New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #23
okevino
MR x.
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335is DCT

Garage List
definitely.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #24
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Only place I back in is my garage.
      09-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #25
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

Usually, the exceptions would be when people are waiting or when i wanna park close to a curb, which is much easier when u can see that curb out the window :P
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #26
BobKingerman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i, 1969 Mustang

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Yes, rear PDC is nice for parking garages cause you can back up within 6 inches of the wall

2007 335i E90 BSM Depo Tail, Matte Grill, AFE DCI, JB4, Debadge, Matte Black Avant Garde M310, Blacked Out Trim, Mtech v3 AE
Future Mods: Tint, Catless DPs
E90post.com E9x Picture GAME!!! 2 Points Challenges Girl, Office Space
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #27
BMCoupe_782
Bavarian Fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 328xi TiAg

I've started doing it recently. It's more of a "show" thing than practicality. Although, it does make life easier in some situations where you know backing out is going to be a major pain.
| ESS n52 Tune | BMW Performance Intake/Exhaust | LUX H8 v3 AE | GP Thunder 8500K fogs/corners | LED: signals/interior | V1 hardwired | debadge | AC pedals | Performance shift knob/boot | CF e-brake | Aero lip | m3 side skirts/spoiler | MB kidneys | Strut brace | Painted reflectors | Painted Calipers/Hubs | 35% 3M tint | Smoked tails | CF Roundels | 19" Miro 942 | Conti DWS | H&R Springs for xi | Bilstein Shocks| Nxt: Alpine Subs/Amps
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #28
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Never. Don't have time for that shit and hate waiting for others to take 5 minutes to do it.
yea, I used to do it all the time in the same spot at school but now theres no time and really no reason to

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #29
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
I do it when I can, but if there is someone waiting behind me then I won't. I hate waiting for people to back in so i'm not going to do the same thing to other people lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #30
Ounce
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 2014 VW Jetta GLI

I hate people who do this. Around here it seems to be mostly rednecks who think they look cool/masterful by backing their 2 ton truck into a spot.

Newsflash, you look like a freaking tard and you're holding everyone else up. Park like a normal human being for the love of god, you're not that cool.
      09-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #31
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Always. I don't care about the other people behind me. I drive a BMW, ergo, I'm much more superior to those plebians.

Actually, I always do back in - you're going to take almost that amount of time one way or another (going in or getting out), so its much easier to back in, than back out. Unless there's a pull through...then of course not
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #32
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ounce View Post
you're holding everyone else up.
+1. Much faster driving forward into the space with boundaries and reversing into the aisle where "placement" doesn't matter than doing the opposite. Someone once told me that they need to back up leaving anyway, so it makes no difference if you back in...

Edit, someone above me just said it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post

Actually, I always do back in - you're going to take almost that amount of time one way or another (going in or getting out), so its much easier to back in, than back out. Unless there's a pull through...then of course not
False. Backing in takes more time than pulling out forward saves you. How is it easier to back into a strictly defined space than it is into a general "area" where there are no lines you need to drive between?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #33
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I found back in easier to me...
I do that except when posted in the parking space that it prohibited. Or at an angled spot.
      09-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #34
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
so if you could, you'd drive your car around in reverse, as that's easier?

Sorry, but there's a reason you drive forwards. If backing in is easier, you must really suck at driving forwards. Just admit you do it because you think it's cool
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #35
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
so if you could, you'd drive your car around in reverse, as that's easier?

Sorry, but there's a reason you drive forwards. If backing in is easier, you must really suck at driving forwards. Just admit you do it because you think it's cool

you're a lawyer? loves to interpret people's statement in some other ways to favor your sarcasm? good for you...

duh....this thread is asking "reverse in parking", nothing related to forward driving.

Backing in to a sparking spot requires less turning radius. I always see a lot of cars who wanted to pull into a spot realize their front bumper will hit another car and ends up pulling in and out 20 times.

And I don't have to make a wide angle turn like a 18 wheeler to pull into a spot, and reverse in its like making your rear axle like a pivot and turns your car into a spot.

Watever, only america is so friggin stupid that no one knows how to park.
      09-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #36
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post

you're a lawyer? loves to interpret people's statement in some other ways to favor your sarcasm? good for you...
I interpreted that you said it was easier. Driving forwards is easier than driving in reverse, especially in tight spaces.

Quote:

Backing in to a sparking spot requires less turning radius. I always see a lot of cars who wanted to pull into a spot realize their front bumper will hit another car and ends up pulling in and out 20 times.
I literally cannot remember the last time I saw this happen. And if this is you, everytime you try and pull into a space forwards, well, don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
And I don't have to make a wide angle turn like a 18 wheeler to pull into a spot, and reverse in its like making your rear axle like a pivot and turns your car into a spot.

Watever, only america is so friggin stupid that no one knows how to park.
But you still need to "overshoot" the space in some way, shape or form. In the end, it isn't really a big deal. But I'm not buying the argument that it's easier, or that it saves time, cuz it's not, and it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #37
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I interpreted that you said it was easier. Driving forwards is easier than driving in reverse, especially in tight spaces.

I literally cannot remember the last time I saw this happen. And if this is you, everytime you try and pull into a space forwards, well, don't know what to tell you.

But you still need to "overshoot" the space in some way, shape or form. In the end, it isn't really a big deal. But I'm not buying the argument that it's easier, or that it saves time, cuz it's not, and it doesn't.
well, I never said it saves time. it might probably spend me another 20-30 seconds? But its more like a habit and routine for me to reverse in to a spot.
Plus is safer to see out from your front windshield when you pull out.

Yes, whoever pulling out from a spot in reverse should be more careful. But I've seen many who put into reverse and floored his car out of the spot and almost hit my car in just inches.

Anyways, it is more intuitive and convenient for me in most cases; even if you don't think so.
      09-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #38
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

I'm siding with E90Slam on this one.

Backing in is far safer when you are trying to exit. I don't recall ever having to reverse when I'm attempting to pull out, but I'm also not driving a large vehicle which is really the only time where I could see this might be necessary. So the times are approximately the same at least from the point of view of the time it takes me.

I have little faith in the other drivers out there that they would be able to see me if I was reversing blind out of a spot...people seem to be getting worse, not better. I think we need some European driving schools and licensing over here - honestly, when I visited Amsterdam / Germany, it was the most pleasant driving experience I've ever had.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #39
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

I always get a lot more pleasure when my girl backs herself up into my parking spot...
      09-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #40
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

i used to do it when i got my 325ci back in high school and i thought my car was the king of the world and wanted to show it off .. but no ever since then never
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #41
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 silver/grey Z4 3.0si

Pull in forward. Backing out isnt THAT hard.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #42
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
Yes but in Los Angeles backing in into a parking spaces is illegal on some cities... Like Glendale...

but i always watch out for signs. 98% of the time i back into spaces.
Why is it illegal?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #43
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

I never had any problems parking front first, plus I don't have the patience to back in a stall. Although I should prob try to get some use out of my folding side mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #44
BMWonderful
When I think of something witty it will go here
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330

I can't understand why a few of you are making out the action of backing into a parking space as a complicated only to be attempted by the likes of the stig maneuver... Then again, after reading this forum for a little while I can almost understand, there seems to be a shit ton of bad drivers on here.

Seriously, if you can't back into a spot one shot and you take two or three times to get it I don't want to share the raod with you, you seem to have not yet mastered those shiny things on the outside of the car called mirrors. Are the people who can't use their mirrors to back into an 8 foot wide space the same people who can't use their mirrors while cutting across three lanes of I5 to get to the left lane? For fucks sake, the mirror on the passenger side even automaticaly tilts down and lets you look right at the line... how hard is it?

And if you say you have never had to wait while some idiot takes three or four shots at pulling into a narrow spot head first then you either haven't had your licence for more than a week or you only go into parking lots after midnight. I drive way more than most people and the stupidness displayed in parking lots is right up there with people in this region trying to merge onto a freeway at speed, horrible horrible drivers.
Appreciate 0