New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
shadowfax777
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport

Question about exterior mirrors

Today I first used the auto folding mirrors, and found that the near-side mirror (passenger-side) was folded more inward to the car. I unfolded the mirrors back to normal position and the driver's mirror was actually more outward from the car. I checked other BMW and noticed they are all like that.

Does anyone know the reason behind it? My 10-year-old VW Polo even has a smaller near-side mirror.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Maybe it has something to do with managing driver's side blind spots better (in that the driver's mirror is out just slightly more?)....just a guess obviously.

By the way, both my mirrors are being replaced next week because they make a grinding noise when folded inward. Dealer said definitely not normal and ordered 2 mirrors.

Nice!
Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax777 View Post
Today I first used the auto folding mirrors, and found that the near-side mirror (passenger-side) was folded more inward to the car. I unfolded the mirrors back to normal position and the driver's mirror was actually more outward from the car. I checked other BMW and noticed they are all like that.

Does anyone know the reason behind it? My 10-year-old VW Polo even has a smaller near-side mirror.
Remember that mirrors reflect the image at exactly the opposit angle that you view the object. If you sat in the middle of the car they could both be equal, but they have to compensate for the different distances/angle from your driving position.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 06-07-2010 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

It's to compensate for the different distances/angles from driving position. You'll notice that some cars have slightly different wing mirrors on each side -shape or the way its positioned (more inward or outward).

T
Appreciate 0