just wait in the bushes next time w/ my aluminum bat.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Chuck Tung
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4 35i

Garage List
Could get a gopro, with a fisheye lens, and set on a 2-sec-per-shot time-lapse photography
      09-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I nearly bought the Blackvue DR300G in car camera because it has a motion detector recording setup and you can hard wire it in to always have power.
Then I looked into the AMON SIV M9 because it has two cameras - one going forward and one that shoots the interior.

At the end of the day I bought the Contour GPS to get the HD recording and GPS tracking - because my needs are more for recording happy driving memories than they are for recording malicious actions of others.

WHile the Contour is not set up for the time lapse - a word to the developers might get them to quickly add the feature - they have a forum that takes ideas and problems from the user community and their feedback and response time so far has been exceptional.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Jordanpryce
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 30i

Just park in your garage....
      09-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Jordanpryce
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 30i

video is useless to prevent the action, and honestly the police aren't going be able to identify the criminals from your video. If it's a reoccurring issue, I'd stop parking at that location. I hate leaving my car anywhere unsecured, but I'm not interested in getting my ass kicked (or worse) by 6 teenagers either.
      09-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanpryce View Post
Just park in your garage....
You don't take your car out in public? Obviously this happened when I was parked in a public parking lot doing errands, etc. Luckily, this only happened once, but once is enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanpryce View Post
video is useless to prevent the action, and honestly the police aren't going be able to identify the criminals from your video. If it's a reoccurring issue, I'd stop parking at that location. I hate leaving my car anywhere unsecured, but I'm not interested in getting my ass kicked (or worse) by 6 teenagers either.
Better than nothing. Anyone cowardly enough to touch another man's car w/o the owner being present I doubt would be hard to handle face-to-face. Cowards are cowards.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Why not contact the local business to request to view their security tapes?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Why not contact the local business to request to view their security tapes?
It's no biggie, just some drink stains that I wiped off on the spot. Had it been something permanent, I would've done something.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
battery drain?

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
this might help .... ----> CLICK

Then I find it more secure to park in a secure lot near the attendant or on a busy street with parking meters, seams to work for me.

One never knows. a few years back our e28 535is got keyed on Mill Street all around the car, they did not miss a spot it was an expensive re-paint job. Some kids we figure or some idiot that was mad we took his parking spot who knows.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Thx guys. On 2nd thought, it may have been a bird w/ some weird purple poo lol. It doesn't seem like something a human could do, esp w/ just small circles of grape drops that turned black and crusty. If some vandal really wanted to destroy/get my attn, I doubt that he would just leave 2 small, circular drops on the hood and little specks elsewhere.

Anyway, still interested in onboard cam ideas.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Took a road trip up to BC last week... not once but twice i had guys almost plow into first my door and then my wifes door by attempting to change lanes and not seeing me until i laid on the horn. To top it off they both got pissed off at me..., ME! You're merging into my lane while I'm right beside you and it's my fault?! The 2nd jerk ended up parking behind me on the ferry and I'm fairly certain that he broke my stubby antenna while we were upstairs. I noticed in the side mirror about :30 after leaving the ferry that it didn't look right. Sure sure enough it was split back to one corner and then pushed back. Funny thing is he avoided eye contact when we got out of the car but I did give some thought to whether or not i should be leaving the car. Oh well, only 40 bucks down the tubes, better than paint work.

A camera would have been nice that way i could review when I returned and then smacked him upside the head with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
Took a road trip up to BC last week... not once but twice i had guys almost plow into first my door and then my wifes door by attempting to change lanes and not seeing me until i laid on the horn. To top it off they both got pissed off at me..., ME! You're merging into my lane while I'm right beside you and it's my fault?! The 2nd jerk ended up parking behind me on the ferry and I'm fairly certain that he broke my stubby antenna while we were upstairs. I noticed in the side mirror about :30 after leaving the ferry that it didn't look right. Sure sure enough it was split back to one corner and then pushed back. Funny thing is he avoided eye contact when we got out of the car but I did give some thought to whether or not i should be leaving the car. Oh well, only 40 bucks down the tubes, better than paint work.

A camera would have been nice that way i could review when I returned and then smacked him upside the head with it.
If an incident like that happened to me, and the same assho$% parked next to me on a ferry or even in a parking lot, I will talk with him immediately after we both parked our cars and explain the rules of the road ....and tell him that if anything happens to my car while I am not looking at it the assumption is that he did it and he'll get the same, if not more, done back to his car, so he better not even think about it. Then copy his license plate number down while he watches me.

I now have that entire situation all pre-planned if it ever occurs.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #16
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
If an incident like that happened to me, and the same assho$% parked next to me on a ferry or even in a parking lot, I will talk with him immediately after we both parked our cars and explain the rules of the road ....and tell him that if anything happens to my car while I am not looking at it the assumption is that he did it and he'll get the same, if not more, done back to his car, so he better not even think about it. Then copy his license plate number down while he watches me.

I now have that entire situation all pre-planned if it ever occurs.
LOL

I think the legal term for that kind of planning is "pre-meditated"

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:

You paid $40 for a stubby antenna?

I'll sell you mine for 30!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

In both cases the guys had women present and instead of just acknowledging the mistake felt they needed to Puff up. The 2nd guy really didn't expect to get parked behind me and I don't think I was quite what he was expecting to get out of the car and wouldn't look at me. Anyway I suspect after a bit he felt he pussed out so he felt he had to do something to save face, hoping I wouldn't notice. Curiously that had changed positons by the time I returned so that she was driving.

Yes I foolishly bought the official BMW stubby... Have since ordered the cheap on from Uk Ebay
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:

That sucks. I can't stand cowards and ppl that damage your stuff when they are wrong. Wow...
Appreciate 0