New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-31-2023, 08:49 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Worn brake pads or faulty sensor or other?

I got 2 red warning lights with the 'red car on hoist' and the ((!)) and according to the attached pic, it's either the brake pads or ignition, but the car starts/runs fine, so I guess it's the pads, but I just changed my fronts and rears 20K/30K kms (or 12K/18K miles) ago. Could it be a faulty sensor?

The car seems fine save for those warning lights, would you go driving in the meantime?
Attached Images

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 04:37 AM   #2
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Could be the rear pads worn..unlikely to be a sensor in isolation…I’d get it checked sooner than later…was the pads countdown reset last change?
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 12:34 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
Could be the rear pads worn..unlikely to be a sensor in isolation…I’d get it checked sooner than later…was the pads countdown reset last change?
Tx; why did you guess it's the rear vs the front?

I don't understand what you meant by "countdown"?

All I know is that my sensors were changed when my pads were replaced, and from my exp the pads are prematurely worn this time since in the past it took me 80K kms to first change the rear pads and 200K kms for the front.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 05:45 PM   #4
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Tx; why did you guess it's the rear vs the front?

I don't understand what you meant by "countdown"?

All I know is that my sensors were changed when my pads were replaced, and from my exp the pads are prematurely worn this time since in the past it took me 80K kms to first change the rear pads and 200K kms for the front.
When you change the pads the service reset for each set should be re-initialised….the question was were they…if not they will continue to countdown the mileage left from a false presumption..

The other point is the pad wear may be genuine..20k miles is good mileage for rear pads…or as in my case the Indy incorrectly fitted a rear pad causing premature wear and a cracked disc..
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 05:57 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
When you change the pads the service reset for each set should be re-initialised….the question was were they…if not they will continue to countdown the mileage left from a false presumption..

The other point is the pad wear may be genuine..20k miles is good mileage for rear pads…or as in my case the Indy incorrectly fitted a rear pad causing premature wear and a cracked disc..
Tx, I just assume the tech would've done that, I'm not technical re cars so that's my assumption.

I'm pretty darn good w my brakes (only needed to change them @88K and @205K kms) so something is off. This is esp the case since I'm mainly driving highways nowadays so the mystery remains.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 06:10 PM   #6
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Tx, I just assume the tech would've done that, I'm not technical re cars so that's my assumption.

I'm pretty darn good w my brakes (only needed to change them @88K and @205K kms) so something is off. This is esp the case since I'm mainly driving highways nowadays so the mystery remains.
Well something is not right ..these machines are not fitted with AI to antagonise you..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #7
Drummer$Dude
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 E89 35i

Quote:
Well something is not right ..these machines are not fitted with AI to antagonise you..
B21 is right about that. I just installed new rotors and pads, front and rear, but I’ve had to wait a month for the wear sensors to ship. While I don’t have iDrive the brake service will still need to be reset.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 08:09 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ikr? I guess I'll give you guys an update when I get it sorted out next week. Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 06:42 AM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Ok, so apparently it was the brake sensor, the wire was broken off like it was cut, but barring someone wanting to assassinate me by fiddling w my brakes LMAO, how the heck could that have happened?

Just one week afterwards today I got the same warning light, so I'm gonna assume that the other sensor crapped out too (there are only 2 brake sensors from my understanding, something like on the front right and rear left wheels?). What gives? Do I have any recourse since it seems to have prematurely died or should I just pay up? Any guesses (assuming this latest prb confirms the 2nd sensor is broken) if it is a QC problem or other?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:34 AM   #10
B21
Captain
Rep

Lots of pattern part’s especially on those sensors ..maybe crap quality…

Thnx for the update..
Appreciate 1