New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #705
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Tip amount really depends on how "used" the mattress was. Blood stained, definitely $10ea.
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      01-16-2017, 11:44 PM   #706
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I think I was a cheap ass today as a new mattress/box spring was delivered and they hauled away the old set and I only gave $10 each to the two delivery guys. Thoughts? FYI, I did leave the old set outside for them before they arrived.
I don't think I have ever tipped delivery guys $10 each.

Their job is to deliver the item to my house. If they went above and beyond and did something to go out of their expected role, then I would tip them $10.

Example, they weren't supposed to take the old mattress, but offered to take it away for me. Then, I'd tip them like that.

Move next door to me so then all the people who deliver stuff to you will feel so appreciative of you.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 12:09 AM   #707
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Just the tip.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #708
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Quote:
I think I was a cheap ass today as a new mattress/box spring was delivered and they hauled away the old set and I only gave $10 each to the two delivery guys. Thoughts? FYI, I did leave the old set outside for them before they arrived.

Their job is to deliver the item to my house. If they went above and beyond and did something to go out of their expected role, then I would tip them $10.

Example, they weren't supposed to take the old mattress, but offered to take it away for me. Then, I'd tip them like that.

Move next door to me so then all the people who deliver stuff to you will feel so appreciative of you.
Curious to know what happens when you come across say bartenders or waiters/ waitresses? Their job is to take your order, serve and ensure that everything is alright... So, no tip?

It's all personal preference, but I'm probably the polar opposite of you... Interesting to see other people's take...
Appreciate 1
Biorin2784.50
      01-17-2017, 05:43 AM   #709
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
When it comes to waitstaff I usually tip 20% but I always make sure I tip the delivery driver well. Trust me, they remember. One of the main reasons why we moved to FL from NY is because I couldn't find a job for four years after I was laid off. I had to deliver pizza during those four years and made good cash but I would go beyond for the customers who tipped well. Those who didn't tip, their food was delivered last.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #710
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I will no longer read posts with the word Belgie in it !

If you had only 0.000000000000001% respect for me ..you would call me Philippe !
Because Belgie = "Insane taxes + Jihadis with Boom" !
...., but that's your BP OT name..., Belgie. Always has been, always will be. Embrace it.
Appreciate 1
shoei7778.00
      01-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #711
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
...., but that's your BP OT name..., Belgie. Always has been, always will be. Embrace it.
"Boom"!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #712
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Curious to know what happens when you come across say bartenders or waiters/ waitresses? Their job is to take your order, serve and ensure that everything is alright... So, no tip?

It's all personal preference, but I'm probably the polar opposite of you... Interesting to see other people's take...
Restaurant servers typically make $2.30/hr - it's most state's minimum wage for them, because there is an expectation that they work for tips. I think it's the same for pizza delivery guys, but am not sure?

Some states/cities increased the minimum wage for wait people to $8-10/hr (like WA), and some also have mandatory health insurance for restaurant workers (San Francisco).

Delivery drivers, etc. generally earn at least minimum wage and up - like $7/hr+. There's not an expectation that they earn tips, so I don't feel obligated to tip.

That said, I tip just about everyone who darkens my door. I also usually buy lunch if they are working at my house most of the day. I also tip the garbage guys at Christmas. It doesn't cost that much, and it's fun to brighten someone's day.
      01-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #713
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Restaurant servers typically make $2.30/hr - it's most state's minimum wage for them, because there is an expectation that they work for tips. I think it's the same for pizza delivery guys, but am not sure?

Some states/cities increased the minimum wage for wait people to $8-10/hr (like WA), and some also have mandatory health insurance for restaurant workers (San Francisco).

Delivery drivers, etc. generally earn at least minimum wage and up - like $7/hr+. There's not an expectation that they earn tips, so I don't feel obligated to tip.

That said, I tip just about everyone who darkens my door. I also usually buy lunch if they are working at my house most of the day. I also tip the garbage guys at Christmas. It doesn't cost that much, and it's fun to brighten someone's day.
How do you tip the garbage men? I mean, do you tape an envelope to the top of the garbage can lid?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #714
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How do you tip the garbage men? I mean, do you tape an envelope to the top of the garbage can lid?
You go outside when they show up the last pickup before Christmas, and hand them money and say "Merry Christmas, and I really appreciate all you do."
      01-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #715
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Yup we tip and give the trash and post people cookies at the holidays. As you said easy to do and they really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #716
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
I watch Project Runway.
Appreciate 2
upstatedoc7555.50
PoorLurker1135.00
      01-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #717
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sChariot View Post
I watch Project Runway.
It's like a double confession... Project Runway and coming out at same time... The latter of the two I get but the Project Runway part I cannot overlook...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #718
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #719
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
"Boom"!
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:28 AM   #720
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

What's a project runway?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #721
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
What's a project runway?
Have you seen that commercial where Tiki Barber runs a barbershop? It's like that but with more crabs.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #722
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Have you seen that commercial where Tiki Barber runs a barbershop? It's like that but with more crabs.
You lost me at Tiki.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #723
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Quote:
What's a project runway?
I think it's a reality show about pilots.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #724
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
You lost me at Tiki.
He lost me at commercial.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #725
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:

Waiters? Waitresses? I tip them.

I do wish America would raise food prices and include the tip and tax in the menu price.

Go to a steak house
Person A buys a new york steak for $50.
Person B buys a wagyu grade 5 for $500.
Each person tips 20%.

Why should Person B pay $100 in tips when Person A pays $10? Is it more challenging to take the Wagyu out from the kitchen? This is the same restaurant so the service will be the same especially given that the two people are at the same table. I cannot follow the logic in that. That makes my [insert mental issue here] flare up.

It's like a McDonalds sign that says:
6 piece nugget = 1 sauce
10 piece nugget = 2 sauces
20 piece nugget = 3 sauces

No! You cannot do that. Two 10 piece nuggets is the same as one 20 piece nugget! You can't take away 50% of my sauce because I called it a 20 piece. Where is the logic in that?

Pizza delivery? I drive there myself and pick it up. I'll carry my own luggage from the curb to the cart. I will park my own car. I will open my own door. I will take the paper towel from the machine myself (at the club).

I do not value people doing those things for me. Therefore, I have a hard time paying for it. On top of that, I expect literally nothing in the form of tipping or incentives in my job.

I find comfort in black and white.

Watch this and then see how choice isn't always a good thing. Then, relate that to tipping and how opened ended it is.

Last edited by PoorLurker; 01-17-2017 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1696.00
      01-17-2017, 11:23 PM   #726
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

I've been craving a milkshake for the past month. But I always forget that happy hour is from 2-5.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0