New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Kavin
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37x

When should I buy my Z4?

Hey everyone. You can tell that I'm new and my car is NOT a Z4...yet!

My lease ends after this coming winter (perfect since my G37x is a beast in the snow) but I wanted to get a Z4 for the days that are not snowy and potentially the rest of this awesome weather we've been having. Here is my dilemma:

Money.

I am looking to get an E89 (I can care less what year) 35i, Manual, with Nav. I am cool with a 2009 model as I don't care about the year, and am negotiable on the colors. Since it is still summer I can imagine the prices are still inflated for roadsters and will hopefully soon fall. As of now, it seems like the prices are in the area of 35k. Right now that's too much for me so here is my question:

Will these models depreciate enough for the wait for be worth it as we approach the colder months? "Worth it" is a relative term, I know, but I would say if it was a $5000 difference that would be pretty substantial. I was hoping it would go down by quite a bit since it would be a combination of time+seasonal depreciation (half a year and summer->winter) but if that is only going to save me $1000-$2000 I don't think I would wait. Also, the prices I have been getting were from AutoTrader and as I understand it those are usually non-negotiable bottom-line prices so I don't even know if those change seasonally.

Another problem that I have is the warranty - if I get a 2009 model with an expired OEM warranty, can I still get an extended one from BMW?

Thanks everyone!

P.S. Aside from the classifieds on this forum, is AutoTrader the best place to look for these cars or is that not as comprehensive as I thought it would be?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

You can not get an extended warranty after the 4 year warranty is up. That might put you in a 2010+ if the warranty is a deal breaker for you. I would agree that the price would come down in the winter, but so would the inventory to choose from. And 6MT is significantly rarer than the DCT tranny, so I'm thinking get one while you can.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

BMWUSA website and carmax are other places to check out.

Good luck with your purchase!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Kavin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
You can not get an extended warranty after the 4 year warranty is up. That might put you in a 2010+ if the warranty is a deal breaker for you. I would agree that the price would come down in the winter, but so would the inventory to choose from. And 6MT is significantly rarer than the DCT tranny, so I'm thinking get one while you can.
Ugh well I've never had a stick before and I think I would really enjoy it but if I can have a cheaper price due to better selection maybe I would think about it. Wouldn't it be more expensive though?

And you are right about the inventory I didn't think of that...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
I doubt these cars will drop $1000 a month for you to save $5k come winter.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

I trolled through multiple car buying sites and found one at a dealer ~3 months ago - other than the obvious sites (and ebay), use google to search out dealer inventories - as the MT will be the hardest option to find. My local dealer shows to have 4 MTs, yet each of them are actually automatics - so you have that kind of stupidity as well.

From what I see - depreciation is on the level of ~$400 a month...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Kavin
Rep

I was hoping that come winter, people (you guys!) would be more likely to trade one in that may be almost out of its warranty wince the top-down weather is going away. That, to me, meant a larger selection and lower prices. However, if this is not the case I am not sure if I can even afford one...

Truthfully I am bored with automatics and would be cool sacrificing a little speed for more fun but you were all right in that MT's are hard to find. My dream Z4:
MT 35i
Blue/Ivory
Nav

No matter what it seems that for a 2010+ (warranty) I'm looking at at least 35k. Does anyone know if that is high, should I shoot for lower?

Man I've been staring at this car for months, I hope it's not well out of reach...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Just put the shiftier in sport and use the paddles 100% of the time. Just pump your left leg if you miss a clutch....

Seriously - drive one with an automatic and see if it convinces you otherwise.

Pricing is about right for a 2010, as that's what I was originally looking at before getting a good deal on a 2012. These things don't move on dealers lots that fast - don't be afraid to make an aggressive offer.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

You can obtain an aftermarket warranty on a used car after the factory warranty expires. Here's an example: http://www.easycare-customer-care.com

I know a few people that have bought warranties several years after their factories expired and it seemed like they enjoyed the added piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Kavin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGigglebox View Post
You can obtain an aftermarket warranty on a used car after the factory warranty expires. Here's an example: http://www.easycare-customer-care.com

I know a few people that have bought warranties several years after their factories expired and it seemed like they enjoyed the added piece of mind.
Interesting. I have heard of these but I had always assumed they would be lacking in coverage or overpriced. Do these work out as well as the BMW Extended warranty? At the moment I'm looking at 2010's+ because they still have a few months left for me to get OEM coverage but if I could drop to a 2009, spend a bit less on the car, and a bit more on a warranty at the least I would have a better selection of colors and features.

Thanks for the heads up about this!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
wparente
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

If you are going to buy a 35i there is no automatic transmission option. You have two manual options of which one is the conventional manual and the other is the DTC which will default to shifting "automatically", you do have a clutch you just don't have a clutch peddle. I would not expect to see the price drop to much because of the limited supply in the fall and winter.
      08-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavin View Post
Man I've been staring at this car for months, I hope it's not well out of reach...
Take over a lease
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
BlueZ4Arizona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

I have a great idea - Fly to Arizona, and buy my Blue/Ivory 2009 35i with DCT with 36k miles on it. Then take a great trip with it across country back to Philly.

Demand for convertibles here in AZ is not until the temps drop below 100 degrees, so we have about a month or so to go before the buying power shifts from the buyer to the seller.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4Arizona View Post
I have a great idea - Fly to Arizona, and buy my Blue/Ivory 2009 35i with DCT with 36k miles on it. Then take a great trip with it across country back to Philly. .
Oh gawd..... I love that combo.

OP: I would wait to winter. I would think roadster demand would pick back up in the fall.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
dtn
Prince of Zamunda
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW F30

Quote:
Ugh well I've never had a stick before and I think I would really enjoy it but if I can have a cheaper price due to better selection maybe I would think about it. Wouldn't it be more expensive though?

And you are right about the inventory I didn't think of that...
I see the allure of a manual because you've never had one before but my advice is to test drive a DCT before you decide. I drove a manual for 7 years straight so I'm over it. The DCT is best of both worlds, but obviously that's my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
Kavin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn View Post
I see the allure of a manual because you've never had one before but my advice is to test drive a DCT before you decide. I drove a manual for 7 years straight so I'm over it. The DCT is best of both worlds, but obviously that's my opinion.
I see a lot of people saying that but a clutch is one of the reasons I want a stick! I know it's super childish but it's the things like 180 turns, burnouts, drifting (with the clutch or handbrake, not just because a turn is too tight hah) that make me want it.

Also with the DCT are the shifts fast when you want it? Like instant? In my car I have one of those fake-manual systems and there is a solid delay when I tell it to shift.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I see a lot of people saying that but a clutch is one of the reasons I want a stick! I know it's super childish but it's the things like 180 turns, burnouts, drifting (with the clutch or handbrake, not just because a turn is too tight hah) that make me want it.

Also with the DCT are the shifts fast when you want it? Like instant? In my car I have one of those fake-manual systems and there is a solid delay when I tell it to shift.
Yes, like instant.

E89 isn't a great car for burnouts and drifting in stock form regardless of gearbox. Not enough power.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #18
Kavin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Yes, like instant.

E89 isn't a great car for burnouts and drifting in stock form regardless of gearbox. Not enough power.
O.O really? I'm sure getting off the clutch fast enough could breakem loose!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
O.O really? I'm sure getting off the clutch fast enough could breakem loose!
Yes, sure you can spin tires and slide a stock Z435i a little bit.

Just IMHO, and at the risk of stating the obvious, the best cars for burnouts and general hoonage have LSD and HUGE power. The stock Z435i has neither characteristic
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #20
dtn
Prince of Zamunda
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW F30

Quote:

Yes instant. Your car is probably not a dual-clutch, that's why there is a lag between shifts. With dual clutch (DCT), your upshifts are instant. Your downshifts aren't going to be instant but they aren't going to be a huge delay. Not sure if you know but the e89 Z4 DCT has launch control so you can still burn out and you can still paddle-shift for drifting etc. I can't talk on the behalf of about other drivers but I found that the more expensive my car, the less I wanted to do things like burnout and drift. With a Stage 2 tune and Sport+ mode, just stepping on the gas pedal is already a thrill.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
Kavin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Yes, sure you can spin tires and slide a stock Z435i a little bit.

Just IMHO, and at the risk of stating the obvious, the best cars for burnouts and general hoonage have LSD and HUGE power. The stock Z435i has neither characteristic
Wait...the Z doesn't have an LSD? I thought it did...

I almost got a used Porsche Boxster and that was one of the reasons I didn't.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #22
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Wait...the Z doesn't have an LSD? I thought it did...
Correct, unfortunately, there is no LSD option from the factory in any of the E89
Appreciate 0