New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

E89 Lowering Springs

I have been thinking of doing some suspension work this spring as well as a custom tune and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from members that have just a set of springs on their car. I am leaning towards Eibachs at this point, but curious about H&Rs and others as well. I have thought about coilovers and matched suspension sets, and while I haven't entirely ruled them out, mainly looking at just springs right now. Thanks!

Last edited by RobC2; 01-18-2015 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
Innovative AutoConcepts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC2 View Post
I have been thinking of doing some suspension work this spring as well as a custom tune and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from members that have just a set of springs on their car. I am leaning towards Eibachs at this point, but curious about H&Rs and others as well. I have thought about coilovers and matched suspension sets, and while I haven't entirely ruled them out, mainly looking at just springs right now. Thanks!
I currently run the H&R setup and ride is not too harsh, but everything stiffens up in sport mode. If you are looking for a track setup, I do recommend coilovers, but if you are looking for a slight drop without breaking the bank then H&R's are the way to go.

Here is a pic of my car on H&R springs on VMR Wheels

VMR V810 Hyper Silver
Front:19x8.5 ET35 235/35/19 +10mm Spacer
Rear: 19x10 ET25 265/30/19
Tires: Sumitomo HTR Z III

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
pavproch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 330ixT

Just gave in H+R sport springs for adaptive chassis. They fit, the car body got very slightly dropped. Cannot share any (first) driving impressions as I havenīt ridden it yet (and wonīt do until April, though)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

See my DIY Post-
DIY H and R Lowering Springs For 2009 35i Z4

This is springs only- No coil overs.
Driving Experience:
Better handling is an absolute benefit.
Less body roll, feels tighter in slalom type, tight turns.
Slightly harsher over rough roads running on my OEM Run Flats ( assumed)
*Easy to install (*for someone with tools, patience and with good mechanical ability.
My opinion-great DIY project
LOVE the Low Look.

Drawbacks:
Cannot get a low profile jack under the front center jack point.- I have to now jack up the car from the side jack point to get under the front. No issues I have 2 jacks.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

I really like my h&r springs. Looks and handling are improved as others have said. I would also suggest the front and rear sway bars, since you're doing the work anyways.

If track use, I'd splurge on a set of coilovers
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

I've bitten my tongue and held this comment for years, but today is the day.

With no intent to criticize or disagree with another's aesthetic choice, for the life of me I do not understand the appeal of lowering the car. I certainly can see the benefit of upgrading the suspension for better handling on or off track, but the look of a roadster lower than it was designed to be confounds me.

As someone with a design background, if you go through and look at iconic cars in this category like the Ferrari Daytona Spyder, BMW 507, Jaguar E-Type, or even more recent examples like the AM Vantage Roadster, Boxster or F-Type, you will notice a common, purposeful aesthetic choice amongst them all. The height at which they leave the factory is designed to create an even amount of space from the horizontal line at which the bottom of the body intersects with the tire all the way up and around the tire. In other words, if you look at the car in profile, you see an even amount of space between the tire and body throughout the tire's diameter.

When you lower the car, the space between the body and the top of the tire decreases and the space between the tire and the bottom of the body increases, creating more of an 'egg' shape in that line. Every time I see it on our car or cars like ours, it sticks out like a zit on a supermodel. That's not to say I don't see the appeal on something like a '57 Impala, '32 Ford Coupe or other hot rod of that ilk, it just seems terrifically out of place on a long nose, short rear deck Euro-style roadster.

Flame on.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post

With no intent to criticize or disagree with another's aesthetic choice, for the life of me I do not understand the appeal of lowering the car. I certainly can see the benefit of upgrading the suspension for better handling on or off track, but the look of a roadster lower than it was designed to be confounds me.

As someone with a design background, if you go through and look at iconic cars in this category like the Ferrari Daytona Spyder, BMW 507, Jaguar E-Type, or even more recent examples like the AM Vantage Roadster, Boxster or F-Type, you will notice a common, purposeful aesthetic choice amongst them all. The height at which they leave the factory is designed to create an even amount of space from the horizontal line at which the bottom of the body intersects with the tire all the way up and around the tire. In other words, if you look at the car in profile, you see an even amount of space between the tire and body throughout the tire's diameter.

When you lower the car, the space between the body and the top of the tire decreases and the space between the tire and the bottom of the body increases, creating more of an 'egg' shape in that line. Every time I see it on our car or cars like ours, it sticks out like a zit on a supermodel. That's not to say I don't see the appeal on something like a '57 Impala, '32 Ford Coupe or other hot rod of that ilk, it just seems terrifically out of place on a long nose, short rear deck Euro-style roadster.

Flame on.
To say nothing of the fact that a stock Z4's ride height is low enough to make it difficult to get over many speed bumps without scraping the underbody and entering/exiting driveways can often be a challenge! My other car is a Mazda CX-5 CUV which I did install H&R Sport springs on simply because I couldn't bear to look at the car's shock bump stops another day. Lowering it 1.5" all the way around did give it a more "planted" look and the resulting slightly negative camber (no adjustment for that) do improve handling albeit at the expense of ride quality over rough pavement. All of these trade-offs should be carefully evaluated prior to modification. Otherwise we'll be seeing another set of "slightly used" springs in the classified section four months from now!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
pavproch
Private First Class
Rep

@ mbetoni: Sure, you got the point speaking of excessive drops (1.5" or more), but.... in my case (H+R sport springś for adaptive M-chassis) and speaking of the aestetics/optics/look - who says 0.75" of height difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

Quote:

With no intent to criticize or disagree with another's aesthetic choice, for the life of me I do not understand the appeal of lowering the car. I certainly can see the benefit of upgrading the suspension for better handling on or off track, but the look of a roadster lower than it was designed to be confounds me....

Flame on.
This is funny actually because I sort of feel the same way, even though I started the topic. I am really fine with the height of the car, I just want the suspension a little stiffer. If I get coilovers, I am certain that I will have them adjusted as close to stock height as possible. I was also leaning towards the Eibachs as I understand the drop is less. Basically, I want the car to handle a little better without spending thousands. I don't track the car or drive like a maniac. I just prefer a stiffer, sportier ride so coilovers seem like overkill.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavproch View Post
@ mbetoni: Sure, you got the point speaking of excessive drops (1.5" or more), but.... in my case (H+R sport springś for adaptive M-chassis) and speaking of the aestetics/optics/look - who says 0.75" of height difference?
As I said, it's all personal preference. While 3/4" may not bother some, it's something I'd notice and it would bother me. I suppose I'm picky
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

With apologies to Z4RIDER, and acknowledgement of his hard work (I read his write up and was impressed by the successful DIY), this is an example of a too-low-for-me drop:

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #12
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Its all good.
Aesthetic appeal is all SUBJECTIVE.
I KNOW SHE IS LOW.
BUT as this is not my daily driver and driving experience/performance/handling/look/overall BETTER was my goal.
Here are some photos of Pre H and R Lowered springs and (Pre- VMR Wheels)
All due respect to the designers and various OEM measured heights as mentioned sometimes ( in my humble opinion) the designers do not always get it 100% right.
Look at the tire/wheel to fender gaps F and R. The large 18 inch wheels seem to be somewhat lost in there.
Do you prefer the tire to fender gap and being able to see the inside of the wheel wells or do you prefer the more closely spaced sizing of a lowered or MORE CORRECT stance to the car.
Attached Images

2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER View Post
The large 18 inch wheels seem to be somewhat lost in there.
This I wholeheartedly agree with. The problem, of course, being the opening is designed to accommodate 17", 18" and 19" wheels, depending on how the car is optioned. Obviously, the 17" and 18" are going to feel more 'lost' than the 19".

I can certainly see that with a smaller wheel lowering the car is a logical attempt at minimizing that space. Makes complete sense.

I have the 19" wheels and the gap between the tire and the car looks right (to me) with that size wheel.

(And, as a mineral gray over red owner, please allow me to say 'I like your taste!')
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
This I wholeheartedly agree with. The problem, of course, being the opening is designed to accommodate 17", 18" and 19" wheels, depending on how the car is optioned. Obviously, the 17" and 18" are going to feel more 'lost' than the 19".

I can certainly see that with a smaller wheel lowering the car is a logical attempt at minimizing that space. Makes complete sense.

I have the 19" wheels and the gap between the tire and the car looks right (to me) with that size wheel.

(And, as a mineral gray over red owner, please allow me to say 'I like your taste!')
Only thing is, the "gap"you refer to is the same no matter what size the wheel, because the diameter of the tire is constant (unless the someone has used an incorrect tire size).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #15
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

What is the official ride height of the E89? I cant seem to find it in any of the pdfs. It just says the M suspension is 10mm lower.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #16
pavproch
Private First Class
Rep

I think I read somewhere 130mm for a standard chassis and 124mm for an M-sport adaptive one.
Appreciate 0