New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #23
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysp View Post
They use GPS:

The system that we use to record-braking data is the same we use for acceleration testing, our GPS-based VBOXIII by RaceLogic. This system samples our location 100 times a second in three dimensions using anything from six to 12 satellites for triangulation, and therefore can calculate distance, speed and acceleration in virtually every direction (though the X and Y coordinates are most accurate).

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=8155
Doesn't this photo from the R&T article you cited look like the guy is in a e89 Z4?

GPS can be terrible accurate now days, and lot more so than our GPS systems, regardless of brand, would cause us to think. They always say accuracy within 30 feet, but that article proves they have much more potential.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #24
willysp
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 '09 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Doesn't this photo from the R&T article you cited look like the guy is in a e89 Z4?

GPS can be terrible accurate now days, and lot more so than our GPS systems, regardless of brand, would cause us to think. They always say accuracy within 30 feet, but that article proves they have much more potential.
Yes - certainly looks like an E89! Didn't notice that.

With high end gear (and it's fair to assume that R&T has it), and augmentation like WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System - developed by the FAA and DOD) accuracy in an open environment in good weather (e.g. a track on testing days) can be within a couple meters.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #25
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes - certainly looks like an E89! Didn't notice that.

With high end gear (and it's fair to assume that R&T has it), and augmentation like WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System - developed by the FAA and DOD) accuracy in an open environment in good weather (e.g. a track on testing days) can be within a couple meters.
Actually I hear it can be closer than a couple of meters. A friend owns an excavation company and they use gps gear extensively within 10ths of a foot in 3d. Land surveyors use gps equipment extensively for established property markers, boundary lines, topographical data, etc. 6 feet +/- won't get it when it comes to setting a property line.

I find this amazing considering that only a few years ago the military allowed public use of gps but only on a much lower resolution. GPS tek has exploded in the last couple of years, so I'm figuring they must now have much higher resolution satellites or technology, and they've released their old ones for public use. They just don't let on about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #26
willysp
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 '09 35i DCT

Quote:
Actually I hear it can be closer than a couple of meters. A friend owns an excavation company and they use gps gear extensively within 10ths of a foot in 3d. Land surveyors use gps equipment extensively for established property markers, boundary lines, topographical data, etc. 6 feet +/- won't get it when it comes to setting a property line.

I find this amazing considering that only a few years ago the military allowed public use of gps but only on a much lower resolution. GPS tek has exploded in the last couple of years, so I'm figuring they must now have much higher resolution satellites or technology, and they've released their old ones for public use. They just don't let on about it.
Yes, I've also heard that surveyors can be accurate to within centimeters. Don't know what type of gear it requires, nor whether it works on moving objects.

But, as a geek, I find tech like this to be fascinating.

An interesting anecdote is that the military turned on SA (selective availability, to reduce civilian accurary) in the Gulf War, but turned it off circa 2000 because so many civilians and soldiers were buying commercial gear for their friends and loved ones to use in the war. And SA has stayed turned off. And I'm sure you right - there is something the military has today that we don't. And I'm all for that - I like the idea of the military being able to used an unmanned drone to drop a surprise down the small chimney of an unfriendly and thereby reducing the risk of collateral damage. And that last comment of mine has what to do with Z4's?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And that last comment of mine has what to do with Z4's?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #28
eranidoobie
Registered
Rep
Drives: roadster

Garage List
2011 e89 z4  [0.00]
anyone know yet if there is a way to disable the odometer reading temporarily to compensate for that 8-10% increase in read milage?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #29
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, I've also heard that surveyors can be accurate to within centimeters. Don't know what type of gear it requires, nor whether it works on moving objects.

But, as a geek, I find tech like this to be fascinating.
The most accurate systems of GPS use "differential GPS"

GPS signals over hundreds of kilometres from space to earth can only position you accuratley to about 2 metres, and in bad conditions or with poor coverage, as bad as 10-30 metres.

If a GPS system has a nearby known fixed point that can be compared to a moving GPS location (eg a GPS base station and a roving GPS receiver) then the differential of the positions can be determined to a fraction of a centimetre, if they are using the same satellites to locate themselves at each location.

This is what the surveyors use.

In a moving car, the differential is done using the same GPS receiver. They dont compare two different locations at the same time, they compare two locations a tenth of a second apart, or two sequential signals from the same receiver.

While the absolute location is not any more accurate, the changes in its location using the same signals are as accurate as the two signals used by the surveyor's equipment.
Because the amount of movement is accurate, and the time unit is accurate between measurements (timed by an atomic clock on the satellites), the speed and direction are incredibly accurate as well. (just not your absolute location at any one time - which is alwasy out by up to 2-3 metres in the horizontal plane, or more if you have poor satellite coverage or lock)

You sometimes see a glitch in your GPS speed, this is when it changes from one satellite to another and your differential in measurements jumps from one accurate reading set to another accurate reading set - it can add in a few meters to your distance covered in a tenth of a second (which is how often the satellites send out a signal) so it can slow you down or speed you up just for a few readings on the display (many GPS unita average their speed calculations to try and minimise this change in signal accuracy).

Make sense?

The VBox units cant actually take readings faster than the satellite put them out, they interpolate the data to get more "accurate" estimates of timing & speed based on the data the read.
This means if they read 99mph at 10.1 seconds and 101mph at 10.2 seconds, they will interpolate the sample to tell you they measured 100mph at 10.15 seconds, even though they dont actually take a reading from the satellites at 10.15 seconds.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #30
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

this has been long discussed on every board. If you look at the data on the DME, analog speedo is no way tied to the odometer. Speed on all 0-60 test are also done on the VBOX and not looking at the speedo.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #31
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Two things come to mind:

1. What about 8-10% affect on warranty?

2. Computer adjustments for tire sizes?
This ^^^ agree 100%

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #32
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

http://www.**************/search.php?searchid=94185

The BMW Coding Forum should have threads on adjusting speedometers. I know they have activated digital speed display for our cars, which may prove more accurate than analog. You'll have to register to pass through their pearly gated forum. Lot of good drama and mystery reading on there.
      10-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #33
tot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive35i

On my car the digital speedo is spot on, within 1km/h when compared to GPS speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #34
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

i don't know if anyone on here is young enough to remember the up,up, down, down, b,b, a, a codes we used for nintendo... but basically doing that there's a way to hack the drive into opening a master menu and you can choose to set the speed digitally on the little area where you normally see the miles to empty.
      10-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #35
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

A 2 year old thread resurrected!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #36
timwhayden
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4is AW/Walnut

Garage List
When coding your digital speedo on ************** you are given 2 choices: a digital readout that reflects the analog needle (as some have said 3% or higher off) or a digital readout that is actual speed!
'07 Lamborghini Gallardo
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #37
timwhayden
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4is AW/Walnut

Garage List
The asterisks in my post were originally for the BMW coding forum but would not print the actual address.
'07 Lamborghini Gallardo
Appreciate 0