New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
giovannm
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Downpipe and metalli kat Supersprint on Z4 35i

Hi, I'm just come back from Supersprint where just mounted downpipe and kat 200 cells. My feeling is: 1) PERFORMANCE: in full acceleration not perceive an increase "monstrous" (... of course ... that will take care by the ECU), but there is a greater "aggressive" from 2500/3000 rpm up, then I went to see the array of power and torque and saw that indeed the greater increase in torque is at 3300 rpm. Upper reaches 100/150 rpm higher (from 5600 to 5700). The major difference is at partial loads, where the car is showing much more responsive throttle and takes turns with more speed. One senses the engine much more fluid and disappeared that even minimal turbo lag. One thing that I perceived clearly is shifting in case of violent escalation: more aggressive. Globally much more pleasant to drive, and with a make-up of electronic ... 2) SOUND: Exciting!! The very thing that I like is that it has maintained the original terminals at a constant speed (and therefore the valve on the discharge closed) there is no difference compared to the stock. But accelerated in the sound becomes metallic and 3500 rpm very aggressive, to make the idea very much like the M3 E46; shame not to have more than 1000 rpm. OIL TEMPERATURE: what I expected, that is no longer reaches the peak first. It 'true that the temperature these days helps, but I did the same route in the same conditions and in the leg while pulling on the mountains often exceeded 120 degrees, to return there has ever come close. CONCLUSIONS: preparation very successful, beyond my expectations (which were not targeted to benefits in an absolute sense), but that has optimized all what I expected (and still are always 338cv ..). As usual SS revealed all their skills, they put her weeks (downpipe is completely different from that of the 335i and 1M for which they had to remake it from scratch), but if you look at the photos is really well done. Also the great thing is that it works perfectly with their probes, without having to touch the electronics. I think that soon you will find the pieces available on their site. Available for clarification and photos.

Below the link with foto and dyno test:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6753277&type=1
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:25 AM   #2
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Talk about hard to read…..couldn't even get past the second line of this block of text.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Likely English as a second language - so close enough to get the context of the review. Thanks for doing it!!!!

Nice to see some more competition in this area, but in looking at the pictures, their welding skills need to get better. Compare these to the ar design units and you can definitely see a difference in the quality. SS is usually a little cheaper than their peers - so lets see what happens with pricing. I can't see the market getting any larger for these specific z4 units...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hi OP, thanks for sharing your review. Who is the tuner? I think that is a key part to get the benefits of the downpipe

Also, have you tried the acceleration from a stop in DSC off mode from a stop, or in 3rd gear from a roll? I think even with a "stage 1" (chip only) car there are some traction issues in 1st gear, so that might make the acceleration less exciting if the electronics are left on
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:34 AM   #5
Gardus
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 250 Cup

Giovannm is from Italy (like me...the SS headquarters are there).

The downpipes and front pipes are a prototype, I guess it's normal that the welding are a little less refined than the usual SS quality, and there are also more welding as these parts were made starting from pre-bent pipes and not custom-bent for this purpose.

I had the chance to hear the car in person. At idle it sounds just a bit more menacing, but you barely notice the difference driving normally.
When you open up the tap and the exhaust valve opens up the difference is very evident, much more aggressive, with a lightly tinny tone that reminds of previous 6 cylinders NA engines.
It pops more aggressively as well on the lift-off.

I checked the charts and loaded elsewhere to post them here, and the power gains are in line with other N54 engined cars with the same mods.

Stock:
324.6 hp

SS:
337.8 hp

Comparative chart:

With an ECU tune you will certainly be able to get the most of the new exhaust!
Appreciate 0