BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2024, 10:50 AM   #1
ByeByeVTEC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

TC/DSC not Turning Off and No LC - 2012 N55 DCT

Hello All,

Preface: Please let's ignore the perceived immaturity and 'danger to the public' of my actions. All hooning has been performed in empty areas, not near any persons or property that I could put in danger (aside from my own car).

Ok, that aside, I am having two issues that may be potentially related. I am guessing that they are related as both of these 'features' are controlled by the same module.

First issue: The DSC does not fully disable (even when 'fully off' after a 5-second press). Although the car does allow a lot of wheelspin (enough to get you into trouble) it will kill power when trying to do donuts and/or big power slides. The inability to be able to do donuts does not bug me too much (really they are immature + wasteful) but the interaction during powerslides is VERY dangerous (to myself/my car because no one else is around) and has made me afraid of the car. When trying to slide the car the system will step in and cut power / activate brakes to straighten it out leading to some nasty tank slappers. The interaction is very aggressive and has left me too scared to do powerslides (the whole point of moving to a RWD vehicle!). At first I thought this behaviour was potentially due to too-sticky tires causing stick-slip behaviour, however, this is still occurring with 225 winter tires in the rain / snowy parking lots.

Second issue: I simply cannot get LC to activate. Many times I have tried to activate it following the owner's manual and it will not activate. I follow all the correct steps but when I press down on the throttle it feels like the clutches are fighting the brakes and the engine stays below 1500RPM. It's not a good feeling (feels almost like full load against full brakes @ low RPM).

I am wondering if anyone has troubleshooted issues like this before and can point me in the right direction. I have access to full professional diagnostic tools (autologic) and have scanned the car without any codes popping up (shadow or otherwise).

I have seen lots of posts about similar issues, however, most are very old and from people who simply did not know about the 5s push. The online consensus is that the 5s push should fully eliminate the nannies and leave it to my skills, however, I have now proven to myself that this is definitely not the case for my car (and the tank slappers are not my fault!).

For the record, I am comparing to my uncle's M235i that will do donuts on a dime (manual car though). Hopefully, it's not because I bought the DCT!

Any help is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:40 AM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I found the ediff to be lazy and unpredictable. Might be that you're getting throttle closures unrelated to TC intervention unless you're seeing dash lights popping.
      03-08-2024, 09:14 AM   #3
ByeByeVTEC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Hmmmm that's a good point, I usually don't have my eyes on the dash when hooning but maybe I'll try with a passenger who can keep an eye on it. I'll also monitor MHD for throttle closures as well.

If this was the e-diff at play it would be a huge fail of the e-diff. Should be programmed to no cause tank slappers.
Appreciate 0