New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonza View Post
Hey all,

I’ve been a long time lurker on these forums, ever since I decided I want to upgrade from my TT to a BMW. So now for my first post, with all this speak of Z4 prices and new vs. used:

I’ve got my eyes set on a Z4, in fact two of them and I was wondering what your opinions are regarding my options:

Option 1: 2013 Z4 sdrive35i M-Sport with 7-speed DCT:

Option 2: 2013 Z4 sdrive35is M-Sport (7-speed DCT as standard)

Both cars are demo models from BMW South Africa, and both have 13,000kms mileage. They are both priced identically at R602,000 ($60,200 USD at current exchange rates). The options on both are identical except the 35is has these additional options: 6VC (Combox controller), 620 (Voice control), 524 (Adaptive headlights), 5AC (High Beam Assist)

So this leaves me in a pickle, I love the colour, interior and wheels of the 35i and I would probably add a tune to get 35is like performance.

On the other hand I love the stock performance of the 35is but I do not like the colour, interior or wheels that much. However, the 35is is at a dealership much closer to me.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone here who has driven both vehicles for a comparison or anyone with compelling pics of a Space Grey Metallic Z4 to sway my decision?

Thanks in advance guys!
Is there any reason the 35is is priced the same? Given the specs, it seems like a no-brainer to go for that, although it is hard if you don't like the color schemes.

Depends on how much you value performance and what tune you're thinking of getting, but you're spending more $$$ when you could've already gotten the better car in the 35is. To be honest, the performance difference between that and the 35i is not significant but it's good to have top-of-the-line bragging rights. I guess it's grey on black? I don't think that would turn me off to not getting it - it's a classy, understated color, unless it was green or some other freaky color. Given the 2 choices, 35is for me, but I'm not into aftermkt mods like other guys.

Last edited by tranquility; 10-12-2013 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: removed pix
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonza View Post
Hey all,

I’ve been a long time lurker on these forums, ever since I decided I want to upgrade from my TT to a BMW. So now for my first post, with all this speak of Z4 prices and new vs. used:

I’ve got my eyes set on a Z4, in fact two of them and I was wondering what your opinions are regarding my options:

Both cars are demo models from BMW South Africa, and both have 13,000kms mileage. They are both priced identically at R602,000 ($60,200 USD at current exchange rates). The options on both are identical except the 35is has these additional options: 6VC (Combox controller), 620 (Voice control), 524 (Adaptive headlights), 5AC (High Beam Assist)

So this leaves me in a pickle, I love the colour, interior and wheels of the 35i and I would probably add a tune to get 35is like performance.

On the other hand I love the stock performance of the 35is but I do not like the colour, interior or wheels that much. However, the 35is is at a dealership much closer to me.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone here who has driven both vehicles for a comparison or anyone with compelling pics of a Space Grey Metallic Z4 to sway my decision?

Thanks in advance guys!
I am not sure on your market but I find it very unusual that the 35is has the style 296 wheels. The 19" wheel option for the 35is is style 326M. Could be worth checking to see if it is a mislabeled 35i

If you are going to modify anyway to close the stock HP gap, I think the 35i, whose colors you like, will be good to go. My understanding is the 35is shares the N54T version with the 1M and 335is and it is more powerful stock than the standard N54 but I have not seen any evidence that the two engines are different after modifications have been made.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #25
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I agree with your color combination desires of the 35i but you have to take the 35is for the value and power!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #26
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
What they save on health care we make up for in lifespan from receiving actual care instead of a 6 month wait for the diagnosis of a possible carcinoma that just turned from benign to malignant during that period, aka ObamaCare.

Sorry, I had to.
I'm sorry too.
But the life expectancy in Canada with it's national health insurance plan is much higher compared to the USA. Canada is ranked 4th in the world and in our beloved USA we're 33rd. Drive a BMW and stay away from doctors.

Highest Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #27
andrewyfang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 35i

If the 35is is similarly offered to that of a 335i and 335is, then get the 35is as it comes with certain forged internals.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #28
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Pilot View Post
I'm sorry too.
But the life expectancy in Canada with it's national health insurance plan is much higher compared to the USA. Canada is ranked 4th in the world and in our beloved USA we're 33rd. Drive a BMW and stay away from doctors.

Highest Regards
comparing averages might not be applicable. In the US if you are baller you have the best healthcare. Canadians with $$$ offshore their healthcare to skip the queue
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #29
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
comparing averages might not be applicable. In the US if you are baller you have the best healthcare. Canadians with $$$ offshore their healthcare to skip the queue
Facts are the facts.
Stick to posting BMW content.

Highest Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Facts are the facts.
Stick to posting BMW content.

Highest Regards
Haha, yea agreed. BMW content is best.

I tried to find a public data source to validate my original but not were readily available.

Suffice to say, the averages tell one story but different sub analyses by geography and economic cohort could lead you to a different conclusion.

back on topic.. OP import an E89 from the US.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha, yea agreed. BMW content is best.

I tried to find a public data source to validate my original but not were readily available.

Suffice to say, the averages tell one story but different sub analyses by geography and economic cohort could lead you to a different conclusion.

back on topic.. OP import an E89 from the US.
No need to find evidence describing, "different sub analyses by geography and economic cohort." However if you do, it will make interesting reading along with pictures and comments about your BMW.

Highest Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #32
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
pictures and comments about your BMW
Here is the pic. BMWNA just sent through an email offering a free track day (for being a "returning owner") so main comment is I am pretty stoked about the brand right now
Attached Images

Last edited by nicknaz; 10-11-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #33
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

The space gray metallic is a great color and looks fact astir in the sun.
However I must admit that I am bias, as I have a 2009 35i in Space Gray Metallic.

For me if the 35is in SG was available over almost any color 35i with the same options, plus the fact that you would put a tune on it for many times, big dollars, the choice seems clear. Get the 35is with the built in tune and sign and drive.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is the pic. BMWNA just sent through an email offering a free track day (for being a "returning owner") so main comment is I am pretty stoked about the brand right now
nicknaz-
Thanks for the pix. Good looking Bimmers, enjoy! Like yourself my wife and I are totally into the Roundel. After doing our second Euro Delivery, now we're waiting for our second ZER to arrive.

Highest Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #35
prestonza
Registered
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW Z4 sDrive35is

Thanks for the responses guys. I had decided on the 35i in white until I noticed my previous oversight - these aren't the facelift models as I was told!

So I'm trying to negotiate better deals on these, or my only other choice is to go for another demo 35is that I found in white with black leather with 326 wheels (this time confirmed facelift).

Problem is that it's R69,000 (~$6900) more. It doesn't seem like much but my budget was already being stretched quite a bit.
Appreciate 0