New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Damaged metal in underside (heatshield panel piece?)

So I discovered this weird damaged metal thing from underneath my car (attached pic-sorry it's upside-down, I'm using my phone and it strangely did that even though I took it properly). I have no idea what it was actually or how it got damaged but apparently the shop said that's what it is and it was like that cuz it's near the exhaust and was caused by heat/vibration and it's normal; they just cut off that damaged part.

Just wanted to get 2nd opinions cuz I would've thought a crazy rock or something hit it. I have no idea what it is so asking you experts.

I guess it's OK they just removed that piece?
Attached Images

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 02:58 PM   #2
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
It looks like the edge of one of the heatshields. It goes up into the tunnel area above the exhaust to reflect heat away from the interior. As that's at the outer edge, it's an area of the shield that doesn't really do anything so the dealer's 'fix' is reasonable.

The only risk is that the part removed weakens it near the mounting bolt and it continues to tear or rattle. I'd say it's fine. Deal with it later if it gets worse.

OTOH, I'd say something you drove over likely snagged it to cause the damage. Vibration alone won't tear the metal, and it's designed to be hot.

Gerry
      04-22-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
It looks like the edge of one of the heatshields. It goes up into the tunnel area above the exhaust to reflect heat away from the interior. As that's at the outer edge, it's an area of the shield that doesn't really do anything so the dealer's 'fix' is reasonable.

The only risk is that the part removed weakens it near the mounting bolt and it continues to tear or rattle. I'd say it's fine. Deal with it later if it gets worse.

OTOH, I'd say something you drove over likely snagged it to cause the damage. Vibration alone won't tear the metal, and it's designed to be hot.

Gerry
Thanks for your analysis. I'm just trying to figure out what the heck I snagged. I know my car's low but if I hit anything, wouldn't the surrounding areas be damaged? Seems like that's the only thing that got twisted. I recall the underside is just flat so no idea how it could change so much before whatever caused that. So weird, but luckily it was only that. Maybe (most likely) it was that time I got beach-whaled on some lousy snow ridge.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #4
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Hard packed snow could easily do it. The panels are pretty lightweight. They're designed to reflect heat and aren't structural.

Gerry