New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #23
DailyGuy
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i - Sea Blue

How do you like your Mat Dash? How much did it cost you?

To have this bubble in this expensive of car is horrible. My car has 67K miles. Bought it from CA and I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I'm the 3rd owner, but I think the first owner really didn't take care of the car.

The door leather (top part of the door) has issues too as if they got heated and shows a little bit of the texture shrinkage/burn.

The driver seat dye has come off and looks worn. But the leather itself still looks great. It's not all wrinkled and too creased. The second owner has re-dyed the leather too when he first got it 3 years ago but the job wasn't that great. It's ivory colored leather so the its shows the wear more.

It's my 2nd car (weekend and kid-less days) and got a good deal. But it's getting on my nerves looking at it.
      08-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
Bob20124
Retired and Enjoying it
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i Alpine White 6MT

So far so good. fits well. Purchased through CARiD. Called and told them what I wanted and sales person recommended the Dashmat seies (best fit). The one I got is the limited edition black poyester custom 61885-0025. It is held in place with Velcro hook strips (purchased industrial 1" tape. Better adhesive than what is provided). Leather really needs to be clean and dry for tape to stick. The only issue to lookout for is around the nav. screen. Keep sides clear and do not try to tape cover to closed screen. Unit will not open or close. Function will return on next car wake up. Cost was $52 after sales agent gave me $10 discount (covered shipping). Top down @100 MPH no problem.

I could not justify cost or hassle to remove, have recovered /repaired, and reinstalled ($1200-$1500).
2011 35i BMS High & Low side OCC, Custom tune, CDV delete, Eldor coils, ER Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV, ER Comp. FMIC, K&N drop in,40W LED Halo, LCI side markers, M-Factory LSD, NGK plugs, Racing Dynamics strut brace, Stubby, Windrestrictor

Last edited by Bob20124; 08-15-2017 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #25
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob20124 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
It's caused by material expansion and contraction eventually breaking down the glue. The leather (fake leather) covering doesn't expand like the plastic and metal dash underneath does. I had this in my UK 2009 car.

I bought some fabric glue that remains tacky after its cured and used a big syringe and large bore needle to inject glue under the dash cover (by taking out the centre speaker cover) and then moving the glue blob around by hand to the areas that were separating.

It worked and other than a tiny bit I missed, you'd never know.
Do you remember the name of the glue?
It was a generic fabric glue from eBay. I just read the descriptions until I found one that said it was flexible glue even when cured.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:08 AM   #26
dborsato
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw z4 35i

I just recently have the same problem on the passenger side top dash. Called 4 different experts and all refused. Bmw wants $5200. Any suggestions need help! 2011 z4. Maybe ill try the syringe method.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #27
eja5er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35is | 19 X7 40i

I am trying to find a solution to the problem also. I went to a few auto upholstery places in the area, no one wants to touch it. The only place I found online that seems to specialize in this kind of thing is a guy in Naples, FL, who comes across this stuff a lot with the super high-end cars.

I plan on stopping by another place I know in the area near me to get their opinion, and if they arent able to help. I am going to try and do something myself. Last resort will be a dash swap with a plastic dash.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:39 PM   #28
nontoxic
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I've had this same issue, but was able to fix it with the syringe method.

I used "3M Neoprene High Performance Contact Adhesive 1357" glue, syringe, and heat gun. First I injected the glue into the bubble, heated up the leather while massaging it with my hand. Soon as the leather shrunk I stopped applying heat to it.

The leathers looks good as new and I can't even find the needle marks. It's held up in Texas sun for few years now.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 09:11 PM   #29
SummerallGuard04
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nontoxic View Post
I've had this same issue, but was able to fix it with the syringe method.

I used "3M Neoprene High Performance Contact Adhesive 1357" glue, syringe, and heat gun. First I injected the glue into the bubble, heated up the leather while massaging it with my hand. Soon as the leather shrunk I stopped applying heat to it.

The leathers looks good as new and I can't even find the needle marks. It's held up in Texas sun for few years now.
Do you remember what gauge needle you used? Assuming you used a syringe of some sort? I want to try this method...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 01:23 PM   #30
Krampus79
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW e89 35i, F31 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerallGuard04 View Post
Do you remember what gauge needle you used? Assuming you used a syringe of some sort? I want to try this method...
I would also like to know the size of the syringe. One bubble can be found in mine. Does anyone have before and after pictures if a syringe has been used, what has pierced the leather?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 04:59 AM   #31
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

i had a few bubbles appear on my dash aswell... used syringes and some leather glue to fix it..

I went to the pharmacy and got 3 sizes of syringes small, medium and a larger one. And i got like 3 of each...
You may need multiple syinges because glue does dry and plug the needle.

Needle size depends on the glue you use... if glue is really fluid and not thick you can get away with a smaller needle.

Leatherglue i used was a bit thick so i ended up using medium size syringe and even then it was quite a pain to inject glue under the leather. Glue pressed through the needle really slowly so i had to stay still and keep the pressure on the plunger for a long time. So more fluidlike the glue the better.

After injecting the glue i improvised ways to put pressure on the glued areas ... stacked books on it etc. Or just kept pressure on it myself in more complicated areas.
Once dry went over the dash with leather care products to clean it all up.

When all done you dont notice needle marks...Maybe you notice something first few days because you still remember the spots but a few weeks or months later you dont notice anything. And bubbles are a year or so later still gone.

Bubbles on mine were just starting to develop and still small so that made it easier to fix.... Dont know if it would work with large patches.

Just dont rush , take your time and be thorough.