New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
jvilla107
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 Skyscraper/Magma

Garage List
2023 BMW 430i GC  [8.00]
2023 BMW Z4  [9.94]
Audio System Burns on 2013 E89

A few weeks ago, after having the car for just 8 weeks and 1,100 miles , I had a defective Nav screen replaced by my local dealer after the motor that retracts it into the dash failed. The dealer did a great job replacing it except that when they reprogrammed the unit they didn't follow the procedure properly.
How do i know that they didn't follow the procedure properly you may ask? Well, while driving and listening to the radio; i lost all sound and the cabin filled with the distinct smell of burning electrical components and a lovely smokey fog.
i took the car to my selling dealer, ( who i should have gone to originally, but didn't because of the distance ). They informed me that there was a TSB that specifically addresses my issue. The cause; improperly following the reprogramming procedure after replacing the NAV screen.
I'd like to thank Open Road BMW for there quick assessment and help in resolving the issue.
As for the other folks.... Guys you have to follow ALL the instructions. ( I'm glad these guys don't work on airplanes
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Which dealer did you go to the first time around? I can't speak for Open Road BMW Service as I've never been there, I went to Park Avenue and they did a fantastic job. I'd imagine you are from Princeton so Park Avenue is more up-north, but doing the job right will easily get you back the time and hassled saved from a dealer getting it wrong. You can also look at Paul Miller BMW, as I've heard good thing about them.
Appreciate 0