New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

ConnectedDrive mudule update or...?

The last couple of times I've had my Z4 in for service the dealer service advisor has asked me if I've had the communication module updated yet. I've shined it on because it's not something we've ever used or been interested in, but when he mentioned they could also decommission it and give us a $200 Visa gift card for doing so, my ears perked up. seems that, in Calif. anyway, BMW has lost its relationship with AT&T, so they have an incentive to deactivate these devices. Just thought I'd pass this on in case the rest of you are as unaware as I was of this offer.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

It is, rather, a module upgrade (hardware swap). To see whether your vehicle is eligible for the free upgrade or other alternatives, go to bmwassistoffer.com (official website) and enter your VIN. Retrofitting the Combox is a day-long process, according to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
dblaron30i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sapphire black Z4 30i

Is this the same Module that deals with the roadside emergency SOS service? I'm just trying to see what models apply.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Not a great decision

The combox as its called allows the SOS button to work and allows the car to automatically call police if the air bag activates. That combox could save your life. It also allows the Google search function in the GPS to work which saves tons of time entering points of interests. The dealer replaced mine free under warranty and I was back online instantly.

QUOTE=paris1;21294699]The last couple of times I've had my Z4 in for service the dealer service advisor has asked me if I've had the communication module updated yet. I've shined it on because it's not something we've ever used or been interested in, but when he mentioned they could also decommission it and give us a $200 Visa gift card for doing so, my ears perked up. seems that, in Calif. anyway, BMW has lost its relationship with AT&T, so they have an incentive to deactivate these devices. Just thought I'd pass this on in case the rest of you are as unaware as I was of this offer.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0