New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

DCT judder anyone?

In the last few weeks when pulling out of a parking spot slowly or reversing into one slowly I've noted a slight judder through the car which i believe is the DCT. It feels like mild clutch judder but I thought that was not possible on the DCT. Anyone else had this? Might get it into the dealer to see if there is anything recorded by the car..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Officer Dibble
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: sdrive35is

happens on higher speeds for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
happens on higher speeds for me.
Really? How does it happen/feel? Are you at all concerned by it?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

Re:

Yes!

I took mine back twice and they say there is nothing wrong with the car.

Mine is when you stop and the car drops into first, then it judders forward.

As far as the manual says the car isn't supposed to drop into first in "normal" mode.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
All that shakes when I drive is the earth under my wheels and the cars in my wake.

But seriously, no - this has not happend to mine.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine does drop into first when coming to a stop, how else would the car move off afterward? To be clear, this is a clutch judder just like in a manual when you're putting power down slowly and gradually there's a drive chain shake, only lasts a second or two then goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 03:40 AM   #7
Officer Dibble
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: sdrive35is

yes i am concerned about it but just been too busy lately to bother about it. maybe in a couple of weeks i will take it in. usually happens during aggressive acceleration, never at low speeds. a bit freaky actually.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

A long awaited update. After numerous software flashes, oil top ups etc etc.. BMW are to replace my transmission! .. Yowzer.. In any event, I'll keep y'all (did you like that, a crap americanism from an englishman) updated.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

I have not experienced this with my DCT.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
A long awaited update. After numerous software flashes, oil top ups etc etc.. BMW are to replace my transmission! .. Yowzer.. In any event, I'll keep y'all (did you like that, a crap americanism from an englishman) updated.
Well it took them long enough, but that's pretty nice of them in the end. You know that the DCT transmission costs US$10,400, not including labor? Doesn't that make you feel good?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm glad they're doing it under warranty. I can't say I'm happier than if I'd never had the issue. My concern now is that it gets replaced and lol it doesn't fix it because its something else like the driveshaft / diff etc ... time will tell.

Its a minor judder, more like a wobble in R when reversing slowly. I can reproduce it in D1 say on a gradient where the car holds itself on a slight incline when no brakes are applied. This results in an intermittent wobble through the car, minor, but enough to feel like minor clutch slip.

As for those mentioning they don't have the issue, good, I'm glad for you, because I do have the issue and its irritating!

Last edited by ManiacGT; 03-13-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
FalconFlyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6

I have had no issues... however I would highly recommend that everyone do the ESS Tuning to the car... that might change things.... best 1k I have ever spent on any car... So much power now I have a hard time finding traction...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Amazing that much technology for only $11k, considering there are forged wheels out there for $8k.
I count on the DCT to limit the destructive behavior I would subject it to if it were a manual. Unprecedented performance AND longevity is what we expect.
If I get a shudder running through my car with a DCT I'll check back. Thanks for sharing and good luck.....its a fact you need a little luck with the nominal biproduct of mass production and the man-in-the-loop variable being irritation and missed expectations. Glad you have a dealership that is working with you.
      03-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
The_Hulk
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 35i

Garage List
BMW Z4 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm glad they're doing it under warranty. I can't say I'm happier than if I'd never had the issue. My concern now is that it gets replaced and lol it doesn't fix it because its something else like the driveshaft / diff etc ... time will tell.

Its a minor judder, more like a wobble in R when reversing slowly. I can reproduce it in D1 say on a gradient where the car holds itself on a slight incline when no brakes are applied. This results in an intermittent wobble through the car, minor, but enough to feel like minor clutch slip.

As for those mentioning they don't have the issue, good, I'm glad for you, because I do have the issue and its irritating!
Does this happen every time you reverse?
Had something similar happen to me yesterday.
Couldn't work out what that wobble was.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

It happens only when the car has warmed up and only in D1 and R. At which point it's reproducible every time. Constant in R and if you hold the car in D1 on the edge of the clutch (foot on brake letting the car move very little). It's annoying as you feel a minor wobble on every move forward from a stop. Therefore commuting traffic gets really annoying. Set off in D2 and it's smooth as silk.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #16
toplessrydr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E89 35i

This get me thinking. When I creep up my driveway real slow in first gear the transmission feels like it's slipping. My driveway has a slight incline and yes due to the long hood I don't want to bump into my fiance's RDX. Last month when I brought it in for service my SA said they found a leak in a transmission shaft seal. They had to consult one of their engineer to see if they have to replace the transmission or just drop it and replace the seal. The Z has about 21k miles on it. Now why would they ask if they should replace a transmission due to a leak? Something we don't know about?

They other problem I experienced is a hard downshift to first when coming to a stop. The car would stop followed immediately by a soft clunk. It's still doing that. Anyone have this problem?

I finally decided to have the negative rear camber readjusted. The Z will have it's squat poise straighten up. On the fence about putting on a set of Michelin Super Sport or the OEM RFT.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #17
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessrydr View Post
This get me thinking. When I creep up my driveway real slow in first gear the transmission feels like it's slipping. My driveway has a slight incline and yes due to the long hood I don't want to bump into my fiance's RDX. Last month when I brought it in for service my SA said they found a leak in a transmission shaft seal. They had to consult one of their engineer to see if they have to replace the transmission or just drop it and replace the seal. The Z has about 21k miles on it. Now why would they ask if they should replace a transmission due to a leak? Something we don't know about?

They other problem I experienced is a hard downshift to first when coming to a stop. The car would stop followed immediately by a soft clunk. It's still doing that. Anyone have this problem?

I finally decided to have the negative rear camber readjusted. The Z will have it's squat poise straighten up. On the fence about putting on a set of Michelin Super Sport or the OEM RFT.
It really depends on what you mean by slipping. If you're going slowly then yes it will slip, just as a normal clutch would slip when you're going very slowly so you don't stall the car. If you feel vibration however (as I do) then that's clearly not right. Interesting note on the transmission seal, I wonder if that's the issue with mine.. although they detected no leaks.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #18
The_Hulk
Private
Rep

Garage List
BMW Z4 35i  [0.00]
I tried a steep incline and found my car rolled back when in D1, is that normal?
I have had the car remapped but don't know if that makes a diffrence on DCT.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #19
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

My car does this at really low speeds, but I've driven and owned DCT vehicles before, and it was always an issue. The gear box sometimes can't pick between first and second at low speeds. However, I've never had that happen anywhere near highway speeds, and I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be in the car if it happened.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #20
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hulk View Post
I tried a steep incline and found my car rolled back when in D1, is that normal?
I have had the car remapped but don't know if that makes a diffrence on DCT.
Yes entirely normal. The car will only hold on the clutch to a point before gravity overwhelms the slip at idle revs.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #21
The_Hulk
Private
Rep

Garage List
BMW Z4 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes entirely normal. The car will only hold on the clutch to a point before gravity overwhelms the slip at idle revs.
Thanks, that put my mind at ease.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #22
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

My baby is back, new DCT transmission and all. Absolutely transformed its now beyond smooth with no judder or vibration of any kind. Event the thud and jerk in D1 is gone when setting off and coming to a halt. This is how she should have been delivered...
Appreciate 0