New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-19-2017, 04:41 AM   #1
DidierAubin87
France
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Is this a good choice for a Subaru Impreza?

Hello,

I want to get a small car sedan for my girlfriend, but there are so many choices and I cannot make a decision. My budget is not high, so I chose a used car from abroad. I found out Subaru Impreza 2011 for sale at a Japanese platform (https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-...-sale-year2011) , cheap price is from USD 5,300. I researched this car and they said that it is good looking, well performance in the snow condition. Does anyone drive a Subaru Impreza? Is it worth it to buy it?

Last edited by DidierAubin87; 12-21-2017 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
seetohey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB, 6MT. Future: CTR

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Are you buying the car from Japan? Or buying local? You should go drive it and see. That's not a bad price though and I can tell you from my experience that Imprezas are good cars and parts are plenty.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
DidierAubin87
France
Rep

I could not find any good price for this car in local, so I decided to buy used car from Japan.
There are many promotion and discount in this time, I also see that Subaru Impreza 2011 for sale with good price. But I would like to know if this car is worth to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seetohey View Post
Are you buying the car from Japan? Or buying local? You should go drive it and see. That's not a bad price though and I can tell you from my experience that Imprezas are good cars and parts are plenty.

Last edited by DidierAubin87; 12-19-2017 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Can't tell you if the price is good, but I can tell you the Subaru Impreza is a wonderful car. If you can afford it, do yourself a favor and get the WRX model.

BUT, buyer beware buying used cars from Japan.

Get the service history.

Japan has laws which make it very expensive to own cars more than 5 years old; as a result, people in Japan treat their cars as if they have a 5 year lifespan.... ie. they don't waste money changing the oil and stuff.

It's *very common* to see 5 year old used cars come out of japan that literally have only ever been driven and filled with gas since they were purchased new. (ie. Never inspected, never serviced, never maintained).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #5
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

Heh, I have a 2011 Impreza WRX right now as one of my cars.. as a car it performs well. I’ve had it up in the mountains in over 12” of snow and it had no issues, really only got stopped when the snow reached about 18”, and that was just because the car is low (so it was ploughing the snow) and because I was using Conti DWS tires - which are rated for snow, but nowhere near as good as the Blizzak snow tires, which I had ordered but the tire shop screwed up, and they didn’t turn up.

Anyway, it’s safe, reliable, awesome in poor weather (with the right tires), and has proper symmetrical AWD.

However, even my WRX has an uninspiring interior, not much in the way of luxury. You know you’re driving a regular non-luxury Japanese car. Plasticky, basic audio, etc. Mine doesn’t have the upgraded interior though so maybe that would be better with leather, etc.

If you get the manual I am not impressed with the gears either, though not terrible, nowhere near as good as my Evo. Saying that though the M3 gear shift feel kinda sucks too, so can’t complain too much.

Overall better than most. I can’t comment on the non-WRX, especially if it’s an auto. As for Japanese imports, very popular in the UK (where I grew up) and I never had any issues with the ones I got. If you are in the US, you are willing to get a right hand drive vehicle?? They are not easy to drive when the roads are setup for LHD.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2017, 04:48 AM   #6
DidierAubin87
France
Rep

Thanks for your advances. I asked the Seller and they said that the car will be inspected, no accident record. But I still need to be careful with old year issue of the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Can't tell you if the price is good, but I can tell you the Subaru Impreza is a wonderful car. If you can afford it, do yourself a favor and get the WRX model.

BUT, buyer beware buying used cars from Japan.

Get the service history.

Japan has laws which make it very expensive to own cars more than 5 years old; as a result, people in Japan treat their cars as if they have a 5 year lifespan.... ie. they don't waste money changing the oil and stuff.

It's *very common* to see 5 year old used cars come out of japan that literally have only ever been driven and filled with gas since they were purchased new. (ie. Never inspected, never serviced, never maintained).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 05:04 AM   #7
DidierAubin87
France
Rep

Thank you for your advances. As your experiences, Subaru Impreza is very great and worthy to drive. It performs well in snow condition and poor weather. And it is even safe, reliable .

I can not request a luxury interior in this car because of the low price, because the price is one of my big problems.

Actually, my UK friend said the right-hand drive is not hard as imaged, he recommended me an option that buying used cars from Japan. I found some sites and this site carfromjapan.com gave me a great deal with this Subaru Impreza 2011 for sale. I'm not similar to the manual transmission, so I guess I still must choose an automatic car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
Heh, I have a 2011 Impreza WRX right now as one of my cars.. as a car it performs well. I’ve had it up in the mountains in over 12” of snow and it had no issues, really only got stopped when the snow reached about 18”, and that was just because the car is low (so it was ploughing the snow) and because I was using Conti DWS tires - which are rated for snow, but nowhere near as good as the Blizzak snow tires, which I had ordered but the tire shop screwed up, and they didn’t turn up.

Anyway, it’s safe, reliable, awesome in poor weather (with the right tires), and has proper symmetrical AWD.

However, even my WRX has an uninspiring interior, not much in the way of luxury. You know you’re driving a regular non-luxury Japanese car. Plasticky, basic audio, etc. Mine doesn’t have the upgraded interior though so maybe that would be better with leather, etc.

If you get the manual I am not impressed with the gears either, though not terrible, nowhere near as good as my Evo. Saying that though the M3 gear shift feel kinda sucks too, so can’t complain too much.

Overall better than most. I can’t comment on the non-WRX, especially if it’s an auto. As for Japanese imports, very popular in the UK (where I grew up) and I never had any issues with the ones I got. If you are in the US, you are willing to get a right hand drive vehicle?? They are not easy to drive when the roads are setup for LHD.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #8
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidierAubin87 View Post
Thank you for your advances. As your experiences, Subaru Impreza is very great and worthy to drive. It performs well in snow condition and poor weather. And it is even safe, reliable .

I can not request a luxury interior in this car because of the low price, because the price is one of my big problems.

Actually, my UK friend said the right-hand drive is not hard as imaged, he recommended me an option that buying used cars from Japan. I found some sites and this site carfromjapan.com gave me a great deal with this Subaru Impreza 2011 for sale. I'm not similar to the manual transmission, so I guess I still must choose an automatic car.
Having grown up in England, and now living in the US, with family in France, I've dealt with RHD in England, LHD in the US, RHD in France and LHD in England.. Normal driving is not an issue, but where it gets difficult is visibility. Roads designed for LHD are designed to let the driver see traffic ahead. The biggest issue day to day is usually overtaking - trying to look past cars on the left from the RHD position can be annoying at best, or dangerous at worse.

Basically it just means you need to concentrate more, be more aware, and get used to leaning over your passenger to see past cars. Also, if you go out, having anyone else drive your car is a bit of a challenge as they either don't want to, or they do it, but have difficulties with car positioning, visibility, etc.

Also, when stopping at automated ticket systems (car parks, road tolls, etc), the machines are always on the drivers side - so it means either getting your passenger to do it, undoing your belt and climbing over, or even getting out the car.

Just not sure if your girlfriend really wants to deal with all these day to day issues

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #9
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Consider shipping in your decision. Shipping a $5k car from japan is bound to cost a significant portion of the price and take a month. Also beware of scams.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3760.50
      02-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
Taylor90
United_States
Rep
Drives: SUV

Some of my friends bought Japanese used cars and they are still in good condition. I was just wondering why purchasing cars from Japan is so cheap like that?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 03:32 AM   #11
DidierAubin87
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor90 View Post
Some of my friends bought Japanese used cars and they are still in good condition. I was just wondering why purchasing cars from Japan is so cheap like that?
My friends suggested me too. I'm not sure about it, but when I see FOB price, I was shocked . Maybe Japanese manufacturers produce too many cars?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 12:07 AM   #12
Taylor90
United_States
Rep
Drives: SUV

Yeah, Japan is one of the leading countries in automobile industry for a century. They have been produced good cars with great features. Some Japanese friends told me that since cars are popular in their country, they tend to change their vehicle to new one regularly. They have one option to sell their old car for car dealers at cheap price otherwise they have to pay for parking. This expense is not cheap at all in Japan. Buy collecting a lot of old cars at cheap prices, Japanese car exporters have price advantage when exporting these used cars to other countries. With good condition and god quality, Japanese cars are widely preferred by global buyers.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 04:18 AM   #13
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

You know what they say about people that own Subarus?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
DidierAubin87
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
What do they say?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #15
DidierAubin87
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor90 View Post
Yeah, Japan is one of the leading countries in automobile industry for a century. They have been produced good cars with great features. Some Japanese friends told me that since cars are popular in their country, they tend to change their vehicle to new one regularly. They have one option to sell their old car for car dealers at cheap price otherwise they have to pay for parking. This expense is not cheap at all in Japan. Buy collecting a lot of old cars at cheap prices, Japanese car exporters have price advantage when exporting these used cars to other countries. With good condition and god quality, Japanese cars are widely preferred by global buyers.
Yeah, I think used car exporting industry in Japanese develop very well, Japanese are trusted with good service attitude , I heard that buying used car via online platform without touching is like shopping items via amazon
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #16
Ultimateone
OG E46Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 24 Champ White CTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Can't be worse than what people say about BMW owners
Appreciate 0