New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #23
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

thanks Juhap!

Screamer, i hope my post answered your question.
      06-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #24
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
My windows are playing catch me if you can! They don't drop when open the door. When open the top only the small aft windows open......nothing else.. did an initialization of the windows. Then they worked until i got out of the car. When closing the car from outside all windows goes up and then the left one goes down to 1/2.
I'm going for my carvacation in less than 34 hours. Thanks!
I will be parked outside the dealer in 6 hours. I'm so tired! Had planned this trip since march all for my son. By the way I just got it back last friday for som reprogramming to make it speak like the rest of the swedes! I'm so tired...............

But it's a hell of a car and she is mine!

I don't want a loaner, i want my car fixed, reprogrammed, uppgraded, brainwashed and learned from scratch. Is that to much to ask?

BMW reprogrammed my windows. drove 620 km yesterday. Locomotive!

Last edited by SHADOW4; 06-05-2010 at 04:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 03:17 AM   #25
Screamer
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
I am terribly sorry for your trouble. Hopefully the e89 will be relatively trouble free from now on.
Thanks VintageBMW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T89
I believe the glovebox option (accessories) is for those that overlooked or did not spec the aux and usb in the armrest and wants to connect their ipods.
Yep, that's me ;-) You can have both the armrest USB retrofitted or the glovebox iPod-only option, with the glovebox iPod-only option sounding like it's about half the price! Given that I'm not really interested in playing music from a USB stick or anything other than an iPod, what I'm wondering is whether the iPod-only glovebox option gives *exactly* the same iPod control as the armrest USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Dee
Took them a while to sort it tho' and I still have an ongoing problem with window synchronisation when closing (BMW technical are apparently working on a fix!). Hasn't stopped me loving my Z4!
Sorry to hear that Micky! That's what I'm worried about too - firstly that they want the car all day because they don't know what's up (I suspect it *was* a microswitch in the boot, but whatever they did to get the roof to go back up is now causing all kinds of error messages so maybe more now needs fixing) and therefore once they've established which parts have failed, they'll have to order them and I'll lose another week or two without being able to use the roof and another day with the car altogether while they make the repairs... And there's the issue with making sure it all syncs back together properly once it is fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1
Hey, I found out. The retrofit would only go in glovebox and it's $606.50 plus tax.
Thanks Memphis1! Presumably that's lots cheaper than having the armrest USB retrofitted, like it is here in the UK. I still need to find out if it offers all the same functionality that the armrest USB does when used with an iPod, though. The BMW photo of the glovebox option doesn't inspire confidence because the iDrive interface in the photo appears not to even use the full screen width! That said, the graphics look like an earlier version of iDrive and so it might just be a half-hearted photoshop from an older car rather than actually fitting the accessory in the E89 photo car.

Just so everyone understands the options, here's a full run-down of all the USB/iPod related ports and options:

- USB connection in glovebox: this is standard fit on all cars with iDrive/navigation. It's there to transfer music from USB sticks to the car's 12gb of remaining disk space and for transferring planned routes from the BMW Routes website.
- iPod connection in glovebox: optional accessory for connecting an iPod and *only* an iPod. No-one seems to know if this offers all the functionality and control of the:
- USB connection in armrest: optional accessory for connecting an iPod or USB stick. Provides full control of the iPod (i.e. list and search all artists, albums, etc) and the same for USB sticks.

If anyone is able to find out if the glovebox iPod connection (item 2) does everything the armrest USB (item 3) can do with an iPod, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for all your replies and help so far!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #26
coetzejg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 3.0 M Black/red

I've got a manual and also been trying to find those optimal gearshift indicators, but can't get it to display according to the handbook. How do you activate those?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #27
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coetzejg View Post
I've got a manual and also been trying to find those optimal gearshift indicators, but can't get it to display according to the handbook. How do you activate those?
I've always had them and there's nothing under iDrive settings to enable/disable them, so maybe it's a regional thing. FWIW, I think this feature is absolutely useless.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #28
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
If anyone is able to find out if the glovebox iPod connection (item 2) does everything the armrest USB (item 3) can do with an iPod, I'd really appreciate it!
hey screamer, according to this, the glovebox retrofit works 100% like the armrest. I don't see why it wouldn't, either factory original or retrofit. and I know a lot of members here have continued to misunderstand the glovebox USB port, again, not sure why.

http://accessories.bmw.com/internet_...&absoluteNav=1
      06-04-2010, 03:31 AM   #29
Screamer
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black Z4 sDrive35i

Thanks Memphis1! Yeah, that's the same info on the UK site... Just a shame that the photo of the iDrive screen doesn't inspire confidence nor that the info is particularly detailed! Guess I'll just have to hammer my question into the dealer so if I do buy it and it doesn't work as expected I can kick up a bit of fuss! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #30
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Memphis, you have an unlimited assortment of tasty avatars!

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0