New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
It is so on topic.. We have advised OP to watch out for his TMPS and mentioned some other solutions rather than a preemptive usage of the fix a flat goop.

@tranquility... it is super easy... you thread the rubber twizzler thing through the eye hole in the T handle, then coat the twizzler with epoxy, pull out the nail, jam the handle (epoxy coated rubber twizzler and all) in then pull it back out. That motion creates a plug in the hole. You finish up by cutting the ends of the twizzler that are sticking out of the tire with box cutters, and put more epoxy on the outside for good measure. After that you top off the air and reset the TPMS. Takes about 5 minutes (and the kits have pictures of all steps).

I've had 3 of those 1/4" diameter or less puncture that were more than 1" away from the edge of the tread. 2 of them fixed fine with the twizzler kit and 1 was a fix a flat epic fail

back on topic... i think the orig product posted will fall into the fix a flat epic fail category
Yes but doesn't that require you to have a jack and wrench to get the tire off the car? I don't know about you , but I'm not carrying that in the trunk of my Z4.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #24
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Yes but doesn't that require you to have a jack and wrench to get the tire off the car? I don't know about you , but I'm not carrying that in the trunk of my Z4.
No need to remove tire from the car.

Both times I just turned the front wheel to expose the nail causing the slow leak and did the repair with the tire on the ground.

If it was a rear tire it would be more annoying since you would need to lie on the ground to get at the nail and put in the plug

So true though.. air compressor and 1L of oil feel like they take up 10% of the trunk space already!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Thx Nick. I assume that one must jack up the car before removing the nail, or else it will deflate too quickly w/ the weight of the car on the tire?

OT: how much deviation is required before the TPMS goes off?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #26
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Thx Nick. I assume that one must jack up the car before removing the nail, or else it will deflate too quickly w/ the weight of the car on the tire?

OT: how much deviation is required before the TPMS goes off?
Didn't need to jack it up first.

I believe its 8 psi less (25% of the threshold value)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #27
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Just read that in the USA it became law for car manufacturers to fit TPMS to all vehicles manufactured from Sept 2007. That would explain why some refer to TPMS (those of you across the pond from us in the UK) and some refer to the other system (which I imagine is cheaper).
Appreciate 0