New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Am I being too picky?

I've taken the beloved Z into the dealership for a buzz that comes from the dash under pull away acceleration around 1000-1200 rpm. Its not intolerable, but I wish it wasn't there as the rest of the car is quiet.

Having had it today they've reproduced the noise and they tell me they will need to strip the dash to find it, 2/3 days in the shop.

So I'm now wondering if I can live with it, as I don't like the idea of the dash being stripped to find it...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Personally, I would leave it. If you can bear the noise that is. It's been my experience when they start ripping things apart, it's just never the same and frankly, you may end up with other more annoying noises!!

Turn up the stereo!

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
Personally, I would leave it. If you can bear the noise that is. It's been my experience when they start ripping things apart, it's just never the same and frankly, you may end up with other more annoying noises!!

Turn up the stereo!

Dave
don't let them stripe the dash, no dealer on planet earth can reproduce the job done at the factory.

Turn up the stereo
      01-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I've never seen a dealer shop (any brand) that can do interior work without making things worse. They just don't seem to have the patience or finesse to do it properly. I wouldn't let them near a dashboard!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I think I may just put up with it then. There's no noise when moving etc, or bumps, just at specific exhaust notes (when pulling away from a standstill, at about 1000-1200 rpm) you get this buzz like a loom rattling against plastic, lasts about 2 seconds. Just slightly annoying for such a costly car, but yes I do worry about the effects of removing so much of the interior. I may just skip this one, they've done the overall dash check, its nothing that can be solved by a quick tighten up.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Mr C
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 Dakar and E90 AW

Like everyone says, JUST LEAVE IT. My 135i has the famous airbag indentation. The fix is to have the whole dash replaced. Several have had it done, and it is never the same, as when the robots or the person installs it at the factory. I just live with the small indentation on the dash.
      01-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Just want to reach inside and press stuff... might look into at least how to remove an easy part of the dash, like the under dash in the passenger footwell... as I know I'll be careful. If I could find someone to produce the noise while I go press stuff around. Then I can wedge in some foam if I find the right area. (found I can reproduce it with the eBrake on and tapping the throttle in gear)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Here's one DIY vid on how an M3 dash comes apart, but you'll notice there's a lot of wires and other gear in there. It's not for the faint minded. You may be better off hooking up with a good stereo shop that serves high end cars.

FWIW

SmartTV DVD Unlock Installation Overview

EAS has a bunch of other vids that you can subscribe to on the tube

Hope it helps.

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

I wouldn't trust the dealer with other than basic repairs/maintenance... Changing oil, filters, break caliper is I have to do... And... That's about it... Listen to what others are trying to tell you here....

Turn on the volume of your Radio!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Take it to the BMW Service dept. Tell them there is a noise. Instruct them to do whatever it takes to make it go away FOR GOOD and don't call back until the noise is completely gone. Tell them there are thousands of us who do not hear that noise, and all you want is what the rest of the Z4 owners have - a dashboard that doesn't make noise.

Do not take any excuses like "it's the cold weather and it will go away when it warms up."
The response to that is: It's cold almost everywhere, and those folk don't have dash noises. Don't take any BS from the service mgr.

The expectation is that a $50k- $60k car should NOT be making noise like that, so BMW needs to own up to it and fix the issue.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 01-18-2011 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

Re:

My car had the radio replaced (fault still remains).

However my dash now buzzes around the heater controls. It's like two pieces of polystyrene being rubbed together.

Dealer after two attempts can't sort it.

So i'd leave it. Maybe by summer and a few miles it will get worse, identifying the problem better or just like my last E89 vanish altogether.

It had a constant rattle on bumpy roads then one day it just stopped .
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
nickm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White

Maniac, mate...perhaps compare it with another car and see if it makes the same sound....
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

No it's a definite loud buzz at certain revs, no way it's normal. Like having coins in an ashtray...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
nicolak
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 F350 17 i3 REx

For what it is worth I had a similar noise, made me hate the car to the point I almost traded. I found the fuse box under the passenger side to be the culprit. It is a unique telescoping setup, just lowered and placed back in the upright locked position, noise gone and sanity returned.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 03:11 AM   #15
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'll take it to the dealer IF I can't sort it myself as its not liveable-with.

Its a pretty loud buzz at around 1200-1500rpm as heard on the way to work earlier. I can reproduce it any-time. I don't want the dash ripped apart ideally, but it is loud enough to spoil my enjoyment of the car. I'll unscrew/drop the fuses this weekend, see if its that, sounds more central dash though to me, hard to tell given I'm driving when it does it and the buzz lasts a second or two. Super-irritating really.

If I can access the rear of the dash from under the footwells, I've found a way to make the buzz slightly when at standstill, so I should be able to start pressing stuff around and hopefully find what I need to pack in there to stop it. Can't wait for it to be gone so I can hear and enjoy the exhaust note rather than wind up the hifi!

Dealer said it was likely something bulkhead related, like a vacuum pipe or cable thats popped off its mount and now buzzing against other stuff at a particular rpm pitch. They'd checked the engine bay though, nothing to report there, hence inner bulkhead they thought. I don't really care, if I find it, foam will get wedged in, end of.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #16
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Hey Maniac...............I have the IDENTICAL noise.....

It's very annoying....a thrumming/vibration at exactly the revs you mention, and under load.
Car now 18 months old / 8,000 miles and no change.
It seems worse when cold.
And some days it's not there.
Like you, I thought "get dealer to fix".

But as the guys say, don't trust a dealer to remove the dash properly without creating more problems.
I can just visualise the scenario...
"All done sir, noise fixed"
"Thanks"
- 2 weeks later -
Ah, something's wrong with the I-drive.
"Dash will have to come out sir"
- 2 weeks later -
etc., etc., etc.,
NIGHTMARE - It's just not worth it.

I have learnt to live with it.

Wind the window down and enjoy the "other" sounds....!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #17
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I have to admit I gave in... I can't live with it, its too loud. They've had the car for 2 days now, its in bits, they think they've found the issue, just waiting for more tests to be certain. Its under warranty, and I know its hassle, but the garage is only 10 mins walk from work, so its not a major inconvenience if I have to take it several times to get it spot on (though I hope I won't have to). Did I do the right thing... I'll soon know!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #18
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I have her back... The various little things are sorted.. And while there are no new noises, the buzz remains I may have to accept it.

They spent ages on it, tightening stuff, wrapping wires etc in felt etc. Console was out, idrive etc but still couldn't locate it.

Hey ho.. It's just an intermittent buzz.. (argh! Lol)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #19
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
For the price I would continue to take it to them until they get it fixed or give you another one !!!! If they cannot fix it and you decide to live with it make them give you CASH for your inconvenience....

I had a similar issue with an option that they screwed up and ended up accepting it with a BUINDLE OF CASH to satisfy me !!

Good luck !!

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0