New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
maglito
engorged
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo

Garage List
Front Brake Caliper upgrade, need DSC retrofit encoding?

I am considering the F30 M performance front brake caliper and rotor upgrade. I read this about the package:

"A DSC retrofit encoding must be performed via ISTA/P after installation of the BMW M Performance sports brake system."

Perhaps this applies only to the F30 or should I ask my dealer to perform this on my E89 after the install and if so, what does it do?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
93Siro
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

You need to it as well. But interestingly enough Brembo didn't ask for this.

Last edited by 93Siro; 12-10-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
maglito
engorged
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo

Garage List
I am not having this caliper upgrade done at the dealer. What will happen, will I just get a Service Engine Light? What exactly does this programming do (adjust the front/rear bias?) and what do I tell the dealer I need, exactly?

I'm assuming it's fine to drive carefully to the dealer on the new calipers in the mean time....

But, if the Brembo kits don't call for this (and I've never changed any programming when upgrading calipers on other cars before), perhaps this is just a dealer $$$ thing, and completely unnecessary?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Haven't done it myself but having been very interested in it, from my reading various forums, coding is like you said, only to adjust the front/rear bias.

In fact, many people on this very forum have done the M-Performance upgrade from the E9x without coding and there hasn't been any reported issues that I know of.

Edit: Related to front/rear bias, it seems that it specifically adjusts the ECU for the DSC. This was explicitly written by BMW for the F30 M Performance brakes as the reason for coding, so I'd imagine it would be the same for the E9x ones.

Last edited by CedarZ4; 12-15-2014 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0