New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

auto insurance through liberty?

Do you guys get the ad in the mail about the liberty auto insurance that writes in they will use BMW OEM parts?

Their rates are always so much higher so I've stuck with GEICO but do have a worry about having to pay extra to get OEM parts for a repair.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Never seen it. I have AAA/Commerce Ins.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

I have recently been getting a lot of ads from insurance company claiming they can save me money (I guess since my 6 month contract is due in a few weeks), and I do remember Liberty being one. I didn't bother reading and/or calling since I've tried calling a few companies before and they were way off from my current rate. However, I have been told from multiple SA's from both BMW and Mercedes that they are endorsed by Liberty or something... kinda like BMW and Castrol. To my understanding for BMW and Liberty Mutual specifically, BMW offers their own auto-insurance under the BMW name, but it is actually just a branch of/fulfilled by Liberty Mutual. So it would make sense that Liberty uses OEM parts. However... like you mentioned I would imagine the rate being a lot higher. I am currently with Geico as well and am saving well over $1,000 per year compared to the other "normal" insurance companies, so I can only imagine it being closer to $2,000 per year compared to Liberty, even with their "BMW Discount." My estimate is based purely on the quote I got from Liberty when insuring my other cars vs. other insurance companies. Anyway, enough of my rambling and I know it doesn't really answer your question, but to me I think the money saved outweighs the "using OEM parts." And if I do get into an accident (knock on wood) I will just pony up to use OEM parts with the money I saved. One more thing to note is that by switching to Liberty will only really help you in an at-fault accident, as the repairs in a non-fault accident will be payed by the other party's insurance company. Will be sticking with Geico... just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
And if I do get into an accident (knock on wood) I will just pony up to use OEM parts with the money I saved. One more thing to note is that by switching to Liberty will only really help you in an at-fault accident, as the repairs in a non-fault accident will be payed by the other party's insurance company. Will be sticking with Geico... just my 2 cents.
Thanks Cedar that is my thinking too
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Admitted long story here, but on topic so you may be interested.

I recently switched to BMW Performance Insurance by Liberty Mutual from GEICO. While the OEM parts replacement was a slight factor, the main reason by far: price. A near second? Principle. Explanation:

I had been a GEICO customer since 1998 (15 years), including auto (2 cars, both BMWs) and homeowner's. After receiving a direct mail piece from the BMW CCA (not Liberty, and not BMW NA), out of curiosity I requested a quote. Liberty was well south of GEICO on the auto policy.

Not wanting to switch, I called GEICO and explained, asking if they could match and stating that if they couldn't, I was switching. GEICO couldn't come close. I was pretty shocked, to be honest, especially after my years of being a customer.

So, as a result, I switched. Then I called GEICO to cancel both my auto and homeowner's. Once I got to the person responsible for cancellations, well low and behold, suddenly GEICO offered me a competitive price because of a 'new pricing model especially for Illinois". This after I clearly stated (in fact, twice, over two phone calls to two separate reps) that if GEICO could not at least match Liberty's pricing, that I was absolutely going to cancel and switch. This smacks of AOL, crappy credit card co's, and all around big corporation/poor customer service, and really wasn't the experience I expected from GEICO. When I became a customer, and over the years, their service has always been outstanding - in my experience, no longer. Although they could come close to Liberty's quote in the end, I cancelled anyway based on this.

So far, experience with Liberty has been terrific. My rep is a local person (office is walkable from my house) and any time I've called they've been nice, helpful, relatable and professional. I'll happily give my money to a company that does business the way I'd expect my company to operate, vs the experience I had with GEICO in the end.
Appreciate 1
DubaiRich123.00
      08-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

I may be insurance ignorant. I've been with LibMutual for 35+ years. I don't shop, but I do notice none of the competitors ever include LM in price comparison ads. I have no idea if their service is any good because they bill me once a year and I send a check to pay in full. I see they offer BMW on track insurance, that's cool. I pay Under $1500 a year for 2002 M3 & 2011 Z4 with $1000 deductible on full comp/collision & liability.
More on topic, as e89 owners we experience very few options from after market suppliers.
I doubt that non oem radiator manufacturers as an example, are stock piling inventory for cutrate insurance companies. I do repairs for neighbors with BMWs. I just replaced '99 323i passenger window lifter mechanism with a non oem part. $163 @ dealer, $131 on line, but non oem was $72. Perfect form, fit and function.
More about my ignorance, does your oem-parts-guaranteed insurance company have any control over the at-fault party's insurance company that is paying the repair bill?
I'm aware there are insurance repair horror stories out there to offset my example.
Drive safe.
      08-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Very interesting, mebtoni... Makes me wonder what quote I would get from Liberty being that the quote I got a few years ago was for a Mercedes and not a BMW. When I have the time, I will give them a ring and post back...

In regards to the mail you got from BMWCCA, did it have a special code where it was a "special offer just for you" or was it just normal ad? I would imagine this might change the quote, as I have already thrown away the mail I got from Liberty.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I went online to Liberty and got a quote for all of our cars with similar levels of coverage. Much cheaper, like about half as much.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I went online to Liberty and got a quote for all of our cars with similar levels of coverage. Much cheaper, like about half as much.
This got me really interested, so I went ahead and did an online quote as well for Liberty Mutual. They quoted me something that is over 8x more expensive than what I am paying now, with lower coverage. No, not a typo. 8 times. More expensive. Either I am ripping Geico off right now, I did something wrong while putting my information in, or... I'm not sure. Having a rate that doubles your current is not unheard of, actually very common especially if you currently have a good rate. But 8 times...? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This got me really interested, so I went ahead and did an online quote as well for Liberty Mutual. They quoted me something that is over 8x more expensive than what I am paying now, with lower coverage. No, not a typo. 8 times. More expensive. Either I am ripping Geico off right now, I did something wrong while putting my information in, or... I'm not sure. Having a rate that doubles your current is not unheard of, actually very common especially if you currently have a good rate. But 8 times...? Thoughts?
I don't know about that. Insurance rates have a lot to do with where you live. Maybe Liberty hates Jersey. I have 2 under 25 males on my policy and as I said before, their rate was dramatically lower. I would do it again and make sure you're inputting the correct data. Or move to Rochester

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Situation here. Liberty quote was much higher than my current GEICO rate
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

LM doesn't want everyones business. They will politely highball the quote and allow you to turn away on your own. They are discreetly selective.
      08-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #13
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

Insurance company ads being cheaper or better don't matter till you have to file a claim.
I was with AAA when I was involved in 2 separate accidents, both in 2011. AAA made the claim so easy and painless. Adjuster came out next day, estimate ($25k) approved day after.
Took them 8 weeks to repair, mostly waiting on parts from Germany. Then t boned 2 weeks by some kid texting & driving.
Same story, adjuster approved $24k estimate within 2 days.

Needless to say, I'm a very happy customer. Though both accidents are of no fault of mine, AAA was quick to approve the repairs.

Edit: all oem parts as I specifically requested, hence $25k bill. Also, not much after market parts available for e89
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting, mebtoni... Makes me wonder what quote I would get from Liberty being that the quote I got a few years ago was for a Mercedes and not a BMW. When I have the time, I will give them a ring and post back...

In regards to the mail you got from BMWCCA, did it have a special code where it was a "special offer just for you" or was it just normal ad? I would imagine this might change the quote, as I have already thrown away the mail I got from Liberty.
Not at all. The BMW CCA has a relationship with LM and therefore offers a discount. This information is on the BMW CCA web site if you're a member.

Incidentally, I learned that the CCA discount and BWM Performance Insurance discount are the same, and the programs themselves are the same as well. The CCA simply promotes the Performance Insurance, from what I gather.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4z4z4 View Post
LM doesn't want everyones business. They will politely highball the quote and allow you to turn away on your own. They are discreetly selective.
Any insight into the criteria? That seems a bit sketchy since there needs to be an actuarially sound reason for the rate different. On the surface sounds like the good old days of lending based on appearances in the era before credit scores
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I have coverage with Travelers. I just got off the phone with Geico, set up exactly the same policy, and reduced my premium from $4248 to $1984.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have coverage with Travelers. I just got off the phone with Geico, set up exactly the same policy, and reduced my premium from $4248 to $1984.
Holy crap what a drop! Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
syd53
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i coupe

I am with a company called Sentry. They have a plan where if you have no claim for 5 years then in the 6th year you are returned half of your premiums from year 1. This continues indefinitely if you make no claim.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Geico is the way to go. Traveler's did send me a letter a few days ago, might just give it a call to see what my rate will be. Can't be worse than the rate LM gave me for just the Z4 with myself as the only driver... North of 10k annually. Yes, very interested in knowing the criteria as well.

On a more related note... my parents have been with 21st Century for a while. I told them to give Geico a call, and their rate was halved as well, just like yours. Went from $2,400 to $1,200 for 6 months. Not bad. Also, contrary to my personal belief, I was actually told by a few body shops and estimators that Geico actually is considered very good for Auto Insurance when compared to the "Top advertising companies" like 21st, Travelers, etc. in terms of paying out.

Last edited by CedarZ4; 08-16-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

side note.. Geico has partnerships with Travelers for some things, such as home insurance
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I had Liberty which was fine. I then have Amica, and they had really great customer service. I have Esurance now since they cut my bill in half.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Also, contrary to my personal belief, I was actually told by a few body shops and estimators that Geico actually is considered very good for Auto Insurance when compared to the "Top advertising companies" like 21st, Travelers, etc. in terms of paying out.
That's really good to know. I'm always a little nervous going with a "new to me" insurance company as to how easily they approve a claim.

Appreciate 0