New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Omni1234
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4

Adjusting Rear Camber

I recently took my e89 in for a bi-annual alignment check, and requested the mechanic to zero out the rear camber as much as possible. This car is my DD, so I don't need the stock negative camber. Factory recommended camber is -1.9 to -2.8, and mine were set to -2.0. Per the mechanic, he couldn't adjust the rear camber any less without throwing toe out of tolerance.

Is this true? Has anyone been able to zero out their rear camber on stock M sport adaptive suspension and still stay in tolerance for toe?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Likely yes. And the car is designed to run with that camber. I would run the minimum camber (i.e. -2.0 that he set). I understand the car is your daily driver, but the car is designed to be stable and drive predictably in those number ranges. Run minimum and you should be good.

Filippo
      03-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

What the mechanic told you about your particular vehicle may very well be true. However, last time around mine were set at a touch over -1.25 and the wear has been much more even ever since. Before that, they were set at about -2.15 and were chewing up the inner shoulders pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Omni1234
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try adjusting the eccentric bolt and washer to see if camber really is maxed out. Then bring it in to check for toe again.

Just installed new set of tires, and I'd rather milk as much life out of them as possible, especially when the rear tires wear out 2X quicker than the fronts. These Conti DWS-06 tires are amazing, so the slight theoretical decrease in handling performance is okay for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Sounds like you're dealing with the same issues I am in terms of tire wear if your wheels are staggered sizes like my 18s. My solution to the 2x wear issue is to replace the rears with a fresh set and then keep my fingers crossed they will catch up with the fronts at the end of their life. It's worked so far, but if you do this, bear in mind that you'll have to deal with an overly sensitive DSC when you first make the switch because the system is super sensitive to tread depth differentials front to rear. It's a bit of a PITA, but at least it maximizes your tire life. Tires for these things ain't cheap! If I had it to do again, I think I would have opted for a s28i with the same size 18s all around so they could be rotated. Besides, it's my wife's DD and she really doesn't nee all that power.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #6
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
My solution to the 2x wear issue is to replace the rears with a fresh set and then keep my fingers crossed they will catch up with the fronts at the end of their life. It's worked so far,
~22k in front, ~14k in the rears - argh.......
Appreciate 0