New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Following too close?? WTF???

OK i'm driving and there is a car in front of me and a car to his right... on on the left lane going 50mph on a 45mph street. I have 2 car length distance. Then the car on the right slows down. So i go up a little and put my signal to the right and go to my right lane.

Cop pulles me over and asks "do you know how fast you were going?" I go, "yeah 50 mph".... Then cop says yeah in a 45mph zone and then it went to 30mph. I'm like WTF?? Then i give him my licence and registration. MIND YOU, next month they were supposed to take away 3 points for not having any offenses for a year.. I guess that's going to shits now.

Then he comes back and says i cut off the guy that i passed on the right lane. I say no i didn't, i put on my signal. Then he looks at me and studders and says, yeah but... but... you didn't give him enough time to let him know you were going into the lane. So i'm thinking WTF??? Then he goes, i'm going to give you this ticket to sum up what you did. I didn't want to get any more pissed and since i kept my mouth shut unless spoken to, i figured, i'm just going to keep quiet. He gives me the ticket and i leave... I get to work and the ticket says, Following to close (TAILGATING.... 5 POINTS!!!!)

WTF?!?!?!?!?! So he said i tailgated the guy in front of me before i switched lanes. I can't deal with paying 400+ for the no point system. ANd i don't want them to bring it to 2 points, because (now i have 9 points) that will bring me to 11 points. Next month they were supposed to take away 3 points!

does anyone know what i can do?.. I was thinking, scheduling a court date for a later time like July. By that time i will have my 3 points back (leave me with 6 points). Then i can do the no point system and pay the extra $300+ and remain with my 6 points untill next year for them to take away another 3. Because if i do it now it will be no points but they will not take away the 3 points so i will stay at 9 points for another year.

I WAS NOT FUCKEN TAILGAITING. My other option is go to court and fight it that i DID NOT tailgate!. And see if they can eliminate it, which i doubt. I guess i really pissed because i didn't 1 tailgate, 2 i am 30 days from them taken 3 points away, 4 i'm meeting with my high school friend (police officer) to get my stuff together to apply for police officer position in my city. Oh and the ticket was in the city of Livingston!

FUck i was not tailgating.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Rumor is try and find out what date the officer has off, and schedule your court date then. He will not show up and it will get dismissed.

Again, this is pure speculation
      06-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
trick50
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray

Just get a good lawyer and send him to court for you. I have Zero points on my license. It is not because I am a perfect angel. It is because I have a great lawyer. I got a speeding ticket a few months ago for doing 92 in a 55. My lawyer had it reduced to an equipment violation with zero points and a $125 fine.
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
saalim
Non Resident
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I sympathise with you man. I got ticketed last week [in Perth Amboy] for not stopping on a yellow light??? The cops see a bimmer and go: "Why not...he can afford to pay"!!

Anyways, here is my advice: HIRE A LAWYER. I did that for my last 2 speeding tickets and got off with 0 points. Looks like I have to do the same for this one also since that is a 2 point offence! :mad:

2006 325i | 6MT | Black Sapphire Metallic/Terra Leather/Burl Walnut | ZPP/ZCW | Premium Sound/Navigation/Xenon/PDC/Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
soma4u
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think by law if you are going 40mph you are supposed to be 4 car lengths away...not sure though
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

2 car lengths at 45-50 is not enough. In your description above, you are lucky he didn't also hit you with unsafe lane change, that is what I was expecting.
Your ticket should include teh actual vehicle code you violated, look it up on the NJ DMV site, read it a bit, and then see if you wnat to call a lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
saalim
Non Resident
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soma4u View Post
I think by law if you are going 40mph you are supposed to be 4 car lengths away...not sure though
It is extreeeemly difficult NOT to break that law in Jersey.

2006 325i | 6MT | Black Sapphire Metallic/Terra Leather/Burl Walnut | ZPP/ZCW | Premium Sound/Navigation/Xenon/PDC/Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
TahoeOG
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
Rumor is try and find out what date the officer has off, and schedule your court date then. He will not show up and it will get dismissed.

Again, this is pure speculation
That's actually a good idea... I had a summons a long while back for driving in a one way street. But they were doing construction to the street and it was a city far from where i live, i've never been there. So since they had no sign and the police officer was not there, they dissmissed the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
TahoeOG
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92!Dreier View Post
or you could try slowing down a little.
yeah but i wansn't speeding.. I know when i'm wrong and i would just say fuck it and deal with it.. But i didn't speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
TahoeOG
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saalim View Post
I sympathise with you man. I got ticketed last week [in Perth Amboy] for not stopping on a yellow light??? The cops see a bimmer and go: "Why not...he can afford to pay"!!
Funny you mention that. The police while asked me how fast i was going walked to my front corner car and starts checking out my car. It was kind of ocuard because i'm thinking WTF is he looking at my car for?.. Then he stands in from of my car looks at the hook, headlights, THEN goes to the side looks at my side, and then the back of my car. WTF was he looking for?.. Obviously he thinks i have money to pay this $82 dollar ticket which i DO.. BUT the problem is the points....

Lawyers is going to cost me what 300 dollars?

Last edited by TahoeOG; 06-01-2007 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
saalim
Non Resident
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmister View Post
Funny you mention that. The police while asked me how fast i was going walked to my front corner car and starts checking out my car. It was kind of ocuard because i'm thinking WTF is he looking at my car for?.. Then he stands in from of my car looks at the hook, headlights, THEN goes to the side looks at my side, and then the back of my car. WTF was he looking for?.. Obviously he thinks i have money to pay this $82 dollar ticket which i DO.. BUT the problem is the ticket....

Lawyers is going to cost me what 300 dollars?
yep...around $300-$500. Try to factor in how much your insurance premium hike will be and for how long if you get hit with those points. If you have to shell out an extra $300 for the next 2 yrs because of the points, it makes sense to spend $400 on a lawyer now to avoid that.

Appreciate 0