New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-08-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Question about wheel and tire protection

I was reading all the posts about the 296 wheels on this forum yesterday which got me a concerned to say the least. I did get the wheel and tire protection plan (for 5 years) with my nearly new CPO car with 296 wheels. In reading the brochure it says "replacement of damaged wheel due to road hazard". Does BMW consider a pothole a road hazard? I guess what I am asking is with this coverage, will they replace any wheel that goes bad on my car? It seems like in what I read that some wheels crack on their own and BMW claims a pothole was hit and then will not cover it (under regular warranty). How much peace of mind do I have? Will they replace anything without a hassle with the protection plan? I would not have chosen these wheels but everything else on the car was what I wanted, the car was in flawless condition and the price was right. I know I can change them out but I am not ready to do that yet.

PS- I am loving my car my husband wanted to take it to work and give me the Prius.....no way on that one!
      11-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z428i

Jayda. You have read all of the comments about these wheels so you know more than I do at this point. It seems that these wheels are defective from the factory. Is that what you understand? If so, why would they not be covered under the standard warranty covering defective material or workmanship? The tires should be covered under the tire manufactures warranty. This tire and wheel insurance policy sounds like nothing more than additional profit for the dealer. The only word you need to know when in the finance office is NO. How much was this tire and wheel policy?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Jayda. You have read all of the comments about these wheels so you know more than I do at this point. It seems that these wheels are defective from the factory. Is that what you understand? If so, why would they not be covered under the standard warranty covering defective material or workmanship? The tires should be covered under the tire manufactures warranty. This tire and wheel insurance policy sounds like nothing more than additional profit for the dealer. The only word you need to know when in the finance office is NO. How much was this tire and wheel policy?
Actually after reading the posts I did not at all conclude that everyone was getting the wheels covered under the regular warranty. Some were and some were not (getting the wheels covered). Due to the lack of consistency I did get the tire and wheel protection at a cost of $875 for 5 years (this was at a discount of $400 from the dealer and a coupon I had). I did find out today that damage from a pothole is covered by the additional protection package (but might not be covered under the warranty as some people on this forum indicate). I called BMW today on the extent of the protection package. So it should be hassle free if something happens (any road hazard including potholes). For me, I don't want hassle and I do want peace of mind (hate to play the gender card, but I am female). I don't want to beat a dead horse here and I shouldn't have made the first post since calling BMW was an easy answer.
      11-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Jada. Thanks for the response. I don't believe damage from hitting a pothole would ever be considered a warranty issue. Defective material or workmannship not involved. I do believe your auto insurance would cover a damaged wheel from hitting a pothole. Your deductable may be $500.00 or $1,000.00 which means it would be better to pay for the wheel repair yourself rather than file a claim. I guess it's a role of the dice. I am 67 years old and have never had a tire or wheel damaged where replacement or repair was required. I think $1,275.00 for wheel and tire insurance is unbelieveable.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The rims are 19 inch and are expensive to replace in addition to the run flat staggered tires. I have never had a car, until this one, that I was compelled to get the extra protection plan. I was happy to get the dealer discount plus an extra $200 off. I couldn't justify in my mind over $1,000 for it. It is a shame one would have to seriously consider this on a higher end BMW. Shame on you BMW. I have wanted this car for sometime. I would seriously be disappointed if the car has alot of "issues". Drove multiple Honda's in my younger days over many, many, many trouble free miles!
      11-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Jayda I hope you enjoy many trouble free miles in your new car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Z4@Phuket
Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [8.00]
2004 BMW 525i  [0.00]
What is your insurance system?
In Thailand, with first class insurance (which I am paying US$ 1,500 a year)
they will pay 100% for wheel repair or replacement and 50% tire replacement with only $30 deductable
      11-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
Shame on you BMW. I have wanted this car for sometime. I would seriously be disappointed if the car has alot of "issues". Drove multiple Honda's in my younger days over many, many, many trouble free miles!
It is a known fact that cars like BMWs, MBenz, Porsche will never ever be as reliable as the old Hondas were and still are

I late model 90s Honda that's been taken care of will give you less problems than a brand new 2011/2012 BMW

This is cause those cars are simple, to say the least

The more electronics/gadgets/computers/performance parts/etc you have, the more chances something can break and go wrong

Don't ever assume just cause you paid 70k (or whatever) for a BMW that it will be more reliable than a 20k Honda

My grandma's Camry has been in service less in 3+ years than my brand new M3 has been in less than a year
Actually, the camry has been in service less than my 2011 Z4, which I got only 3 months ago.

You don't buy a BMW expecting reliability lol

Not sure how your wheel/tire insurance is set up, but I have 0 deductible with unlimited amount of claims

I paid $700 for 3 years of protection, even though I only have a 2 year lease (they didn't have a 2 year plan)

this includes wheels and tires, and pot holes are a road hazard, as are nails etc.
Appreciate 0