New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions

10-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Email alert links don't work in Firefox 7

when i get an email notification for a thread reply, the link has always been bimerpost.com/blah, which automatically changes to 1addicts.com/blah. however, now the bimmerpost.com/blah url doesn't work in ff7 - it gives me a "corrupted content" error.

apparently the most common cause of this ff7 'quirk' is inconsistent line breaks in the response header.

are any of the mods/techs capable of fixing this? or are ff7 users forever destined to correct the url to 1addicts.com manually?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

One more here
Basically the problem with this is probably something wrong at Bimmerpost end not xbimmers. The link that comes with e-mail is targeting bimmerpost.com/forums
and it seems like the server does not understand and direct the visitor to correct site due to goto=newpost attribute.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&goto=newpost

After receiving corrupt content message, you can still go to your topic by removing &goto=newpost and then bimmerpost will direct it to xbimmers.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=597997
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
bmwmick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 Z3,'11 Z4 35i,'90 C4 Vette

Corrupted Content

I had posted this above when my search turned up nothing when I searched
here for the error message.

It seems the forums are using a non-standard way of sending URLś via the notification Emails. Fire Fox flags the URL as "Corrupted Content Error" , "The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the data transmission was detected.Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem" and will not load the page. They consider it a security violation to have two redirects or two locations in one URL.
This began with FF 7.0 when they closed this security hole.

To get around the failure to load, simply remove the last part of the URL ie:

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&goto=newpost

Remove everything after 564325 and it will work normally.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=564325

Just an FYI for FF users.
Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

You mean the problem doesn't exist with IE? If this is a bug we should just report it over at mozilla.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
bmwmick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
You mean the problem doesn't exist with IE? If this is a bug we should just report it over at mozilla.

I went to Mozilla first, here is their answer:

There are two location redirects sent by the server on that request and Firefox doesn't allow that.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1&goto=newpost

Location: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...1&goto=newpost
Location: http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1#post10568611

If you leave out the &goto=newpost then only one redirect is sent and it works.
If you click the above link that has a trailing ')' then that also makes the server send only one redirect because that link is no longer valid.

IE has not closed this hole.......yet.

Here is a Bimmerpost answer:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Unfortunately, I can't explain why firefox would decide to handle links in this way but of course it is their prerogative. It seems the only solution would be to use a different browser as obviously when you follow that example link you would want to link into e89.zpost.com and not any other bimmerpost site, and so the server properly corrects the link for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
pathetic responses on both fronts.

1) bimmerpost should fix their forum.
2) firefox should have issued a warning with an option to continue, rather than a hard stop.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
bmwmick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The Forum may be fixed....

Today, the Email notification links seem to work. No Corrupted Content Error.
I'm now running FF 9.0.1 FF may have 'broken' their code to make it fail like IE does.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
It's not really fixed. If you're not seeing it, then yes, Mozilla must have changed Firefox. I still get the error in Chrome. The simple fact is, Bimmerpost is doing something it shouldn't. It's sending 2 header redirects (one to send you to the right domain and another to figure out what the newest post is).

Whether or not the browser stops altogether is up to the browser developers. But in reality, the links should either be from the proper domain or it should only do one redirect (i.e. redirect from bimmerpost.com to the correct forum domain and parse the "goto=newpost" in the same call, not do another redirect just to find the newest post).