New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #45
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Doesn't your work have other positions you could apply to? You could move around and stay with the company until you figure out exactly what you like to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #46
erik2810
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Doesn't your work have other positions you could apply to? You could move around and stay with the company until you figure out exactly what you like to do.
Trust me, defense contracting (if you're not an engineer/PM) isn't at all interesting. I've been in several different functions (human resources, finance, contracting) and they're all pretty much the same; low creativity, low excitement, and incredibly slow moving (because of the Gov).

I honestly think that for me it's just time to go. My fear is to be in the same industry for 15+ years and be forever tied to Govt Contracting (which happens to many, many people).
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #47
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik2810 View Post
Trust me, defense contracting (if you're not an engineer/PM) isn't at all interesting. I've been in several different functions (human resources, finance, contracting) and they're all pretty much the same; low creativity, low excitement, and incredibly slow moving (because of the Gov).

I honestly think that for me it's just time to go. My fear is to be in the same industry for 15+ years and be forever tied to Govt Contracting (which happens to many, many people).
If you feel that way you should look for something else. Just remember that you're trading the stability of a government job to pursue other things (perhaps higher paying jobs, hobby, passion, etc.). I suppose you could always try it and decide that if the grass really isn't greener, you could come back.

The problem is where do you start? I would talk to people that are doing what you would like to do. Get some advice and pick their brains for thoughts. You will have a better understanding of what you would like to do then.
Appreciate 0