New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

PAS steering weight

Have always thought my steering was heavy on my 2009 23i. Some weeks ago drove a 2012 model and steering was much lighter, even when stationary.
Always spoilt the enjoyment of the car, but today just seemed to get me down.
A previous passenger laughed at my two handed efforts until they had a go at turning wheel from passenger seat.

Does anyone know if the steering assist was made lighter on later models.
One test is to attach a spring balance and measure the force required to start to turn wheel. Anyone have any specs on that.
Rather try to fix myself rather than the stealer condemn it outright and ask something silly to replace.

Reading BMW doc. suggests any report of heavy steering to check for corrosion on the power cable to the steering motor.

Seems in their wisdom the previous gen Z4 motor was mounted on the steering column. Now its on the rack where it can catch all the damp and get submerged in floods.
Seems the motor gearbox may have some kind of valve fitted
Appreciate 0