New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #45
parnassus
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Roman, as the Stage 2 tune has hit a torque limit for the DCT gearbox, I'm wondering if there's a stage 3 tune available. If so, what would I need to upgrade from stock to safely support it?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #46
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Roman, as the Stage 2 tune has hit a torque limit for the DCT gearbox, I'm wondering if there's a stage 3 tune available. If so, what would I need to upgrade from stock to safely support it?
Our stage 2 is the most power you can safely run on the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #47
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
ESSential TUNING

Got my tool yesterday. (Thanks ESS!) My car still sleeps and now the waiting for dry, clean roads.

Will feel like the weeks before delivery last year.

I will also take it for a "low milage service" before i tune it. With a bit of luck it will be late April, early May.

Think I will start with "stage1" so i have "stage2" to look forward to.

Anyone that can report the difference in "feeling" between the two stages?

Wax on, wax off for some weeks now...................

Last edited by SHADOW4; 03-23-2011 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #48
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Hey Roman, does the Flasher have a removal function on it? Im asking because the car is under warranty and if I experience any potential issues I would like to know if I could revert the car in stock management to have the dealer fix it.
      03-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #49
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant.S View Post
Hey Roman, does the Flasher have a removal function on it? Im asking because the car is under warranty and if I experience any potential issues I would like to know if I could revert the car in stock management to have the dealer fix it.
As I understand it, the first thing you do is downloading your current ECU-data to the tool. So after you have tuned it you can always go back to OEM software for service.

This is one of the reasons i went for ESS.

Shadow4
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #50
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Direct Flash allows you to switch between your original factory file and our tuned file anytime you need / want.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #51
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Ess stage 1

So today I did it!

Installed Ess stage 1 with the Directflash tool. Took about 15 minutes.

First thing I noticed is that the lag between P and R and then to D is gone. Now the car starts to roll before I grow a beard!

I drove the car for about 50 km in a calm way. It felt like before, very smooth, but I noticed a bit more pull.

Then I stepped on it and now you really feel the difference.

This is how it should have come from the factory! Then I would never have thought of tuning it.

About a week ago a Merc 500S pulled away (not much but he pulled away) from me on the highway.
I wish I will meet him again, cause even with stage 1 I will pull away from him for sure!

It is amazing how the car now can glide smooth as an Cadillac and then turn into a beast with a little help from the right leg.

How will stage 2 feel like? Holy smoke!

I just sit here smiling....................

Last edited by SHADOW4; 04-23-2011 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #52
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW4 View Post
So today I did it!

Installed Ess stage 1 with the Directflash tool. Took about 15 minutes.

First thing I noticed is that the lag between P and R and then to D is gone. Now the car starts to roll before I grow a bear!

I drove the car for about 50 km in a calm way. It felt like before, very smooth, but I noticed a bit more pull.

Then I stepped on it and now you really feel the difference.

This is how it should have come from the factory! Then I would never have thought of tuning it.

About a week ago a Merc 500S pulled away (not much but he pulled away) from me on the highway.
I wish I will meet him again, cause even with stage 1 I will pull away from him for sure!

It is amazing how the car now can glide smooth as an Cadillac and then turn into a beast with a little help from the right leg.

How will stage 2 feel like? Holy smoke!

I just sit here smiling....................
Great Mini review Thinking of using ESS too since its one of the most respectable tuners in Europe and especially now that you stated the lag between P-R-D is gone, its kinda busting my balls doing maneuvers and u-turns with that annoying lag. The only and main issue is Tune related code clearing in case of any potential incident with the engine, wouldnt want the warranty void.
      04-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #53
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Well, I'm old and don't want to die curious...................soon enough i sit in a wheelchair and then it will be too late to have fun.

I feel confident with ESS tuning..............it's not like you go outside the envelope of the engines limits. So I doubt the tune will be the cause of any misshaps with the engine.

I am going to have a lot of fun this summer!

And codes can be cleared with Prochips M-Coder so I don't worry..........

Happy Zummer :-)

Last edited by SHADOW4; 04-24-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #54
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Great Mini review Thinking of using ESS too since its one of the most respectable tuners in Europe and especially now that you stated the lag between P-R-D is gone, its kinda busting my balls doing maneuvers and u-turns with that annoying lag. The only and main issue is Tune related code clearing in case of any potential incident with the engine, wouldnt want the warranty void.
You can use any code reader to clear codes before trips to the dealer. Our software does not throw any codes but if you had a hidden code or code unrelated to the software it can be quickly removed. The beauty of the Direct Flash is it allows you to re-install your stock software at anytime.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #55
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

Hey Roman; I have a 30i and was wondering if you offered anything for my car! I have the eisenmann race and was lookin to see if you guys offered anything worth while
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #56
zcode
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

Hi Roman,

i have 2 questions.

1) How the car changes if i change from normal to sport or to sport+ in Stage 1 oder Stage 2?

2) In the Horsepower/Torqe diagramm the verry right side of the curve can't be like this in reallty. It seems like having zero power @7050 rpm and having full power @7150 rpm. What ist the problem with this qiagramm?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #57
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn View Post
Hey Roman; I have a 30i and was wondering if you offered anything for my car! I have the eisenmann race and was lookin to see if you guys offered anything worth while
Working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcode View Post
Hi Roman,

i have 2 questions.

1) How the car changes if i change from normal to sport or to sport+ in Stage 1 oder Stage 2?

2) In the Horsepower/Torqe diagramm the verry right side of the curve can't be like this in reallty. It seems like having zero power @7050 rpm and having full power @7150 rpm. What ist the problem with this qiagramm?
Normal, Sport and Sport + are not affected by the software. Im sorry but im not sure I understand your second question.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #58
rossab
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcode View Post
Hi Roman,

i have 2 questions.

All you are seeing is the operator letting off the gas once the car reaches 7200. The RPMs fall and torque drops at the end of the dyno run.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #59
Sgt Pepper
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 SDrive35i

Quote:
Good news! It turns out the SmartTOP module was interfering with the flash process. After disabling the module, I was able to flash the car with very little effort at all. In fact to those interested, I did not use a battery charger and the writing process only took 15 minutes.

I took the car around just before and the throttle response in all modes has noticeably improved, especially in Normal mode. That annoying lag has virtually disappeared. I then put it in Sport+ with manual shifting and did a little WOT. The feel is very linear but it's very clear how much extra power there is.

I'm very happy with the tune!
I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on the ESS upgrade, but I have the SmartTOP module installed as well. Were you able to disable the SmartTOP, flash the car, and then reenable it? Or are you not able to use the SmartTop and ESS at the same time...? TIA
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #60
parnassus
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on the ESS upgrade, but I have the SmartTOP module installed as well. Were you able to disable the SmartTOP, flash the car, and then reenable it? Or are you not able to use the SmartTop and ESS at the same time...? TIA
There are no problems running the SmartTOP module once you've flashed the ECU. I'm running both the tune and the SmartTOP module in parallel.

Quote:
Were you able to disable the SmartTOP, flash the car, and then reenable it?
You're right on the money with your installation procedure. That is exactly what I did to get the flash to work.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #61
Sgt Pepper
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 SDrive35i

Quote:
There are no problems running the SmartTOP module once you've flashed the ECU. I'm running both the tune and the SmartTOP module in parallel.

You're right on the money with your installation procedure. That is exactly what I did to get the flash to work.
Great! Just what I wanted to hear...

Roman, you should give Parnassus a commission on this one. He sold me...

Thanks guys!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #62
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
The Smart top module is connected to the CAN bus which is also used to program the ECU. It can cause problems with the data traffic between the programmer and ECU. Please disconnect it every time you program the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #63
baldguyj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 e89 35i Sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
You can use any code reader to clear codes before trips to the dealer. Our software does not throw any codes but if you had a hidden code or code unrelated to the software it can be quickly removed. The beauty of the Direct Flash is it allows you to re-install your stock software at anytime.
I am almost ready to pull the trigger but the detection scares me. Am I reading this correct that we need to by a code reader to clear all codes and then us the Direct Flash to reload OEM codes?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #64
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Received yesterday morning the ESStuning Direct Flash... AWwwwww... 2 words to describe this morning's drive, WoW & Marvelous!!!
Took 1 hour to read the OEM ECU into the direct flash tool... Emailed ESStuning team the file around midnight (HKG Time). Woke up this morning, with the tuned file in my "inbox"
Downloaded the file into the car ECU; time processing 15 minutes.. Morning drive to the office took much longer than the usual :-)
Awasome job ESSTuning... Can't be more easy than that and the power, Oooh babe...

The only downside, I see so far from this tuning?? More points being taken out from my driving licenses... LOL

Very recommended!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #65
09cbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i

Installed today. Went straight to stage 2. Wow.

2024 BMW M2
2022 BMW i4 M50
2011 BMW Z4 sdrive 35i | ESS Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #66
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
Received yesterday morning the ESStuning Direct Flash... AWwwwww... 2 words to describe this morning's drive, WoW & Marvelous!!!
Took 1 hour to read the OEM ECU into the direct flash tool... Emailed ESStuning team the file around midnight (HKG Time). Woke up this morning, with the tuned file in my "inbox"
Downloaded the file into the car ECU; time processing 15 minutes.. Morning drive to the office took much longer than the usual :-)
Awasome job ESSTuning... Can't be more easy than that and the power, Oooh babe...

The only downside, I see so far from this tuning?? More points being taken out from my driving licenses... LOL

Very recommended!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09cbb View Post
Installed today. Went straight to stage 2. Wow.
Appreciate 0