New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: NA

Was this you?

I think the new Z4 is still pretty rare - to park next to one with very similar spec is even rarer. I went to visit a well known pharmaceutical company in West London yesterday. The visitors car park at this company is often full up so it was strange to find a space to enable me to park next to the other car. The other Z4 was a Space Grey 2.3 with 19" alloys just like mine!

Was this you?
Attached Images

Last edited by jeremyp; 12-15-2009 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

haha that sucks, better you start pimpin your car so its unique i can not stand it when i see a similar car to mine. thats why i bought aftermarket wheels even before i received my Z4

It has to be unique
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Actually I don't mind so much - it shows someone else also has great taste!!
      12-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Actually I don't mind so much - it shows someone else also has great taste!!
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

that's funny, they even have stubby antennas
      12-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine does (well it's about 7 inches - actually from a Jeep!) the other one was standard - you just can't see it in the photo,
      12-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
TarqZ4
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 S Drive 35i

No it wasn't me - but he might be a bit pissed off you put his number plate on the internet!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarqZ4 View Post
No it wasn't me - but he might be a bit pissed off you put his number plate on the internet!
Good point, photo edited. Thanks
      12-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
JohnT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive23i

Hi jeremyp
Glad you got a more discrete tax disc holder, the BMW ones are massive!!!
What stubby aerial do you have?
John
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Did you get an idea of how they compared in terms of other options inside? I see that the 09 doesn't have parking sensors.
      12-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

anyone know how to get sales figures by country for the Z.

cuz maybe the UK has less than the US but i'll probably never see another one simply because of the size of the country. even the E85 i haven't seen more than a handful.
      12-16-2009, 04:01 AM   #12
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
What stubby aerial do you have?
It's from a Jeep Patriot
      12-16-2009, 04:03 AM   #13
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Did you get an idea of how they compared in terms of other options inside? I see that the 09 doesn't have parking sensors.
The 09 car didn't have parking sensors or light/rain sensors. It had an auto box like mine but it had idrive (and mine doesn't)
      12-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #14
EandS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Quote:
I have to ask. What is the concern about revealing number plates? I've noticed before on other UK posts that it's not unusual to see the plate is obscured, but don't see a similar concern with U.S. pictures. In fact, for other makes of cars we've had, there have been whole threads on related forums in which people were sharing their "vanity" plates. It was quite interesting and fun to see them.

Best regards,
Ed
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandS View Post
I have to ask. What is the concern about revealing number plates? I've noticed before on other UK posts that it's not unusual to see the plate is obscured, but don't see a similar concern with U.S. pictures. In fact, for other makes of cars we've had, there have been whole threads on related forums in which people were sharing their "vanity" plates. It was quite interesting and fun to see them.
I don't understand the concern and I don't normally hide my number plate - I know other people prefer to mask their plates but I don't really know why
      12-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandS View Post
I have to ask. What is the concern about revealing number plates?Ed
Not sure, but probably something to do with getting your car stolen more easily. I would make the most of discussion forums if I were in the car theft business. Keep in mind that stolen cars are Albania's main import

I don't know how it is in the UK and other parts of the world, but over here you just need to text somebody's plate and you'll find out who owns that car and where he lives (well, not the exact address, but you once you know the person's name you can find out where he lives). Also, people sometimes tell useful little things about themselves on forums like this, such as asking if they need a trickle charger because they're going away for a month next week. Personally, I'm the opposite of paranoid, so I wouldn't bother, but some people may not want to take any chances.

This is just my guess, maybe somebody else has facts too.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
lux good
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i & Q5 2.0 TSFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Not sure, but probably something to do with getting your car stolen more easily. I would make the most of discussion forums if I were in the car theft business. Keep in mind that stolen cars are Albania's main import

I don't know how it is in the UK and other parts of the world, but over here you just need to text somebody's plate and you'll find out who owns that car and where he lives (well, not the exact address, but you once you know the person's name you can find out where he lives). Also, people sometimes tell useful little things about themselves on forums like this, such as asking if they need a trickle charger because they're going away for a month next week. Personally, I'm the opposite of paranoid, so I wouldn't bother, but some people may not want to take any chances.

This is just my guess, maybe somebody else has facts too.
So what stops people getting your car reg. when they see it on a road!!??
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
TarqZ4
United Kingdom
Rep

In the UK, we have quite draconian laws around the ownership and responsibility for the vehicle, the issue with number plates is cloning, someone with the same car as you can clone your number plate and run around in it speeding and getting parking tickets, you will be responsible for the fines and loss of license and possibly your job, the shit bit of this is that you have to prove it wasn’t you.

I had a mate who actually found a clone of his car and the police didn’t seem bothered!

All part of the big brother state, which isn’t all bad – but if you are going to be watched everywhere you go better make sure it is you and not some low life.

So over here in the UK we are a bit touchy about number plates, sure someone can see yours parked on the road, but we go on the principle of not making it easy for them by posting on the web!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
lux good
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i & Q5 2.0 TSFI

Quote:
In the UK, we have quite draconian laws around the ownership and responsibility for the vehicle, the issue with number plates is cloning, someone with the same car as you can clone your number plate and run around in it speeding and getting parking tickets, you will be responsible for the fines and loss of license and possibly your job, the shit bit of this is that you have to prove it wasn’t you.

I had a mate who actually found a clone of his car and the police didn’t seem bothered!

All part of the big brother state, which isn’t all bad – but if you are going to be watched everywhere you go better make sure it is you and not some low life.

So over here in the UK we are a bit touchy about number plates, sure someone can see yours parked on the road, but we go on the principle of not making it easy for them by posting on the web!
I see your piont...but low lifes driving arround in New Zed's.......surely not !!!!

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
I could never understand how having your license plate number revealed in a photo on the Internet can be any worse than driving the car in public during the 50,000+/- miles you have the car where and the rest of the world can see the same plate number.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #21
TarqZ4
United Kingdom
Rep

Where I am the low lifes drive the best cars, a Z4 would be mediocre for a lot of them, partially a reason why I went for the brilliant Z4 in the first place, a bit more low key, ultra stylish and fast enough in the real world. And you get three cars for one, fab hard top, with super torquey angine, or screaming high reving plus open top – brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #22
TarqZ4
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
I could never understand how having your license plate number revealed in a photo on the Internet can be any worse than driving the car in public during the 50,000+/- miles you have the car where and the rest of the world can see the same plate number.
The issue is if they are going to clone a car why make it easy – they do clone cars – thousands are stolen in the UK every year and are never recovered, they don’t all go abroad. So they have the stolen car sitting in the lock up awaiting a new identity, they either have to walk around looking for an identical spec car or spend a few minutes on the internet, this is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0