New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #23
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
by the way, DCT is smoother than any auto tranny and smoother than a manual
It's certainly not my experience that the DCT is smoother than a manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #24
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
It's certainly not my experience that the DCT is smoother than a manual.
+1, "Smoother than a manual" would clearly depend on who is doing the shifting of the manual.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #25
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

^^ you don't even have a DCT
      01-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #26
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

The DCT is smoother shifting than any manual. It's human vs computer.

Someone with a manual would have to concentrate on shifting as smoothly as possible just to be close the the smoothness of the DCT.

If someone is TRYING to shift as smooth as possible with their manual, or like mstevens who says the manual is smoother, then it seems they are defeating the purpose of having a manual in the first place. I drove a manual for 12 years prior to getting the 35i, ('97 Prelude, '00 Eclipse, '02 s2000, '05 350Z and '07 Corvette, all manuals) and the last thing I thought about was how smooth I could shift.

Why would anyone leaning strongly towards the manual over the DCT or who already decided on the manual over the DCT even care about whether it is as smooth as the DCT?

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 01-27-2011 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #27
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

I just think ppl have a hard time letting go of the concept of the traditional manual, I know I did.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #28
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

My only comment on the DCT is that I feel a little less at one with the car.. But there's no denying it's super smooth and super quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #29
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post

Someone with a manual would have to concentrate on shifting as smoothly as possible just to be close the the smoothness of the DCT.

If someone is TRYING to shift as smooth as possible with their manual, or like mstevens who says the manual is smoother, then it seems they are defeating the purpose of having a manual in the first place. I drove a manual for 12 years prior to getting the 35i, ('97 Prelude, '00 Eclipse, '02 s2000, '05 350Z and '07 Corvette, all manuals) and the last thing I thought about was how smooth I could shift.

Why would anyone leaning strongly towards the manual over the DCT or who already decided on the manual over the DCT even care about whether it is as smooth as the DCT?
I'm pretty sure I said it hasn't been my experience that the DCT is smoother than the manual, not that the manual is smoother than the DCT.

Before we go much farther with this, it's important to acknowledge that nobody in the US is going to be able to do an apples-to-apples comparison of DCT vs. manual in a 35is. Perhaps we also have to define what "smooth" means, since there are different ways of using that term. That said, I can compare a 3.0 e85 Z4 manual to an e89 35is Z4 with DCT.

To me, "smooth" shifting means quick gear transitions with minimal effect on the car's suspension and with minimal unpredictability. I'm probably also unavoidably including the idea that these transitions happen exactly when I want them to. With the DCT, shifts are not instantaneous by any means. Under some conditions, there's significant lag between when I send the shift signal and when it occurs. This never happens with a manual. If a shift does not happen precisely when I order it, that's not "smooth" to me. DCT shifting is all or nothing - you can't feather the clutch, which is sometimes preferable to using the brakes.

If my "smooth" one means "barely perceptible most of the time," then in my opinion this is true of both the DCT and of skillful manual shifting.

Why would anyone think of smoothness of shifting? When driving competitively, smoothness (of steering, shifting, and braking) is almost always what makes the difference between winning and losing, not horsepower or torque. If the last thing you thought of was how smoothly you were shifting, you weren't getting the most performance from your car.

As to why anyone would care which is smoother, that really seems to be more the concern of those who love the DCT, not those who like manuals.

Human vs. computer, btw, is a total red herring. Computers usually suck at things humans are good at. Smooth, fluid movements are an excellent example of this. Human surgeons, artists, etc. have nothing to fear from computers for a very long time.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #30
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

My experience with the DCT is it shifts smoother than I ever could with a manual and I've had plenty over 25 years.

The DCT in normal mode does have a slight lag but it still is probably quicker than the whole manual shift action (clutch in, shift, clutch out) around town. Even with this slight lag, power delivery is scarcely interrupted. In manual sport modes, shifting occurs more quickly than any human could ever shift, and smoother than most.
The KEY to a smooth manual shift is rev matching so that the RPM and power delivery of the new gear is correct, more important on a downshift than an upshift. There are track experts that do this quite well but none do it quicker than DCT.

The only issues I ever have with the DCT are with a rolling stop and a reverse to drive shift. In the rolling stop, the DCT seems to drop into first just as you want to go and you get a delayed clutch re-engageent, especially when cold.. I also note a delay shifting from reverse to drive, after backing out a parking spot.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #31
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:

Second that............
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #32
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:

My thoughts exactly....if I cared about smoothness and whatever the seconds difference is, I would have opted for DCT. I just like the feel of being able to run through the gears and my left foot pressing a clutch. And not everyone could drive my car....lol "Oh, it's a stick" reaction.
      01-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #33
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Human vs. computer, btw, is a total red herring. Computers usually suck at things humans are good at. Smooth, fluid movements are an excellent example of this. Human surgeons, artists, etc. have nothing to fear from computers for a very long time.
Wow, I better cancel that computerized laser eye surgery I have scheduled for next Tuesday. I knew that price was just too good to be true.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, I better cancel that computerized laser eye surgery I have scheduled for next Tuesday.
There's still a surgeon involved, who does the parts requiring judgment and skill (such as operating the keratotome). All the computer does is basically sand away the subepithelial corneal tissue with a laser. This doesn't have to be particularly smooth since the epithelial layer will be glued back down on top of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #35
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

^^ pointless argument... you hold something to be true, even though it is not, and you're just being stubborn to accept that technology saves us everyday from human error.
      01-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #36
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's still a surgeon involved, who does the parts requiring judgment and skill (such as operating the keratotome). All the computer does is basically sand away the subepithelial corneal tissue with a laser. This doesn't have to be particularly smooth since the epithelial layer will be glued back down on top of it.
Joke

Your head
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #37
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
^^ pointless argument... you hold something to be true, even though it is not, and you're just being stubborn to accept that technology saves us everyday from human error.
Ah, the use of bold-face as evidence has finally convinced me.

Or were you responding to BlueZ4AZ's pointless argument?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #38
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Joke

Your head
Does that actually mean anything?

If so, what?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #39
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

You understood I was making a joke and you know Memphis1 was calling your argument pointless, not mine.

????????

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 01-30-2011 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 02:13 AM   #40
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Eh I drive a manual and a DCT everyday when I get the chance. No comparison, DCT is miles smoother in normal usage. I have to really try hard and imagine I am driving around the Queen to get the manual even close....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #41
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Agree with AlexT

While the clutch is depressed in any manual car, there is no forward force so the car is decelerating. So as you transfer up through the gears you will always have a certain amount of surge on the new gear engagement. Ie accelerate-deccelerate-accelerate-etc... This causes the heads of the driver and passenger to go back and forth, impacting the "smoothness" of the driving. It gets more pronounced the faster you accelerate and the longer it takes you to change gears. Ie everyone will get a different amount of jerk in their manual gearchange.

DCT minimizes the deceleration period to an unnoticeable time (they call it instantaneous) so you merely have a small change in the forward acceleration rate. This will minimise the amount of force your body feels for the same net acceleration of the car.
So I would say that for the same acceleration rate, the DCT will always be smoother.

If you want to split hairs and try to say that at crawling pace the DCT is a bit jerky compared to a skilled manual driver who rides the clutch, then give your car to your grandmother and see if she can drive it like it's supposed to be driven. Ie like a sports car.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #42
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

This is the most understandable and comprehensive explanation I have read on this topic Stig ...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #43
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
DCT minimizes the deceleration period to an unnoticeable time (they call it instantaneous) so you merely have a small change in the forward acceleration rate. This will minimise the amount of force your body feels for the same net acceleration of the car.
So I would say that for the same acceleration rate, the DCT will always be smoother.
DCT's, just like other automatics, are always transfering torque to the drive wheels - there is never a complete power transfer disconnect from the engine as in a manual. Jawohl -the crossover from one clutch set to the other is minimized, and as you state produces a smoother gear transition. Here is a nice explanation (with a great cutaway and CAD graphics) of the Porsche PDK. The Getrag DCT used in the BMW's is similar.

http://www.roadfly.com/features/2009...nsmission.html

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #44
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Smooth, huh? What is this, a Buick forum? ;-)
Appreciate 0