New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

Beware style 296 wheels

I know that our fellow forum member had cracked wheel with style 296.
Recently I found more than 50% of people driving with 296 in Korea finding cracked wheel for style 296.
In Korea, style 296 is basic wheel for all 35s.
As this is being too much, most dealers in Korea are providing replacement for free.
If you do have bumpy road around you, do not consider 296 wheel on your choice as it is vulnerable to crack easily compare to other z4 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
ghani
Private
Syria
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 3.5i

good that i changed right away for some BMW Performance 313...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taYab View Post
Recently I found more than 50% of people driving with 296 in Korea finding cracked wheel for style 296.
As this is being too much, most dealers in Korea are providing replacement for free.
If you do have bumpy road around you, do not consider 296 wheel on your choice as it is vulnerable to crack easily compare to other z4 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghani View Post
good that i changed right away for some BMW Performance 313...
I did the same thing.

Does anyone know if the 296's have a rolled rim like the 313's ? I believe they are both pressure cast but only the 313 has a rolled rim, giving almost the same strength as a forged rim.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
heha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4

hi how do u know if the rim are crack without taking them out.

driving can feel?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
If 50% of the owners have problems with the 296 wheel, I would not replace it with an identical type, but offer an alternative. Otherwise people will come back because the problem isn't fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heha View Post
hi how do u know if the rim are crack without taking them out.

driving can feel?
Both of my rear wheels cracked around 11,000 Miles (18,000 KM). I now check my wheels 4 times a year at change out of the wheels (summer to winter set and again in the spring when changing winter set back to the summer wheel set). Three months after the season wheel change out I remove my rear wheels and check them also after a good cleaning.

You can see the example of a crack in this photo (more in my Photo Album, see link below.

In my humble opinion the cracks are mostly on the rear wheels, I strongly believe it is due to the stiff reinforced sidewall of the RFT and the 2.5 degree camber on our rear wheels.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-01-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

This is a big crack... Are cracks happening when hitting Potholes? Or from normal driving on average roads conditions??
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
This is a big crack... Are cracks happening when hitting Potholes? Or from normal driving on average roads conditions??
In my opinion this develops over time. We do go over bumps (you do feel it as you drive more so with the RFT then normal tires as you well know). In my opinion as we do go over those bumps and road imperfections (with the rear wheel 2.5 degree camber) stresses are transferred to the inner outer wheel rim(where you see the crack).

So in the long-run the build in stresses that are transferred to this point will have to go someplace some time and show up as a crack. First the crack is tiny i.e. a hairline crack then it opens up further and further to the size of the crack you see in the picture in my last post.

Think of a paper clip, you can bend it back and forth each time you do it it builds up more and more stresses then eventually it brakes.

I mention the hairline cracks since one of my wheels had 2 very fine hairline cracks (180 degree opposite to one another) that wheel was exchanged by my Canadian BMW dealership without any question. The wheel in the picture I am still waiting for resolution from BMW USA.

So one tip I can pass on to people running 19" wheels with RFT is "Check your wheels from time to time and make sure you monitor and maintain recommended tire pressure.

P.S.

Both my former rear wheels that developed cracks showed no evidence whatsoever of pothole damage. Cracked BMW wheels is nothing new especially if you have 19" wheels (something I unfortunately did not know when I purchased this car - goes to show one that one should research forums before one purchases a car like this). If you like to read more about cracked wheels make a search on this or other forums or Google "UK Watchdog Cracked BMW Wheels" there you will find massive posts and background information. Something I did rather much to late in a US hotel room while I was waiting for a replacement new rear wheel.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 02-05-2011 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Added a PS
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Boomer67
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0i, BMW K1600GT

Exclamation Is the 296 wheel model the only one with problems?

What about the 19 inch model 326M wheels which also come with run-flat tires? Anyone having any issues with cracking on those wheels or it is just the 296 wheels?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

There doesn't seem to be any reports of failure with the 326 so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep

I believe for E89, only 296 is experiencing this type of crack.
Of course wheel can crack even if it's like 10k or something.
It's just that this wheel is very and very vulnerable compare to other type.
I cannot explain why. If I knew the answer, I would be hired by BMW.
BMW has not solved the reason why 296 is cracking so often.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

I run my E93 on AC Schnizer 19", had no problem whatsoever on the rims for 3 years (when I sold the car), but the 2 rear tyres (2nd set, emmm 15 month old) were badly damaged fom the inside. The ruptures were in the radial inner side and were like 4mm deep.... Rims were intact... Which brings me to believe that the default is inu the 296 style...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
In my opinion this develops over time. We do go over bumps (you do feel it as you drive more so with the RFT then normal tires as you well know). In my opinion as we do go over those bumps and road imperfections (with the rear wheel 2.5 degree camber) stresses are transferred to the inner outer wheel rim(where you see the crack).

So in the long-run the build in stresses that are transferred to this point will have to go someplace some time and show up as a crack. First the crack is tiny i.e. a hairline crack then it opens up further and further to the size of the crack you see in the picture in my last post.

Think of a paper clip, you can bend it back and forth each time you do it it builds up more and more stresses then eventually it brakes.

I mention the hairline cracks since one of my wheels had 2 very fine hairline cracks (180 degree opposite to one another) that wheel was exchanged by my Canadian BMW dealership without any question. The wheel in the picture I am still waiting for resolution from BMW USA.

So one tip I can pass on to people running 19" wheels with RFT is "Check your wheels from time to time and make sure you monitor and maintain recommended tire pressure.

P.S.

Both my former rear wheels that developed cracks showed no evidence whatsoever of pothole damage. Cracked BMW wheels is nothing new especially if you have 19" wheels (something I unfortunately did not know when I purchased this car - goes to show one that one should research forums before one purchases a car like this). If you like to read more about cracked wheels make a search on this or other forums or Google "UK Watchdog Cracked BMW Wheels" there you will find massive posts and background information. Something I did rather much to late in a US hotel room while I was waiting for a replacement new rear wheel.
+1 thanks for the illustration!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I believe for E89, only 296 is experiencing this type of crack.
Of course wheel can crack even if it's like 10k or something.
It's just that this wheel is very and very vulnerable compare to other type.
I cannot explain why. If I knew the answer, I would be hired by BMW.
BMW has not solved the reason why 296 is cracking so often.
I am sure BMW knows why they fail, why would Bridgestone be redesigning RFT tires (now on Generation III). Our cars properly have Generation I or II RFT on our cars. To bad that the latest and greatest Bridgestone RFT Generation III is only available in Japan. The latest RFT Generation III has "Cooling Fins" on the side walls I wonder why, sure BMW knows why perhaps they are waiting for a class action suit

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Here is a interesting site all about RFT

Click for the LINK

Here are some more ...

Click here for more Forum discusins on the cracked wheel issues

More here ....

Click for the LINK

A friend of mine made this AutoCat drawing it shows pretty well where all the load of your rear wheels is concentrated it certainly does not take a Rocket Scientist to figure out why some alloy rear wheels on a BMW with RFT and a 2.5 degree camber seam to fail.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #16
MikeChrista
Private
Rep
Drives: SDRIVE35i Space Grey

Strange that this problem does not seem to be evident in the UK. I have the 19" 296 wheels and have checked them regularly since first reading about the problem and despite having hit a couple of neck juddering potholes all seems fine so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I too have style 296 and have no issues despite some nasty pothole encounters. I'd be interested how many people do not have this issue vs those that do.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #18
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

To the OP, not as sure how the dealers are setting up the option packages for their lot sales in your country, but in the States most of our dealers will order a 35i + Sport Package with the 19" wheel upgrade to the 296. It's almost like a "stock" wheel on a 35i. Again, in the States, based on this alone no doubt then 296's will more frequently have issues than the other wheel types.

BMW doesn't make it's own wheels but I've read there are one or two Land of Bavaria companies (name?) that produce them to BMW's spec. No doubt these companies are like Enkei that produces massive amounts of wheels for the US manufactures such as GM, Ford, etc. Pull one of the cast mag/aluminum wheels off my old S-10 Blazer and the word Enkei is embossed right there.

There's no mystery to the wheel's rim design, either. I doubt it varies much from one wheel type to another or one marque's style to another. Simply based on the number of spokes the 296 seem to be a very strong wheel, but on the inside edge of the wheel, there are no spokes. The bottom line: any lightweight wheel with a low profile tire will be susceptible.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #19
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I am sure BMW knows why they fail, why would Bridgestone be redesigning RFT tires (now on Generation III). Our cars properly have Generation I or II RFT on our cars. To bad that the latest and greatest Bridgestone RFT Generation III is only available in Japan. The latest RFT Generation III has "Cooling Fins" on the side walls I wonder why, sure BMW knows why perhaps they are waiting for a class action suit
But, that applies to all other 19 wheels that released around same time.
Not sure why only 296 having so much cracking.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
To the OP, not as sure how the dealers are setting up the option packages for their lot sales in your country, but in the States most of our dealers will order a 35i + Sport Package with the 19" wheel upgrade to the 296. It's almost like a "stock" wheel on a 35i. Again, in the States, based on this alone no doubt then 296's will more frequently have issues than the other wheel types.

BMW doesn't make it's own wheels but I've read there are one or two Land of Bavaria companies (name?) that produce them to BMW's spec. No doubt these companies are like Enkei that produces massive amounts of wheels for the US manufactures such as GM, Ford, etc. Pull one of the cast mag/aluminum wheels off my old S-10 Blazer and the word Enkei is embossed right there.

There's no mystery to the wheel's rim design, either. I doubt it varies much from one wheel type to another or one marque's style to another. Simply based on the number of spokes the 296 seem to be a very strong wheel, but on the inside edge of the wheel, there are no spokes. The bottom line: any lightweight wheel with a low profile tire will be susceptible.
Thanks for your post as you may know from photos in my Album, my 296 wheels were manufactured by RONAL in October 2008. I did take a series of close up photos (see below) It may very well be just like the the HPFP depending what Manufacturer produced the wheels and when for BMW.

In addition one does not know what people (that have no problems) have for tires on the rims (Bridgestone Generation I. II or III).

When I had my HPFP changed out I asked my Service Advisor "Do you know why this problem surfaced? Was it a poor quality supplier?" In response he just gently nodded. Might be the same whit the wheels made where and when.

I should know early next week if BMW has the curtesy to refund me my $800.00 for wheel and expenses I paid in the US during my vacation last year replacing one of the wheels.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #21
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

One difference with the style 296 rims is the spoke design. They only connect at the very outside edge of the rim. Most wheels connect more towards the mid section and even ones with outward spokes have material leading into the middle at the connection area. Because of the design, the deep offset, the camber, and the RFTs, the inside edge of the rim gets a lot of flex causing forces. No doubt RFTs contribute to the failures, but I don't think they are the sole cause.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #22
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But, that applies to all other 19 wheels that released around same time.
Not sure why only 296 having so much cracking.
That I don't know, see my reply to teagueAMX above.

Appreciate 0