New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #23
Vintage
Colonel
Vintage's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
2,453
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 2014 535xd 2016 GT4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

honestly, the AR DPs with race cats mellowed out the sometimes drone and tinny sound of the Eisenmann race exhaust of our car - seriously, it made the sound much better than it was with just the Eisenmann; even my sweet wife commented on the improved sound quality

I was worried about the sound getting worse but that improved significantly as did the POWER!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #24
Hujan
Brigadier General
Hujan's Avatar
United_States
389
Rep
3,626
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
honestly, the AR DPs with race cats mellowed out the sometimes drone and tinny sound of the Eisenmann race exhaust of our car - seriously, it made the sound much better than it was with just the Eisenmann; even my sweet wife commented on the improved sound quality

I was worried about the sound getting worse but that improved significantly as did the POWER!!!
Really? Interesting that the AR downpipes mellowed it out. Any CELs with the AR race-catted downpipes? Any aftermarket downpipe -- even catted ones -- throw a code on the Minis; hoping the BMW ECU will keep the CEL away as long as we use high-flow cats.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
Vintage
Colonel
Vintage's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
2,453
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 2014 535xd 2016 GT4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Answer = yes, really. It is now deeper and less raspy. No CELs/or codes of any kind thrown.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #26
Hujan
Brigadier General
Hujan's Avatar
United_States
389
Rep
3,626
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Answer = yes, really. It is now deeper and less raspy. No CELs/or codes of any kind thrown.
Cool, thanks. Really appreciate the feedback. You've given me confidence to give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #27
Vintage
Colonel
Vintage's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
2,453
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 2014 535xd 2016 GT4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

I hope you love them as much as we do - let me know, the AR DPs are a great product.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #28
Hujan
Brigadier General
Hujan's Avatar
United_States
389
Rep
3,626
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (15)

Thought I'd bump this thread. Starting to think seriously about some mods for the Z and am toying with the idea of just putting catless DPs on and keeping the remainder of the exhaust stock.

How significantly do they affect the tone/volume/drone?
__________________
E92 M3: MRF Velaforza | Brembo GT | KW Clubsport | BBS E88 | Recaro Sportsters
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #29
army_men
Lieutenant
army_men's Avatar
23
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: E89 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [5.00]
just installed ar catless dp with stock exhaust. much more rumble and generally deeper and louder exhaust notes. i love it! no drone or vibrations for me.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
pbu06
Enlisted Member
United_States
4
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 09' Z4 35i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men
just installed ar catless dp with stock exhaust. much more rumble and generally deeper and louder exhaust notes. i love it! no drone or vibrations for me.
Any error codes with catless dp?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #31
Vintage
Colonel
Vintage's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
2,453
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 2014 535xd 2016 GT4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

awesome - glad they worked out for you
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #32
army_men
Lieutenant
army_men's Avatar
23
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: E89 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbu06 View Post
Any error codes with catless dp?
Yea but only when I ran the original stage 1 tune, which throws code for catalytic converter efficiency below threshold, to be expected really with the catless.

After the Stage 2 tune I've been running for 2 week without issue/code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
awesome - glad they worked out for you
Thanks Vintage!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #33
Hujan
Brigadier General
Hujan's Avatar
United_States
389
Rep
3,626
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men View Post
just installed ar catless dp with stock exhaust. much more rumble and generally deeper and louder exhaust notes. i love it! no drone or vibrations for me.
Any sound clips? Also, I apologize if it's been asked and answered, but what software are you running?
__________________
E92 M3: MRF Velaforza | Brembo GT | KW Clubsport | BBS E88 | Recaro Sportsters
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #34
army_men
Lieutenant
army_men's Avatar
23
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: E89 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Any sound clips? Also, I apologize if it's been asked and answered, but what software are you running?
Sorry no sound clip yet. I've only got a cellphone cam right now, and my neighbours wouldn't appreciate my enthusiasm with the gas pedal.

AR design has a couple of sound clips on youtube with the AR catless. anything with n54 stock exhaust should sound pretty similar.

Cold start sounds much louder than this video. I think the car is warmed up in this vid.



I'm running Cobb tuning Access port, Stage 2 tune.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #35
Hujan
Brigadier General
Hujan's Avatar
United_States
389
Rep
3,626
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men View Post
Sorry no sound clip yet. I've only got a cellphone cam right now, and my neighbours wouldn't appreciate my enthusiasm with the gas pedal.

AR design has a couple of sound clips on youtube with the AR catless. anything with n54 stock exhaust should sound pretty similar.

Cold start sounds much louder than this video. I think the car is warmed up in this vid.



I'm running Cobb tuning Access port, Stage 2 tune.
Thanks for posting that. I like how that sounds, but it's always hard to judge from standing revs. Sounds good, though.
__________________
E92 M3: MRF Velaforza | Brembo GT | KW Clubsport | BBS E88 | Recaro Sportsters
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST