New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

what options for those without idrive

Im thinking of a navigation screen that might fit into the now empty compartment space, that can be hook up to an aftermarket head unit in the stock position. Is this possible?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg-e89 View Post
Im thinking of a navigation screen that might fit into the now empty compartment space, that can be hook up to an aftermarket head unit in the stock position. Is this possible?
Just off the cuff, I believe there are some out there, namely Pioneer, but count on some custom work by some very clever people. Certainly nothing that's going to flip up like the BMW built-in Nav system.

I think the trick will be to find separate headend units that will interface with the nav screen in the stock location, and, fit the radio in-dash, which is not standard DIN specs slot.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-25-2009 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg-e89 View Post
Why don't you check the BMW Portable Navigation system, which can be integrated into the car's sound system ? http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc..._portable.html

It's actually a Garmin Nuvi with the BMW logo. I find it cute in the Z4, but the screen size is too small 4.3inc in comparison with other not portable solutions.
      10-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpapg View Post
Why don't you check the BMW Portable Navigation system, which can be integrated into the car's sound system ? http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc..._portable.html

It's actually a Garmin Nuvi with the BMW logo. I find it cute in the Z4, but the screen size is too small 4.3inc in comparison with other not portable solutions.
Is this the one you're referring too? That occurred to me as well, but for some reason I got the impression he wanted something built-in.

But you're right, I think it comes with a new tray to cover the opening and it appears you could run power to that location inside the dash as well so you don't need an extra cord dangling down to your power outlet.

Frankly I think it's a good choice for some who didn't buy the built-in system. Even though it doesn't have the appearance of a built-in system, I think the Garmin software is a bit ahead of the BMW nav system in some areas. I've used one very similar to it for years so I can tell you the screen size is manageable even though it's not as sexy as the BMW built-in nav. The other advantage is the ability to upgrade this at a later date with a new Garmin to gain whatever new functionality is available (including an model with a larger screen), which is not the case with BMW's built-in Nav.

Attached Images

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-25-2009 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

it looks nice, but i would hate to loose the cover and have it sticking out like that all the time... I'm sure it's prewired underneath there and you could probably come up with something that tucks in under the cover.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
it looks nice, but i would hate to loose the cover and have it sticking out like that all the time... I'm sure it's prewired underneath there and you could probably come up with something that tucks in under the cover.
Agreed, I think one could remove dash storage unit and run some wire to it for the garmin power, which would be cleaner than the normal setup.

It looks like the dash lcd display could be installed if you knew someone that could figure out the interface.

Attached Images

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-25-2009 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Agreed, I think one could remove dash storage unit and run some wire to it for the garmin power, which would be cleaner than the normal setup.
No, you don't have to do anything. It comes prewired from the factory. Here are the official retrofit instructions for the portable system for the X3 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
It looks like the dash lcd display could be installed if you knew someone that could figure out the interface.
Yes that's true. The monitor interface is LVDS (low voltage differential signal). The problem is that it would be pointless, cause no aftermarket navigation device outputs that signal.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PortableNavigationRetrofitInstructions.pdf (1.09 MB, 1096 views)
      10-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, you don't have to do anything. It comes prewired from the factory. Here are the official retrofit instructions for the portable system for the X3 series.
Thanks - cool info. Tucked it away for future reference.

Quote:
Yes that's true. The monitor interface is LVDS (low voltage differential signal). The problem is that it would be pointless, cause no aftermarket navigation device outputs that signal.
I totally agree. Note that I mentioned previously in the thread that he would need a very clever person to figure it out. I think I saw something on one of those custom car shows, but it a massive project. Depends on a person's motivation, which wouldn't include me. For the money and maintaining a clean, fully functional Z4, the Premium system is the way to go. The more I research it's components and configuration, the more I like it. It's really a nice system especially when you consider the limited space them have to work with.

The problem is that just about all dealers, based on my review of their inventories listed on the net, are ordering poorly equipped Z's for their lots. I assume this is a way to get buyers into a $50k +/- Z4, otherwise it means ordering your car to get precisley what you want. An average Z buyer get's his car but then finds out the base sound system really sucks. Then the questions is what recourse does he have? It's a shame BMW doesn't upgrade their base system to an acceptable level that consistant with a $50k car.

Clearly, BMW needs to make money and it's a common tactic for dealers to sell upgrades is to start off with a POS base system and sell the buyer on an upgrade, but it doesn't work that way with a Z4. The moral to the story: I'm sympathetic but realize the OP really has very few options.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Caio
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 23i sDrive.

Hi guys,

I'm from Brazil and here they dont import the BMW Z4 with iDrive system.

Now I am spending holidays in Vegas and i Would like to know if its Possible to buy the full iDrive system and install it. Making it work with the Professional BMW Sound.

Someone knows how much it will cost? is it possible?

Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #10
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Why don't they import them?

Installing that thing yourself would be major surgery and very questionable if it's even possible, no doubt requiring a major rewiring. Over here, when you get the navi system it comes with the iDrive as it's the interface for that system.

Seriously, you might find it easier to buy a car here and have it shipped back home.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
TEOBAX
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw z4 e89 sdrive23i m pack

Smile In dash display without navigation ...connected with head unit ! Is it possible?

Hello everybody !
I am new in the forum and I am very happy to be with you as I am passionate with my e89 23 sdrive ! I love my car and I have made many changes like full m pack retrofit ..296 wheels .. Silver front grill and silver mirror caps!!
Anyway I want yr help !
I was thinking if I can retrofit the in dash screen display and find a way connecting it with the headunit ? I don't care about navigation !
I just like the look of the screen !
Thank u in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

Try taking a look at bimmerretrofit.com. They have an after market solution that looks like the I drive system. It's expensive and I don't know of anyone that has installed it though so proceed cautiously.
Appreciate 0