New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
tklein2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Installing COBB AccessPORT on My Z4!!

Hello. I kow that according to COBB's website they don't offer a specific tune for the Z4 yet, so I called them. They were happy to talk to me.. they said they would give me a 10% discount and free shipping if I would try it out on my Z4. They said that there is a small chance it does not recognize my ECU. If that occurres I will perform a ROM dump, send it to them and they will send me a firmware update within 5 business days. From what I can tell, COBB is a reputable company with tons of experience in ECU flashing, although only since this year for BMW. As part of the agreement, they would like for me to send them data regardless of how satisfied I am with the results. Also, they have a 30 day money back garuntee. What can go wrong... LOL. I'm excited, wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
KCSchoey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z435i

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. I've heard good things about the Cobb AP!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
kvport
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

I had the cobb on my 135 and its was great.

Getting my Z4 soon and would be great if it worked as well.

Let us know what happens!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
tklein2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Sending COBB AccessPORT Back

I finally tried the accessport this weekend. Last week I tried it, but it didn't recognize my ECU. No problem, downloaded it and sent to Cobb. Within a couple days, they had a beta version for me. It installed fine and showed good acceleration during moderate driving. However, at WOT at around 30 mph, the RPMs shot up to 7k but I didn't really go anywhere. The RPMs would go down to 4k and the DCT would engage and I would accelerate. It felt like it was accidently shifting into neutral. I was able to repeat this behavior every time.

I talked to Cobb and told them I didn't have the stomach for tuning my Z4 remotely. Afraid I would ruin my transmission. They sent me a return label and were very pleasant about the whole thing.

I'm thinking of going with ESS. I won't a company that has taken the DCT into consideration. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Go with the ESS tune. We currently run it on the 3D Design NA car and it is incredible. PM me if you have any questions
      08-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

Has anyone retried the Cobb accessport on the Z4 with DCT since then (this thread is over 1 year old)?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
Drew@Sonic MS
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I've been using Cobb with my Z4 for a little bit. Right now it's off since I just got the newest software from BMW when I got my roof serviced. Cobb is still working on the new firmware for the ROM.

But my experience with Cobb on the V4 maps was pretty awesome. I had the opportunity to drive a good 4 hours right after installing it with my downpipes and exhaust. The car really pulled a lot harder... With the Cobb off the car right now, I really don't enjoy the stock power of the Z lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew@Sonic MS View Post
I've been using Cobb with my Z4 for a little bit. Right now it's off since I just got the newest software from BMW when I got my roof serviced. Cobb is still working on the new firmware for the ROM.

But my experience with Cobb on the V4 maps was pretty awesome. I had the opportunity to drive a good 4 hours right after installing it with my downpipes and exhaust. The car really pulled a lot harder... With the Cobb off the car right now, I really don't enjoy the stock power of the Z lol.
awesome. Which downpipe? stage 2 maps? stock exhaust and intake? Had it on a dyno?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Drew@Sonic MS
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

AR Catless, I was only on Stage 1 as a matter of fact. My HPF intercooler is on it's way and I just did a simple drop in filter to avoid heatsoak issues - As soon as Cobb gets the updated firmware for the new ROM, I'll have updates with Stage 2+FMIC. Unfortunately no dyno and I believe it's pretty tough since I have a DCT.
Appreciate 0