New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
jrothstein
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

%!$:( RFT's

So, with only 4000 miles on my Z4, I started to slowly (1psi per day) lose air in my rear right tire. Didn't notice any perforations at first, but today when putting air in it, I noticed a small nail in the tread.

Of course, BMW says the tire needs to be replaced and can't be repaired.. Freaking $450 to replace the tire!

Doing some research, there seems to be conflicting opinion as to whether one can or should repair a RFT.

So, anybody know if a place like Discount Tire will patch it?

If not, I am debating whether to just replace all the tires with non-RFT's. In one sense, I'll only end up paying 300 or so more, get a better ride, and if a tire does blow I'll be out for far less. On the other hand it's just a two year lease and it seems like waste spending the extra money for two years of usage, and I'll have to buy a replacement RFT at the end of the lease upon turn in anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothstein View Post
So, with only 4000 miles on my Z4, I started to slowly (1psi per day) lose air in my rear right tire. Didn't notice any perforations at first, but today when putting air in it, I noticed a small nail in the tread.

Of course, BMW says the tire needs to be replaced and can't be repaired.. Freaking $450 to replace the tire!

Doing some research, there seems to be conflicting opinion as to whether one can or should repair a RFT.

If not, I am debating whether to just replace all the tires with non-RFT's. In one sense, I'll only end up paying 300 or so more, get a better ride, and if a tire does blow I'll be out for far less. On the other hand it's just a two year lease and it seems like waste spending the extra money for two years of usage, and I'll have to buy a replacement RFT at the end of the lease upon turn in anyways.
Your BMW dealer is FOS if all you did was run over a nail and the nail is in the tread. Discount Tire repaired my RFT after I ran over a nail. Only if the nail is in the sidewall will the tire need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Wiles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i MSport manual, 2020X3M

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [0.00]
RFT not unfixable, unless you drive on it with no air.

The reason a RFT may not be fixable is, if you drive on a deflated tire, even a runflat you generate a lot of heat and stress in the tires sidewall. So if you had a flat ran on it for 30 miles with little to no air, replace. In you see it low, and then put air in it and drive to the repair place they can patch the leak and you are fine. *(not if the sidewall is compromised)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

put some better tires on
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
KCSchoey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z435i

I think it depends on where the puncture is. If it's near the sidewall, it may not be able to fixed and replacement is the only option. That being said, I did have a puncture on one of my runflats in the past and Walmart plugged it for like $10.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z428i

If the nail is in the tread area and not the sidewall, I think you can have it repaired. I like Discount Tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

When I had my Corvette with run-flats, I successfully repaired them through the dealer for a couple of nails. I had no problems whatsoever with the repaired tires and I ran them aggressively right up until they wore out.

I learned my lesson though and got a comprehensive tire warranty with my Z4. Both tires and rims are covered.

I've run RFTs so long on my cars that I really don't know what it's like not to have them. The downside to conventional tires of course, is that you carry no spare. This would have been a serious inconvenience for me the couple of times I had a flat with my Vette.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
jrothstein
Rep

Well, hopefully they'll just patch it up-- I have an appointment at Discount Tire tomorrow after I told the dealer "I'll get back to them". It's clear and clean in the tread, and it's a small diameter nail. I've been refilling it weekly for the last few weeks, and one time let it get as low as 23psi, but hopefully that wasn't enough to ruin the sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

i have live an issue like that two years ago rear right tire was loosing up to 10 pounds a day my local tire shop had it repair whit no problem (a big screw in the tread)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
DavidJS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35is

Why wouldn't something like this work:
http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pock...ess-Tires.html
That's what I've had in my Mini (which has run-flats) for almost 3 years. Never had to use it though. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

agreed - you have two easy choices: 1) plug it if you did not drive on it with almost no air (BMW has lawyers speak for them on this issue, not reality), or 2) upgrade to real tires and never look back - RFTs are terrible
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Dude, I know RFTs suck performance-wise, but this has nothing to do w/ them...you were just unlucky enough to run over a nail. I did the same thing (nail in tread, not the sidewall) and the tire was pretty good since it didn't leak and I only noticed it long afterwards when I switched to my winters.

It's no prb to just get a tire shop to patch it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

From Bridgstone website regarding RFT's

Is it possible to repair a Run-Flat tire that has been punctured?
  • It depends on how far and at what speed the car was driven after the puncture was sustained. Repair is possible only if deemed so by the tire sales store.
    Preconditions include a puncture of less than 6mm for both side-reinforced type and support-ring type Run-Flat tires, plus minimal damage to the support ring in case of the latter.
    However, it is strongly recommended that the tire is replaced as its durability will have been weakened after being repaired.
The BMW dealer policy is to not repair a RFT, no matter what the location or details of the infraction.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
From Bridgstone website regarding RFT's

Is it possible to repair a Run-Flat tire that has been punctured?
  • It depends on how far and at what speed the car was driven after the puncture was sustained. Repair is possible only if deemed so by the tire sales store.
    Preconditions include a puncture of less than 6mm for both side-reinforced type and support-ring type Run-Flat tires, plus minimal damage to the support ring in case of the latter.
    However, it is strongly recommended that the tire is replaced as its durability will have been weakened after being repaired.
The BMW dealer policy is to not repair a RFT, no matter what the location or details of the infraction.
Bridgestone's paid a powerful set of attorney's to write this up in such a way that it covers their a$$.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
09cbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i

Quote:

I had a nail in my RFTs. BMW will not repair them. I took them to the local tire store and got it fixed. The tire cannot be plugged but has to be taken off the rim and be patched from the inside. $25 and done in 30 min. Held air perfectly until I got non-RFTs.

2024 BMW M2
2022 BMW i4 M50
2011 BMW Z4 sdrive 35i | ESS Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
jrothstein
Rep

Just a follow up. Took it to Discount Tire and they patched it up (from the inside) without a peep and did it for FREE. Was in and out in less than 30 minutes. Doesn't get much better than that.. They got some grease monkey fingerprints on my white alcantara, but hell I'm not going to complain.. Saved $450. Suck it Mr. Dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
DavidJS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35is

Good for you! The alcantara should clean up with the proper solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Just a follow up. Took it to Discount Tire and they patched it up (from the inside) without a peep and did it for FREE. Was in and out in less than 30 minutes. Doesn't get much better than that.. They got some grease monkey fingerprints on my white alcantara, but hell I'm not going to complain.. Saved $450. Suck it Mr. Dealer.
Well done...

.... some tire shops feel sorry for some of us with RFT (I too had them once)

I had similar free service at a Idaho Falls Tire Shop (they found my cracks) when I asked what I owed them the manager said nothing at all ... they will take your money at the BMW dealership down the street and he smiled and send me on my way

Lesson to be learned is "Never believe all they tell you at the Dealership ... as I found out later on my 2010 vacation trip.

Glad you resolved your issue okay

Cheers

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0