New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
ICUK
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 E89

Naive's dilemma...

Hi All,

I have regiestered on this website few months ago and after reading all these I am convinced and ordered my E89 Alpine White M Sport on Feb 2010 and basically I ticked most of the options.

Here come my situation, I was told every now and then since April that there has been a problem importing BMW in my country thus was asked to wait. Yesterday I lost my patience and wanted to cancle the order, they then offered me another one which is similar and ready but many options are missing. I tried to accept most of them but there are some options that I really hate. My point is to ask for your guys opinion and to check whether these options are replacable:

1. Extended Kansas. The one they offered is the normal version. I don't think I can or I will change it aftermarket. Any idea on the difference? (i.e. does it really look so different?)

2. Dark ash wood trim. This is the most unacceptable part. No offense, but it's just not my style. FYI, mine is Alpine White and Red Kansas! Very bad interior combination. Do you might know if I can get a replacement/part number of any other trim for E89?

3. Universal Remote Control. This one I can easily order a replacement.

4. Others: 6-disc DVD, Logic7 speaker, high-beam assistant and lumbar support and through loading storage are all missing. All these I probably have to close my eyes and pretend it doesn't exist.

5. 18" 325 M alloy. But the one they offered me is 19" 326 M. Valuewise is better but not sure I will like it

Of course, they will deduct the price accordingly but still....

All in all, one final question 'will you take it?' (I know this is very stupid question, but been thinking about it overnight and thought may be I would get some ideas from you guys.)

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
In a word "NO"

The 19" 326 rims might be a plus but all the other things are negatives and it will eat at you for as long as you have the car. Be patient and tell them to get what you ordered. You will like it better in the long run.

PS:
I like my extended Kansas leather, I'm not really sure what the difference is but I like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUK View Post

1. Extended Kansas. The one they offered is the normal version. I don't think I can or I will change it aftermarket. Any idea on the difference? (i.e. does it really look so different?)

the diff between extended and "normal" is that extended has black leather on the dash and upper portion of the door and armrest and thighrest (the normal version has leatherette in the armrest and thighrest), the actual leather, all the bits in red, are the same.

2. Dark ash wood trim. This is the most unacceptable part. No offense, but it's just not my style. FYI, mine is Alpine White and Red Kansas! Very bad interior combination. Do you might know if I can get a replacement/part number of any other trim for E89?

you can order replacement wood or Aluminum, but why should you? plus if your car is taking long to get to your country, imagine the hassle they're gonna give you for little bits and parts.

not sure what you mean, do you mean garage door remote?? there's also a replacement rearview mirror you can order, but again, why should you?

4. Others: 6-disc DVD, Logic7 speaker, high-beam assistant and lumbar support and through loading storage are all missing. All these I probably have to close my eyes and pretend it doesn't exist.

trust me on this, you WANT and NEED the logic7 with 14 speakers, nothing less

5. 18" 325 M alloy. But the one they offered me is 19" 326 M. Valuewise is better but not sure I will like it

IMO, they're both nice looking wheels, and this would actually not matter to me if it was my choice

All in all, one final question 'will you take it?' (I know this is very stupid question, but been thinking about it overnight and thought may be I would get some ideas from you guys.)
to sum it up, I think it is worth the wait to get the car exactly how you want it and ordered it, BUT it's your money so it's your decision. I personally would wait to get the car originally ordered.

06-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
kevingiardini
kevin
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw z4 35i

I do not think the extended leather is that big of a deal. I had the regular coral leather and I do not miss not having extended leather. The ash wood trim is a personnel preference...and it sounds like a deal breaker to you...and just like what Mcbeee said, if you spend all this money on a car like this, u want everything u want, otherwise it will eat at you for the rest of your time u had this car. so I would say no, wait for it, a few month is not worth the tortured soul.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUK View Post
Hi All,

I have regiestered on this website few months ago and after reading all these I am convinced and ordered my E89 Alpine White M Sport on Feb 2010 and basically I ticked most of the options.

Here come my situation, I was told every now and then since April that there has been a problem importing BMW in my country thus was asked to wait. Yesterday I lost my patience and wanted to cancle the order, they then offered me another one which is similar and ready but many options are missing. I tried to accept most of them but there are some options that I really hate. My point is to ask for your guys opinion and to check whether these options are replacable:

Of course, they will deduct the price accordingly but still....

Many thanks
You're giving up a lot for this deal! Don't do it.

Wheels are one thing and the trim are separate pieces that can be ordered/installed, and if those were the only things then maybe yes. You could probably live without the extended leather.

But looking over what they are offering, it looks like a floor model that nobody else wants, which in my mind would be next to impossible swallow.

Big question in my mind is why are they giving you such a run around? What's the difficulty getting a Z4 in Bangkok? And, if they could get the floor model why can't they get yours?

My guess they are making you wait with the hope that you'll get desperate and buy the floor model. Tell them you won't accept the floor model under any circumstances. Say no and push away from the table and see what they do. I'll bet they manage to suddenly get yours ordered and delivered rather quickly because they want to make a sale.

My 2 cents - FWIW
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 06-04-2010 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Simple, wait longer and ask for a compensation or another Z4 to drive until you got yours...
      06-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

One of the better things about BMW is the ease with which one can spec out a new car. Dunno how this goes in your country, but easy in US (try buying a Corvette that way here and you'll quickly see the contrast). Suggest you take advantage of that and get the car you want, not one sitting on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
ICUK
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 E89

Thanks...

Thank you everyone

Yeah... I might probably have to cancle my order as I dont want to wait for another 4 months (that would be 8 months in total!). They will only release my car on September. I have checked with some of my friends who ordered, they are facing the same problem.

They said this car (the one in the lot) were imported before this import restriction...

The thing about importing european car to Thailand is rather complicated. Very red tape customs declaration process with the import taxes of 200%+ which makes the car price jumped to at least USD 150K for E89 just a 23i.

That's why it is so seductive seeing the one parked in the dealer's lot...but after reading all your comments, I guess I just have to let it go.

Many thanks anyway guys.
Appreciate 0