New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
tranquility, just keep in mind there are several non-English-speaking countries in North America. Apart from that language requirement, there are several places in Mexico that meet your criteria (which did not include the ability to work, which is extremely difficult for foreigners in Mexico).

How urban does your urban center need to be, and what amenities do you require? The Bahamas, Bermuda, and several other islands might meet your requirements.

English is the official language in Belize, it has a few nice little cities, and you already share a monarch with them.
Unfortunately, not interested in Latin countries and it must be more urban than any island states as I grew up in large cities so I'll get bored easily w/ anything smaller.

Unless there is an amazing suggestion that I haven't thought of, I'm basically looking for somewhere in the US because I don't think there is anywhere in Canada that can escape the horrid winters (maybe save for a few spots like Kelowna?).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #24
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
Vancouver USA/Portland, OR
LOL!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #25
tdrew
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4

Another vote for Austin, TX. Lived there for four years, up until 2012. Enjoyed every minute of it. The Texas hill country has some great driving roads, and the climate allows top-down all year long!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #26
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

why is this thread in the e89 section?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

^You're right, I contacted a mod to move this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:38 AM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Bumping this...no idea why this is not in the OT section even though I contacted a mod.

Anyway, any new input? What about if criteria is further enhanced by jurisdictions that don't require front plates? Here's a link for easy reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle..._United_States
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:59 AM   #29
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Now that's just ridiculous. You gotta get your priorities straight my friend.
      01-06-2015, 05:29 AM   #30
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Now that's just ridiculous. You gotta get your priorities straight my friend.
I am a true carphile, so no front plates if possible! Everything else is 2ndary. j/k
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #31
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Never run front plates here in TX regardless. It is in the trunk with a tow hook adapter just in case it's needed for a state inspection.

Roughly 18 yrs here in Dallas - and doing this search myself. Austin is nice - except for July-Sept. My pool here in Dallas gets up to 94 degrees in the summer - yes - my POOL... I
I'm tired of the 100+ degree summers, it's unrelenting.

Born and raised Fl boy - so being this far from a beach has sucked

Looking at San Diego - but water issues, cost of living, taxes, state being broke, all question that.

Wifey can't handle the humidity, so most of the South is off the list....

Hawaii resolves many of these issues, except work..

First world problems
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #32
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
Looking at San Diego - but water issues, cost of living, taxes, state being broke, all question that.
Water is definitely a long term concern. Steps are being taken like raising conversation awareness and a desalination plan is being built.

Cost of living, also a concern. San Diego is cheaper than NorCal for sure, and there are options to lower the cost of housing.

State being broke... Not sure that should be a concern. CA economy is diverse and dynamic and the state has ability to generate revenue, but not necessarily the political appetite to make the tough calls needed to balance budget.

Definitely a lot of issues to balance when looking for a place to live; feel free to PM me if you there is anything I can help answer.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #33
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I hear that Cary, North Carolina is pretty darn nice. Although I'd be content with St. Augustine Florida too. Anywhere that I don't need my new Honda HS928 snowblower would be just fine.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #34
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

North Carolina is a great place to live. Good weather, cheap real estate, few hours drive to the beach or mountains.

Dragons Tail
Close to BMW Performance
Home of Cheerwine
Concealed carry
Good NY Pizza and Mexican food and Indian Food

Did I mention cheap real estate and cheap taxes.

Too many great reasons to mention.

However, if money is no issue than somewhere in Hawaii is ideal.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #35
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
Never run front plates here in TX regardless. It is in the trunk with a tow hook adapter just in case it's needed for a state inspection.

Roughly 18 yrs here in Dallas - and doing this search myself. Austin is nice - except for July-Sept. My pool here in Dallas gets up to 94 degrees in the summer - yes - my POOL... I
I'm tired of the 100+ degree summers, it's unrelenting.

Born and raised Fl boy - so being this far from a beach has sucked

Wifey can't handle the humidity, so most of the South is off the list....

Hawaii resolves many of these issues, except work..

First world problems
So you are thinking of moving out of TX? At least is it dry heat there? I can't stand humidity either, having lived in HK for a while. I'd take the snowy winters in Toronto over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Water is definitely a long term concern. Steps are being taken like raising conversation awareness and a desalination plan is being built.

Cost of living, also a concern. San Diego is cheaper than NorCal for sure, and there are options to lower the cost of housing.

State being broke... Not sure that should be a concern. CA economy is diverse and dynamic and the state has ability to generate revenue, but not necessarily the political appetite to make the tough calls needed to balance budget.

Definitely a lot of issues to balance when looking for a place to live; feel free to PM me if you there is anything I can help answer.
Could you pls expand more on the drought situation? How does it affect your daily life, if any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
North Carolina is a great place to live. Good weather, cheap real estate, few hours drive to the beach or mountains.

Dragons Tail
Close to BMW Performance
Home of Cheerwine
Concealed carry
Good NY Pizza and Mexican food and Indian Food

Did I mention cheap real estate and cheap taxes.

Too many great reasons to mention.

However, if money is no issue than somewhere in Hawaii is ideal.
Hmmm, sounds good, no front plates also!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #36
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Could you pls expand more on the drought situation? How does it affect your daily life, if any?
For the most part, it doesn't have a day to day impact.

There are some ordinances about washing your car (i.e. you need to wash with a bucket or take it to a pro car wash that has water capture and recycle and efficient washing systems) and water can be costly if you have a huge lawn and yard you are constantly irrigating. My water bill is ~$35/mo, and some part of my association dues goes to watering the landscaping (I live in a planned community)

Long term, water situation needs to be addressed, but to me that's in the same nebulous "macro" cloud as canada/us healthcare system overhaul, gov'n budget deficits, etc etc.

EDIT: tranquility, on a random note, definitely seek out lots of different perspectives on what your day to day experiences interacting with others might be if you move to Southern or Midwestern US, and investigate the diversity of cultural backgrounds wherever you are planning to live. I personally really value the diversity of backgrounds and thinking in NYC and California.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #37
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
If you are willing to move to a foreign place just to have no front plate your priorities are definitely different from mine.

Just spent a year in Vancouver. great weather in the summer, not so much in the winter. Rains everyday with at best a dim dark overcast. I don't much care for the scenery, rather spend my time in a city where work can actually get done. Sandals and beaches just aren't my thing. I'm more of a suits and tie lets get money kinda guy. Nightlife in Vancouver is abysmal. And mission raceway is kinda of a bad joke compared to Mosport. I'm back to Toronto now and couldn't be happier.

See, it's just all personal priorities. No way to really give a objective recommendation here.
      01-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #38
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men View Post
If you are willing to move to a foreign place just to have no front plate your priorities are definitely different from mine.

Just spent a year in Vancouver. great weather in the summer, not so much in the winter. Rains everyday with at best a dim dark overcast. I don't much care for the scenery, rather spend my time in a city where work can actually get done. Sandals and beaches just aren't my thing. I'm more of a suits and tie lets get money kinda guy. Nightlife in Vancouver is abysmal. And mission raceway is kinda of a bad joke compared to Mosport. I'm back to Toronto now and couldn't be happier.

See, it's just all personal priorities. No way to really give a objective recommendation here.
Only 1/2 joking about the front plate criterion lol, but it is annoying to have it as it looks nasty for certain cars, e.g. Alfa 4C, Ferrari 458, anything that doesn't have a 'space' for where it goes in the centre (luckily for our Z4s it's alright). Agreed that it's all subjective but still like reading the various inputs here as it does influence my thinking and opens my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #39
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
So you are thinking of moving out of TX? At least is it dry heat there? !
Yea, it's a dry heat, but seeing 115 degrees on your car sucks. In a "good" year we have ~10 days over 100 - on a bad year 30+.

We are having water issue here as well, as our lakes cannot keep up with the growth and urban sprawl. Fastest growing cities in the nation for the past ~5 years have been right next door to me in far north Dallas (Frisco/Allen/McKinney). All that adds to traffic hell too.

My best friends family lives in La Jolla, and he leaves Dallas for the summer and for the holidays - the best of both worlds. Moving there is just a retirement issue ($) that I want to plan in advance for.

In it's defense, Dallas has some great food, art, music, sports, shopping and the most movie screens per capita in the world, as well as we are pretty much a direct flight to most places in the world (via AA). I've just been here too long now and time for a change.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #40
Tayrevey
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e84

San Francisco Bay Area- as long as you have large sums of money its a fantastic are to live. The climate is moderate and almost everything you could want is available.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #41
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevakun View Post
San Francisco Bay Area- as long as you have large sums of money its a fantastic are to live. The climate is moderate and almost everything you could want is available.
+1

If I had epic wealth I would move back to the bay. That said, with a large pile of money anywhere is awesome.
Appreciate 0