New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Persistent roof noise behind driver ear - any fix??

I have had a persistent "thud" while going over rough surface with the roof up. Searched the forum and have escalated to BMW corporate and the dealer, however before I take the car back for another one of their experiments, I would like to know if anyone here has been successful in getting a "permanent" fix of this type of noise.

The noise is not a creak or a squeak but a distinct "thud" with windows fully up and roof closed. The only way I have been able to resolve this is to lower the driver side windows by an inch and the noise goes away - what gives??

Could it be bad adjustments in the roof due to the spacer buffers or the latch not seating properly?

I am up to my wit's end with this problem and can use some pointers on what to tell the dealer as they seem to not really "invest" their time in trying to identify the root cause. They always treat the symptom which has not helped so far....
      01-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

The roof mech is incredibly complex and its very hard to say without being there to witness it. If its bothering you that much ( I should know, mine used to make some right old noises until I tracked them down, well, all but one click that I've given up on now ) get it to the dealers, witness the noise with them and ask them to do as little as possible to resolve it rather than make adjustments all over the place. The problem is the tolerances are so slight that heat and cold affects the changes they make too.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

What usually solves it for me is to open the top halfway, make sure both supporting rods are aligned and then close it again. When the noise comes back i do that again.
      01-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
redhot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant.S View Post
What usually solves it for me is to open the top halfway, make sure both supporting rods are aligned and then close it again. When the noise comes back i do that again.
Sorry you have fill me in...which supporting rods? and what is the method to check if they are aligned.
      01-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot View Post
I have had a persistent "thud" while going over rough surface with the roof up.
What is your wheel and tire setup? If you have 19s it might be suspension noise. I had a decent amount of thudding noises going over rough road when I had 19s + RFT that went away when I switched to 18s + RFT
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
redhot
Private First Class
Rep

Mine are 17" Michelin PSS....got rid of the offending RFT's many moons ago..
      01-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Not contributing much to this thread but for what it's worth, I've started to notice a sound coming from the driver side as well.

I've always had passenger side noise (sounds like the roof is bending, various rattles, and even the sound of velcro tape being separated!) I've taken it to the dealer multiple times and they have like you said, diagnosed the symptoms but not the issue itself (that and they put a good 15-30 miles on the car every time trying to replicate the noises). The noises ultimately end up coming back within a month.

Will be going in for service in a week or so, and if you haven't gotten an answer yet maybe my service rep will be able to let me know what the noise from the driver side is from.

For what it's worth, multiple visits and the sounds keep coming back. I don't think bringing it up to BMW Corporate is going to do anything and doesn't seem like Lemon Law or the sorts will apply to rattles. If I am wrong, please let me know as it does bother me a 1 year old 70k MSRP car with 10,000 miles is rattling more than my old 1999 Toyota Camry…

Edit: Also worth noting that my dealer and service rep have been very receptive of my OCD complaints and had my navigation screen replaced under warranty (the whole screen - retails for about $3,000) just because I said it was rattling. So the fact that after multiple visits and still nothing was done/changed, I don't think there is a solution to the noise problem but just "live with it."
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 04:21 AM   #8
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

TBH, its a hard top convertible that will rattle due to heat expansion etc, there are so many many parts in it. I've nailed 90% of the noises by learning and adjusting all the mech but still get some noises from time to time, particularly in cold weather when parts shrink a little. I just turn on the hifi now if I know I'm on rough roads. On smooth roads I listen to the exhaust and on sunny days its all roof down in the back and all I hear then is the wind and the exhaust.

Its spoiled the experience in a way, but in other ways its made me more attached to the car, odd really. I find myself constantly conflicted about letting it go and moving into something that I hope will be easier to live with. The problem is, while I could get something easier to live with, I also know I'd miss the Z a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
For what it's worth, multiple visits and the sounds keep coming back. I don't think bringing it up to BMW Corporate is going to do anything and doesn't seem like Lemon Law or the sorts will apply to rattles. If I am wrong, please let me know as it does bother me a 1 year old 70k MSRP car with 10,000 miles is rattling more than my old 1999 Toyota Camry…

I don't think there is a solution to the noise problem but just "live with it."
For your second point, I agree, I am just ignoring the rattles and squeaks as well.

For the lemon law, I heard that a friend of a friend here in CA lemoned his E90 335 due in part of excessive rattles and squeaks. I am not sure if there was more to it than that. You should check in with your local lemon law lawyer
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=46&t=53253
This is a good starting point.
Lot of minor rattles removed by using a good quality silicon based bumper trim restorer sprayed along all interior panel joints and rubber trim around windows. In fact any rubber seal.
Even cured a rattle at the iDrive display, just sprayed around the edge of the open display and the rattle went away?
I had the same problem, drop window slightly and rattle went away.
Seems the window pushes the roof up slightly.
Went away after lubricating and also added thin sticky backed rubber added to the roof (page 5, rubber buffers marked 1), did the same as raising 1mm. Perhaps use the woolly bit of Velcro. I think the original buffers are made of too hard rubber.
Also added rubber trim to the rear deck where it rests on trim behind the hoops as this was bumping up and down.
The trim round the windows creek or cracking noise, that was cured with the silicon spray. Also the little plastic flap on the vanity mirrors, they rattle.
The boot/trunk liner and the warming triangle mount. That rattled and sounded like it was coming the rear.

Last edited by bigendbob; 02-06-2014 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
redhot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Not contributing much to this thread but for what it's worth, I've started to notice a sound coming from the driver side as well.

I've always had passenger side noise (sounds like the roof is bending, various rattles, and even the sound of velcro tape being separated!) I've taken it to the dealer multiple times and they have like you said, diagnosed the symptoms but not the issue itself (that and they put a good 15-30 miles on the car every time trying to replicate the noises). The noises ultimately end up coming back within a month.

Will be going in for service in a week or so, and if you haven't gotten an answer yet maybe my service rep will be able to let me know what the noise from the driver side is from.

Edit: Also worth noting that my dealer and service rep have been very receptive of my OCD complaints and had my navigation screen replaced under warranty (the whole screen - retails for about $3,000) just because I said it was rattling. So the fact that after multiple visits and still nothing was done/changed, I don't think there is a solution to the noise problem but just "live with it."
Got the car back from the dealer yesterday evening. The jury is still out on whether my issue if fixed or not. I did however share the following information with the dealer to see of any of the recommended solutions would help. They have made adjustments to the spacers and lubricated all the contact points.

www dot z4-forum dot com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53253

I suspect that I have a slight twist in the rear roof panel. Hard to describe but I have different gaps in the rear most tip of the C pillar where it touches the trunk. At driver side, it is approx 1.5 mm, at passanger side, I can't even get a paper thru the tip of the C pillar and the trunk. This might be what is causing the noise.

The adjustments dealer made did not change this gap.
      02-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I can be a picky guy myself but I honestly don't let any odd noise coming from the roof get to me. I accept that it's a hardtop convertible w/ many moving parts and w/ temp changes and jolts there will bound to be some sort of noise. Heck, even fixed roofs may exhibit some noise so what chance do convertibles have? I'm just being realistic here, it's no biggie imho unless it's some crazy, annoying noise that should be fixable. If it's a little creak if you hit a big bump on the road, that's nothing.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
redhot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I can be a picky guy myself but I honestly don't let any odd noise coming from the roof get to me. I accept that it's a hardtop convertible w/ many moving parts and w/ temp changes and jolts there will bound to be some sort of noise. Heck, even fixed roofs may exhibit some noise so what chance do convertibles have? I'm just being realistic here, it's no biggie imho unless it's some crazy, annoying noise that should be fixable. If it's a little creak if you hit a big bump on the road, that's nothing.
Agree to a degree.... .

I am waiting for the weather to get a little warm and being top down in AZ will be fantastic! Heck drove top down in my shorts with the outside temp at 53 deg last week and butt warmers on ....priceless!!!