New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-21-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
solidgold
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Strange warning lights!!

Recently, I get this annoying warning lights randomly. On one occasion, it was the window washer fluid low warning light came on. I checked and find that it was nowhere near low. At least 90% filled. Turn-off the engine and the warning lights went away after I restarted. On another occasion, the "door open" sign came up while I was driving. Luckily I was not driving on a freeway. Pulled over and checked the door, it was tight and nothing seems amiss. Switched off the engine and start again and the warning light disappeared. Only yesterday, the light bulb faulty light came on. Checked and did not see any blown bulbs. So not sure why this random warning lights start appearing without any reasons.
Is this a software bug? Any one has similar encounters? Anyone done a ECU software remapped?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Might be a loose ground, connector at the ECU or the sensors reporting to a faulty module.
  • Loose ground
  • Loose or defective connector somewhere near the ecu
  • Bad sensor module
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 06-21-2010 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
MilitaryE89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, 2009 sDrive30i

i have similar issue, but it is only my "check engine" light...dealer said that the fault was that the fault sensor was faulting and throwing faulty faults. at this point my head started spinning and i didnt even think to ask them why they didnt just fix the faulting faulty fault that causes that particular fault light to fault!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryE89 View Post
i have similar issue, but it is only my "check engine" light...dealer said that the fault was that the fault sensor was faulting and throwing faulty faults. at this point my head started spinning and i didnt even think to ask them why they didnt just fix the faulting faulty fault that causes that particular fault light to fault!

There should be a sensor that detects those faulty fault sensors.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryE89 View Post

faulting faulty fault -

solidgold's case not likely a single faulty sensor given that it's hitting on a number of them randomly.

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 06-21-2010 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
faulting faulty fault -

solidgold's case not likely a single faulty sensor given that it's hitting on a number of them randomly.

Computer's going berserk? Reboot the car by disconnecting battery?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 2009 SDrive23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidgold View Post
ROn one occasion, it was the window washer fluid low warning light came on.
I get this one on occasions. Worth telling BMW about before warranty expires?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamman69 View Post
I get this one on occasions. Worth telling BMW about before warranty expires?
You should always bring it up if for no other reason than to secure a piece of paper that says you discussed it. Later, if something does go sideways or your warranty is very short to the gate, they can't say, "If this was such a problem, why didn't you mention it before?"

The other thing is that no doubt BMW collects statistics on problems of all sorts: fixed not fixed, how much the repairs cost, time in shop, etc. You can bet they analyze them in a bunch of different ways, too. I'm sure they use those statistics to allocate internal funding to review problems and develop solutions for various types of problems. Even if they don't correct your problem today, complaints such as these reinforce the need to correct problem on a larger scale.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
Computer's going berserk? Reboot the car by disconnecting battery?
Good idea - never hurts to try.

Disconnect battery and let it sit for 30 minutes. There is also a way to reset the ECU discussed on the forum. It was discussed to reset the ECU following the break in period because the computer's brain learns and remembers how you drive, which you'd rather not have it do during the break in.

I'm sure someone will find it and post a link.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidgold View Post
Recently, I get this annoying warning lights randomly. On one occasion, it was the window washer fluid low warning light came on. I checked and find that it was nowhere near low. At least 90% filled. Turn-off the engine and the warning lights went away after I restarted. On another occasion, the "door open" sign came up while I was driving. Luckily I was not driving on a freeway. Pulled over and checked the door, it was tight and nothing seems amiss. Switched off the engine and start again and the warning light disappeared. Only yesterday, the light bulb faulty light came on. Checked and did not see any blown bulbs. So not sure why this random warning lights start appearing without any reasons.
Is this a software bug? Any one has similar encounters? Anyone done a ECU software remapped?
Hope it's not an electrical short problem. I had a friend that had a 325cic and had all sorts of warning light issues, then it turned into an "electrical short". Long story short, it just got worse. There were times the car would not let him in or out when he tried to unlock it. Car turned in as a Lemon or in BMW's terms, "a buy back".
      06-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
solidgold
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Quote:
it's not an electrical short problem
Hope not! I just sent it in today to get the software reset. Will see if that will clear it. If not, then will get them to swap out the Sensor controller module. I understand that this thing is like a hub that is connected to all the different sensors.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Glad it isn't a short! Hopefully that software reset helped clear out the issues.
      08-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
brainpain
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.0

engine light on, no apparant problems

I'm trying the suggestion to disconnect the battery to reboot the system. Hopefully this will make the light go away.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
I had the same issue . It turned out to be a shorty shortb !! It wqas caused by a bad Kalongy Stick.

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
Kalongy Stick.
making up words now?