New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Nv Z
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 35is

Is Smarttop worth it?

For those of you that have bought the Smarttop module for your Z4, are you completely satisfied with it? Would you buy it again?
I think it would be nice not to have to hold down the button the whole time, but I am not sure I want to pay nearly $400 for that luxury.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

It is expensive for something that BMW should pre-program anyways, but there are many reasons why I like the SmartTOP. Yes, the top will come down or go up without holding down the button. But for me, one of the best things is that I can use my remote to put the top down or up as I am approaching or leaving the car. I also like that it automates the process of folding in the side view mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
It is definitely worth it to me and is my favorite mod so far.

The 1-push open/close feature from inside the car is great when getting in or out of a parking lot/garage.

Which also brings me to the other feature I love, being able to drive up to 25mph while opening/closing the roof.

The 3-sec hold remote feature is great too, no more holding the button for what seems like an eternity.

Folding mirrors when locking the door is a good safety feature. It prevent other cars from hitting it (Cali is full of bad drivers and they tend to drive giant vehicles too) and when I look back it ensures me the car is locked if I see the mirrors folded.

Automatic door unlock when when I turn the ignition off, no more two pulls on the door handle to open it.

1-sec hold on the remote to open/close the windows is a good feature too when the cars been sitting under a scorching hot sun and you want to let some fresh air in before you go inside.

The last feature I like is being able to disable it when bringing to the dealership via USB or stalk control. Other modules doesn't offer the same feature.

Last edited by rfx45; 04-20-2012 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
timwhayden
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4is AW/Walnut

Garage List
I have it and totally agree with rfx45-well put!
'07 Lamborghini Gallardo
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
brucewinter
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmz z4

love it, for reasons stated above
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
thauma
England
Rep
Drives: 2011 sDrive23i Msport Hiline

Garage List
worth it just to be able to get full access to the boot when the top is down………

It's also nice to be able to put the top up from outside the car.

I don't have folding mirrors, so there is no advantage to me there. BUt overall definitely a good purchase
http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
      04-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

What's not being said here is that if you have Comfort Access, the only thing you gain is one-touch roof opening and closing and opening and closing while moving (which becomes a moot point in builds starting July 2012)

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
IIRC it's possible to get one touch top up/down through coding which most ppl charge $30-$50.
      04-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
What's not being said here is that if you have Comfort Access, the only thing you gain is one-touch roof opening and closing and opening and closing while moving (which becomes a moot point in builds starting July 2012)
Anybody know why operating the roof while driving is not yet available on US Z4's? The German website already advertises it - I don't think they re-tool the assembly line for US cars to put on a different roof mechanism?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

i dont have it, but i can open or close it from outside whit my remote.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
I have comfort access and that is why I didn't mention the comfort trunk access. But having to hold the remote only 3 seconds and it automatically close/open the roof is a big deal to me. It ensures that it closes or open fully, when I am holding the remote, if I ever move so slightly the remote doesn't get detected and it stops operation. Sometimes it stops when it is almost done closing/opening the roof but not fully and I wouldn't know until I get back inside the car. I am sure a few people here experienced the same thing.

Also with comfort access, you don't get the door unlocking once the ignition turns off. To other Z4 owners it's not a big deal to pull the door latch twice to open it, we will get used to it but my passenger has slammed their should on more than one occasion because it didn't know this. I'm sure you guys know people who open the door and tries to get out all in one motion.

And as for the moving while closing/opening the roof being effective as of July 2012 (which none of us have at the moment so none of us here has the feature), honestly it can be very dangerous (and annoying) having to hold the button and drive or reverse at the same time. With the 1-button touch, this makes it much easier and safer. Once I am in the parking lot, I press it once and the roof starts closing as I look for a spot or maneuver into a parking space. It's mostly for convenience but it's a great feature that goes hand in hand.

You also gain the folding mirrors when you lock the doors with this module, which is helpful as I mentioned above.

So yeah, you get much more than you mentioned with the module. No need to put it down just because you don't like it or find it worth it.
      04-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MMB View Post
IIRC it's possible to get one touch top up/down through coding which most ppl charge $30-$50.
I read that it resets once you bring the car to the dealerships but if that is the only feature you are looking for and you bring your car once a year to the dealership, then that is the way to go I guess.
      04-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfx45 View Post
I have comfort access and that is why I didn't mention the comfort trunk access. But having to hold the remote only 3 seconds and it automatically close/open the roof is a big deal to me. It ensures that it closes or open fully, when I am holding the remote, if I ever move so slightly the remote doesn't get detected and it stops operation. Sometimes it stops when it is almost done closing/opening the roof but not fully and I wouldn't know until I get back inside the car. I am sure a few people here experienced the same thing.

Also with comfort access, you don't get the door unlocking once the ignition turns off. To other Z4 owners it's not a big deal to pull the door latch twice to open it, we will get used to it but my passenger has slammed their should on more than one occasion because it didn't know this. I'm sure you guys know people who open the door and tries to get out all in one motion.

And as for the moving while closing/opening the roof being effective as of July 2012 (which none of us have at the moment so none of us here has the feature), honestly it can be very dangerous (and annoying) having to hold the button and drive or reverse at the same time. With the 1-button touch, this makes it much easier and safer. Once I am in the parking lot, I press it once and the roof starts closing as I look for a spot or maneuver into a parking space. It's mostly for convenience but it's a great feature that goes hand in hand.

You also gain the folding mirrors when you lock the doors with this module, which is helpful as I mentioned above.

So yeah, you get much more than you mentioned with the module. No need to put it down just because you don't like it or find it worth it.
rfx, not putting anything down...sorry if it came off like that. Just making a point or two. I agree that driving while holding the roof button is a stupid concept. As far as auto unlock when you turn off the ignition...what kind of neighborhoods are you driving in that you need the doors locked while in the car?

What I would really like is for the suspension not to default to "comfort" each time you start up. I drive in sport mode and I'd like it to stay there by default. any ideas out there?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
It's all good.

Quote:
As far as auto unlock when you turn off the ignition...what kind of neighborhoods are you driving in that you need the doors locked while in the car?
The car just locks automatically when I start driving, it came from the factory like that and I like it. It's just a safety feature, you'll never know where you'll end up when you're driving. Your work could be at a more hostile part of the city or your friend you want to visit might live in a more peculiar neighborhood and at anytime at a stoplight anyone could open your door and pull you out and drive away in your car. I live in California and you can park your car somewhere (even in a good neighborhood) leave for 30 minutes and come back with your car being held bu hollow blocks with wheels missing. Just an example of how bad it could get even in a good, wealthy neighborhoods (they actually often target these places because things tend to be more expensive in these places) so the door automatically locking itself is a feature I greatly appreciate. The odds may be slim but there is still that chance that I really would rather not take.

This a crazy world we live in and sadly these things happen.
      04-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

So I wonder if there's a built in safety feature that will automatically unlock the doors if you're involved in a crash so emergency people can enter the car. I bet there is but can't say for sure.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
So I wonder if there's a built in safety feature that will automatically unlock the doors if you're involved in a crash so emergency people can enter the car. I bet there is but can't say for sure.
There is, page 57 of the brochure: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...E8XDunUgsRwTwA

04-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I knew it! Keep the Jaws of Life away from your car!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
Atebit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yellow 2011 Z4 sdrive30i

I 100% agree that BMW should include the SmartTop functionality as standard equipment. My dealer could've ordered their "off the rack" Z4s with this feature, rather than choosing to order them with the Cold Weather Package here in NC. I couldve (should've) ordered mine but live & learn.

Having said that, the SmartTop is some of the best $$$ I've spent in a while. I only wish there was a way to extend the range of the non-CA fob so I could kick of the sequence from a little farther away.

IMHO if you don't have CA in your Z4, you oughta seriously consider the SmartTop, especially now since its plug and play (no more vampire taps!)
      04-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Nv Z
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 35is

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
I do have comfort access, so the biggest value is in not needing to hold the button down for 20 seconds.
I think I will hold off for now and see if I really need it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #20
stablearchitecture
Rep
Drives: Sdrive 35iS - loaded

Garage List
I was considering smart top when I discovered an alternative to it from a German company. - www.cabrio-module.de
The following is a link to the installation instructions, they are all in English and very easy to follow: http://www.reinhold-engineering.de/pdf/BMW_Z4_E89_e.pdf
I can't remember the exact cost, but it was something like £140, a lot cheaper than the smart option, especially if you're outside of America.

It was an awful lot cheaper and it essentially exactly the same thing. It was a really easy install and you have the ability to completely turn it off when taking the car in for a service so that it is undetectable.
I really have come to access on my car, but you have to stand very close to drop the roof whilst outside the car and you have to keep your finger on the button to do it.
The biggest reason I chose to fit this was to have the ability to drop the roof whilst the car was moving away from traffic lights, I've had this on my last three convertibles and it's amazing how useful it is. The last thing you want is to be putting the roof down a set of lights and they change and find yourself there like a complete idiot with the roof halfway down and either have to drive off like this and pull over just down the road, or sit there and hold everyone up.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #21
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablearchitecture View Post
I was considering smart top when I discovered an alternative to it from a German company. - www.cabrio-module.de
The following is a link to the installation instructions, they are all in English and very easy to follow: http://www.reinhold-engineering.de/pdf/BMW_Z4_E89_e.pdf
I can't remember the exact cost, but it was something like £140, a lot cheaper than the smart option, especially if you're outside of America.
That looks like a good alternative but the website says its $299 Euros plus shipping and 5% paypal fee. Do you remember or have a link where it might be sold for cheaper for those who may choose this option?
      04-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #22
stablearchitecture
Rep
Drives: Sdrive 35iS - loaded

Garage List
That's odd, I just found out the e-mail confirming my older, it was 140 GBP and that included £9 for the postage from Germany to the UK. I actually placed the order through eBay, it might be worth checking their to see if they have any listings - mind you it was the British eBay site, not sure if you can log into that from America, although you should be able to.
Appreciate 0