New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 sDrive30i

Looking for some help...

Long time VW driver here. I’ve owned a bug, a Golf, a GTI, a GLI, a Passat, CC, and now two Touaregs over the years.

Very preliminary stages of finding myself a 2nd car…fun/convertible.

I’ve always looked at Z4’s as a must have at some point. Only issue is 2-seater (we have 3 kids ~10-13yrs but we have 2 SUVs). Not an issue to me…an issue to the Mrs. since she thinks it’s big bucks with little use.

I’m pretty sure I can overcome that…but the choice will boil down to Z4, Z3 (low miles), Eos, A5, etc. She’s called the Miata “girlie”. Well, I test drove a 2013 Miata this week and I liked it…a lot.

For Z’s so far, I’ve only test driven an ’06 3.0i with 38k miles on it. Loved it…but the paint was fading a bit and it had a long gouge (partially redone) on the hood. It was priced at ~$22 with 38k miles. Not bad…and Red on Black.

That dealer also has an ’09 30i Sport, Black on Red, at ~$30k keyless, xenons. Says Prem Sound but also indicates 6-speakers. I’ve seen other Z’s listed with 11-speakers. Paint looks a ton better on this one.

So both of those are local and both are manual. That’s fine for me, not for the Mrs. (again).

Now I’m seeing an ’09 35i with ~45k miles listed for ~30k also, but it’s about 3hrs away. However, it’s CPO warranty and it’s an automatic. Only notable options are Prem Pkg, extended leather and 18” wheels. So no Prem Sound. Figure I can add upgraded sound later fairly easily/cheaply (or go hog wild) if needed. To me, if this thing is running well, seems like a no-brainer vs. the local 30i/manual at the same price and without a warranty.

1. For sound on these, assume there’s basically “base” and one upgrade (Prem Sound)…and assumed the 11-speakers would indicate Prem Sound?
2. Also, does iPod/USB adapter mean iPhone 5 compatible? Do I just need to get a lightning cable for that or effort required?
3. Assume maintenance costs between the 30i and 35i would be about the same long-term?

More Q’s to follow probably…thanks for any feedback/suggestions/thoughts/comments. I've read through these pages back to November 2013 or so...good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Gpwheels
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 z4sdrive35i

Definitely go for the car with warranty and twin turbos. These are great cars, but can be expensive to fix. My CPO warranty already saved me $4000 replacing injectors. Turbos upgrades are relatively cheap and easy to get some extra power. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks...and I meant to ask...what drives a dealer offering a car CPO or not? The one with CPO has more miles...so it's not that. Both are 2009MY.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z 35i

Definitely go for the CPO 35i. So far saved me quite a bit on repairs/replacement on some defective parts.

Mine was CPO with extended warranty till 101K miles. Not sure why it is 101 not 100 but that's what my paperwork lists.
      03-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post
1. For sound on these, assume there’s basically “base” and one upgrade (Prem Sound)…and assumed the 11-speakers would indicate Prem Sound?
2. Also, does iPod/USB adapter mean iPhone 5 compatible? Do I just need to get a lightning cable for that or effort required?
3. Assume maintenance costs between the 30i and 35i would be about the same long-term?
Check out some other threads for #1. I think others have found its complicated to upgrade the sound. It might be worth it to get the premium sound.

For #2 you can use the USB and lightning cable to stream internet radio etc. I don't have iDrive in this car so I can't comment on that aspect of the integration

For #3, I think that assumption is way off base and N54 in 35i is going to cost more to keep running in the long term than N52 in 30i. The N54 is also a lot of fun, and I would suggest getting that and getting a good warranty.

Good luck.

FWIW, I think the miatas are great, and I have considered getting a heavily modified one. The image is pretty poor though....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Gpwheels
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks...and I meant to ask...what drives a dealer offering a car CPO or not? The one with CPO has more miles...so it's not that. Both are 2009MY.
BMW (in theory) inspects their used cars and warranties the ones in the best shape (least likely to have claims). Also, warranty is figured into the cost of the car. It may be cost-prohibitive to add the cost of the warranty on top of the price they need to achieve and still be competitive. I'm not sure exactly what the criteria for a CPO car is. It may just be that the dealer feels that they will be able to sell the car without the warranty. If you do choose the non-CPO car, I would at least get a detailed service history if possible to see if it has been a problem car. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z 35i

For those that don't have iphone snap in adapter, but have USB and AUX connection in the center console you can buy one of these "HomeSpot NFC-enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver" and it will work fine. You can connect to it with BlueTooth and play music.
      03-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Check out some other threads for #1. I think others have found its complicated to upgrade the sound. It might be worth it to get the premium sound.....
This is relevant because I would want to crank some decent sound in this thing. The list for that car is $29.9, I offered $28.0. They countered at $29.5. Told him I wanted good sound and it would cost some $$$ and I'd do some research and get back to them.

Any quick links on what I might be looking at...when I say "decent", that's it...I'm not looking to spend $4-5k on sound upgrade. Hoping I could upgrade the base for $1-2k or so and be content.

But the game has begun
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Premium sound is a must because the base sound doesn't have enough juice to be heard with the top down

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Premium sound is a must because the base sound doesn't have enough juice to be heard with the top down
I hear you and that was my biggest complaint w/ the 2011 Touareg Lux. Mid $50k vehicle and base sound like you bought a $20k civic almost.

But reading this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...30&postcount=6

Looks like I can get away w/ a modest upgrade under $1k.

I like the 35i, the CPO warranty. I miss the Prem Sound, Heated Seats, and Nav. But at least get the Prem Pkg, extended leather, 7-spd auto, 18" wheels. I'm getting close to done on this...at least mentally.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Fapout
Zwhore Sdrive35i
United_States
Rep
Drives: FORD WINDSTAR MINIVAN

Quote:
Long time VW driver here. I’ve owned a bug, a Golf, a GTI, a GLI, a Passat, CC, and now two Touaregs over the years.

Very preliminary stages of finding myself a 2nd car…fun/convertible.

I’ve always looked at Z4’s as a must have at some point. Only issue is 2-seater (we have 3 kids ~10-13yrs but we have 2 SUVs). Not an issue to me…an issue to the Mrs. since she thinks it’s big bucks with little use.

I’m pretty sure I can overcome that…but the choice will boil down to Z4, Z3 (low miles), Eos, A5, etc. She’s called the Miata “girlie”. Well, I test drove a 2013 Miata this week and I liked it…a lot.

For Z’s so far, I’ve only test driven an ’06 3.0i with 38k miles on it. Loved it…but the paint was fading a bit and it had a long gouge (partially redone) on the hood. It was priced at ~$22 with 38k miles. Not bad…and Red on Black.

That dealer also has an ’09 30i Sport, Black on Red, at ~$30k keyless, xenons. Says Prem Sound but also indicates 6-speakers. I’ve seen other Z’s listed with 11-speakers. Paint looks a ton better on this one.

So both of those are local and both are manual. That’s fine for me, not for the Mrs. (again).

Now I’m seeing an ’09 35i with ~45k miles listed for ~30k also, but it’s about 3hrs away. However, it’s CPO warranty and it’s an automatic. Only notable options are Prem Pkg, extended leather and 18” wheels. So no Prem Sound. Figure I can add upgraded sound later fairly easily/cheaply (or go hog wild) if needed. To me, if this thing is running well, seems like a no-brainer vs. the local 30i/manual at the same price and without a warranty.

More Q’s to follow probably…thanks for any feedback/suggestions/thoughts/comments. I've read through these pages back to November 2013 or so...good stuff.
Hey man, I live in Kirkwood and have a nicely modded Z4 if you want to check it out some time. I'm in the situation that you're considering. My wife and I are in our early thirties and have a child so we have sedans for the other days but drive the Z4 when its just one of us going somewhere or it's date night and we're headed to Clayton or the CWE.

I will say though that the St. Louis market is absolutely horrible for buying unique luxury or sports cars. I typically see St. Louis dealers asking for 10-20% more than other dealers around the U.S.

I'll private message you my number and you can text me, I just went through this whole process 5 months ago and I previously owned a 335 so I know about the semi-long term aspect of these cars. Anybody else can feel free to chime in...
      03-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Any quick links on what I might be looking at...when I say "decent", that's it...I'm not looking to spend $4-5k on sound upgrade. Hoping I could upgrade the base for $1-2k or so and be content.
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742298

Looks like you would be looking at $1500 in parts

Let us know how it goes; hope you can find a car you are interested in.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #13
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep

Sounds like we're done...

He called late, about the time I figured they were done for the day.

Said they had a late afternoon rush and made some good sales. That or he was fishing around to find a good local buyer to eek out top dollar. Can't blame him if so.

But I am taking this '09 35i Deep Blue/extended Ivory White off the "xhange":
http://www.luxuryautoxchange.com/det...-11549922.html

Probably can't pick it up until early next week, we have a busy weekend. So now I have to cool my heels for a very long weekend.

Asked him to send me a shot of the odo so nobody up there puts a "spirited" 300 miles on her for me. Said he's the manager and won't let anybody touch it. Still want that odo shot

Thanks for the advice on picking up the CPO. I will be able to sleep better the first year. Seemed to me like a no-brainer as well. I'll have a nice 3-4 hour trip back where I can check out the stock/base stereo sound. With the top down, I'm not counting on much...but maybe I won't even notice with the wind and engine noise.

My dad had a red '68 Mustang convertible w/ an 8-track when I was a kid...hopefully this one will have a little better tunes

This will be my first convertible and I couldn't be more excited.

Last edited by STR3T; 03-13-2014 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
Gpwheels
Private
Rep

Congratulations on the new ride. Perfect time of year, you have all summer to enjoy it. I really like that blue.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #15
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Very nice color combo. The engine sounds are so intoxicating you may find that you won't miss (use) the sound system when driving top down...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
But I am taking this '09 35i Deep Blue/extended Ivory White off the "xhange":

http://www.luxuryautoxchange.com/det...-11549922.html
Hi OP, I took a quick look at the ad and I THINK those wheels suggest a non sport package car. There is also no option of the sport package on the options sheet.

I am not sure what your expectations for the car are or how you plan to drive it, however I wanted to give you a heads up that it may not have the sport suspension or sports seats, and there are some '09 35i with no oil cooler (if it has itm you can see it through the front bumper on the passenger side).

I recommend you drive a car with and without the sports suspension and seats to validate that you will be ok without them.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #17
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, Nick. It does not have Sport package. But with the extended ivory leather, I think it has sport seats. Guess a little more bolstering and thigh extension.

Too late to try all variations...and I'm headed up to the dealer tomorrow. If it's as nice (or close enough to matter) as advertised, I have little doubt I'm gonna be digging this thing for a number of years.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
does not have Sport package.... Too late to try all variations
Leave room in your budget for KW V3 or other aftermarket solution, just in case....

Without the sport suspension the E89 is pretty soft and there is a lot of wheel gap... (Full disclosure, even with sport suspension I think there is a lot of wheel gap and I'm tempted to get KW to clean up the look among other things, so take my feedback with a grain of salt)

Take pics once you get it
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #19
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Too late to try all variations...and I'm headed up to the dealer tomorrow. If it's as nice (or close enough to matter) as advertised, I have little doubt I'm gonna be digging this thing for a number of years.
Bring a flash light, look for scratches under the front bumper. No big deal if there are any, but you may be able to get a couple $$$ off.

The car may have been subject to a recall or two.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #20
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Leave room in your budget for KW V3 or other aftermarket solution, just in case....

Without the sport suspension the E89 is pretty soft and there is a lot of wheel gap... (Full disclosure, even with sport suspension I think there is a lot of wheel gap and I'm tempted to get KW to clean up the look among other things, so take my feedback with a grain of salt)

Take pics once you get it
Much easier to fill the wheel gap by going up a notch on the F&R tire aspect ratios, especially if you have sport suspension, don't want to mess with emulators, and considering switching from the RFT to Non RFT. Less than two figers (1") works for me. Gets rid of that rubber band on rim look especially with 19" rims.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #21
Gpwheels
Private
Rep

If your going to get it already, just enjoy the drive home. There are enough aftermarket products for these cars that you could build a new car. Half the fun is personalizing it anyways. Anything it doesn't have can be added, everything stock can be upgraded. Congrats again on the new ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #22
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep

Can someone get me a link to BMW iPhone 5 device that works with the 2009? Dealer said he'd get me something but now says it's not available yet.

Note: looking like without Prem sound and/or Bluetooth there's not much functionality for the iPhone in this car.

Last edited by STR3T; 03-15-2014 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0