New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Bavsound is taking pre-orders for their Stage One speaker upgrade

Bavsound is taking pre-orders for their Stage One speaker upgrade. I think if you order by March 31st, it's $100 off. This is the first time it's been offered for the E89, but they have an established track record with other BMW models. It's well worth the upgrade considering how lackluster the factory audio is. Bavsound makes everything totally do it yourself/ plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:43 AM   #2
transmit
Rep
Drives: 2015 Z4 sDrive 28i

Yep, I just ordered a kit for my 2015 28i today. Total cost was $289 with tax, and after discounts, to replace all the speakers with much higher quality ones (except for the sub-woofers). Here's a direct link with more info about Bavsound's custom Z4 setups and the special deal they are running for Z4 owners: http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...&id=39f534518c
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

how much better is this over the upgraded stereo? The only issue I have (not an audiophile) is that the base just doesn't hit hard enough and when you turn it up it just buzzes.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
how much better is this over the upgraded stereo? The only issue I have (not an audiophile) is that the base just doesn't hit hard enough and when you turn it up it just buzzes.
From my experience, I would say it's a significant improvement over the factory sound, and about as good as you will be able to get without adding components, dedicated amps, etc. Remember, this is a speaker only upgrade. You won't be adding any components. The main advantage here is cost and it's a very easy do it yourself install.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

i have doubts this is an upgrade from the hifi package, i had bavsound on installed on an e46 years ago and from what i recall i thought it was a waste of money
      03-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoven View Post
i have doubts this is an upgrade from the hifi package, i had bavsound on installed on an e46 years ago and from what i recall i thought it was a waste of money
I can actually attest to the fact that it is an upgrade over the hifi package. My Z4 was the testbed that Bavsound used to develop this package and I had the hifi package previously. It was a night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I can actually attest to the fact that it is an upgrade over the hifi package. My Z4 was the testbed that Bavsound used to develop this package and I had the hifi package previously. It was a night and day difference.
fair enough, but based on my experience w/ the e46 kit and just looking at the z4 product page, i dont think this kit is worth it.. you get 3 tweeters and 3 mids, they advertise plug n play as a big selling point but almost all audio is plug n play wired, you can build your own 4" component kit off crutchfield and the install is the same.. their speakers are inhouse brand, im sure its fine but im skeptical why there is not a single frequency response graph on their site, only a bunch of marketing buzzwords, for similar price id much rather grab more proven components from JL, Focal, etc which im willing to bet performs better than bavsound brand
      03-31-2016, 02:40 AM   #8
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoven View Post
fair enough, but based on my experience w/ the e46 kit and just looking at the z4 product page, i dont think this kit is worth it.. you get 3 tweeters and 3 mids, they advertise plug n play as a big selling point but almost all audio is plug n play wired, you can build your own 4" component kit off crutchfield and the install is the same.. their speakers are inhouse brand, im sure its fine but im skeptical why there is not a single frequency response graph on their site, only a bunch of marketing buzzwords, for similar price id much rather grab more proven components from JL, Focal, etc which im willing to bet performs better than bavsound brand
Seems about right
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 12:17 AM   #9
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

I received my speakers this weekend from Bavsound, after some production delays. Will do the install in mid-September and post back results.

Filippo
      08-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
airmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW Z4,'14 BMW X3, '17 X1

Word of caution to those with the base stereo system. This kit is not compatible.

I received my speakers this weekend as well. Only to realize upon installation that this does not upgrade the Base standard audio package. It is an upgrade from the mid level Hi Fi audio system (the next step up from the base package) The kit includes replacement tweeters and a center mid range speaker. The factory base system does not have either of these, nor does it have the wiring to put them in.

So, back to BAVSOUND it goes!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:54 PM   #11
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Airmarc, have you spoken to Jason about this? He may have a solution for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #12
airmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Working with them to obtain a refund. Turns out Focal, actually has the best solution for the setup of my car. Already installed and love the sound difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #13
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

I have the base system as well and ordered the stage 1 upgrade. I got an email yesterday stating that they didn't send the correct wiring harnesses for the tweeters and to hold off installing them until they scan manufacture a solution.

It's pretty ridiculous. These were supposed to ship in June when we pre ordered and here we are at the end of August being asked to wait for them to manufacture wiring harnesses. When the initial delay occurred I complained and was given a $100 refund for my trouble but now I'm starting to wonder if it's worth waiting even at the discounted price. I haven't pulled apart my dash but I don't have confidence that the center channel has any wiring there. I could run my own but that defeats the purpose of buying plug and play.

What to do...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #14
airmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosd View Post
I have the base system as well and ordered the stage 1 upgrade. I got an email yesterday stating that they didn't send the correct wiring harnesses for the tweeters and to hold off installing them until they scan manufacture a solution.

It's pretty ridiculous. These were supposed to ship in June when we pre ordered and here we are at the end of August being asked to wait for them to manufacture wiring harnesses. When the initial delay occurred I complained and was given a $100 refund for my trouble but now I'm starting to wonder if it's worth waiting even at the discounted price. I haven't pulled apart my dash but I don't have confidence that the center channel has any wiring there. I could run my own but that defeats the purpose of buying plug and play.

What to do...
Very disappointing indeed. Seems they only did their R&D work in a Z4 with the Hi-Fi system, and not the base one. I am sending mine back for a full refund. And just an FYI, the Stage One upgrade will not work with your system. I confirmed this myself and with a professional installer. There is e not any wiring present for the center mid range speaker, there is also no factory wiring for the tweeters in the doors. Although, there are "placeholders", its empty behind there. The only real option without spending alot of money or a TON of DIY, is merely replacing the door speakers. Bavsound confirmed this, as they do offer better speakers (with tweeters built in) for just the door panel with our setup. So you do have options with them. Focal Brand also has these same speakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #15
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

I'm still holding out. One has to appreciate that the Z4 is a low production car. I also believe has some mid-year production changes on the sound system. Bavsound has had teething pains - I know my system order went in without all the right speakers - they remedied this in the order. I still don't know if I have the right stuff, (my car is a mid-2011), specifically I have no rear center channel speaker in the kit and I suspect my car has that speaker, so I may need to get that from them as well. I received the email on the wiring harness as well ... they'll work it out.

They have been apologetic, responsive, worked to make things right, and even offered some money back. I don't expect people to be perfect, but any company that handles its customers with this kind of care, in the face of issues, gets my full respect. No disappointments with Bavsound here.

I'll also mention that the teething pains Bavsound is having is just like most everyone else I've seen in the aftermarket for the Z4. I can name a number of other companies (some whose people venture on this board) that have suffered mid-year production change woes, small fit differences in cross-BMW compatibility, et cetera. This car is an aftermarket headache, pure and simple.

BTW Bavsound has a very good install video for these cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnyP_-vs3T4

Filippo
      08-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #16
jake169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmarc View Post
Working with them to obtain a refund. Turns out Focal, actually has the best solution for the setup of my car. Already installed and love the sound difference.
Airmarc,

What system did you have previously in your car. Also could you please provide some insight into the Focal system you have installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #17
kosd
Private First Class
Rep

Airmarc, can you send us the model number of the focal system you installed? Any insights on that upgrade would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #18
transmit
Rep

I have a mid-level sound system (not base, not HiFi) and ordered the Bavsound upgrade. I received my speakers 2 weeks ago but they forgot the rear midrange speakers in addition to the wiring harness messup. I called them up and they shipped the missing rear speakers within a few days. The correct harness has yet to be shipped (they are saying 2 - 3 weeks) but the harness is only needed for the door speakers to connect the tweeters to the midranges. I installed the front center and 2 rear midrange speakers already which were extremely easy to install. Still waiting for the wiring harness to do the door speaker install. Can't say I notice a lot of difference after swapping out 3 of the 7 speakers in the upgrade but I'll wait until the full set has been installed to make final judgement.

Here's what goes in the mid-level upgrade:
front center dash midrange x1 (installed)
door mounted tweeter x2 (waiting for harness)
door mounted midrange x2 (waiting for harness)
read midrange x2 (installed)

Note that they give you instructions on how to wire the speakers without the harness but I figure I'll wait since I am in no rush.

From what I can tell, the HiFi level upgrade adds the following to the above, using the same exact speaker components:
front center dash tweeter x1
rear center tweeter x1
rear center midrange x1

Last edited by transmit; 09-07-2016 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #19
transmit
Rep

Here's a comparison of the Bavsound (left) versus OEM midrange speaker (right). You can see that the magnet, in addition to being made of neodymium is also much larger.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #20
Demeter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 E89

I bought the full set (10 speakers total) and installed them last week. I must say the mid ranges and tweeters for the Front and Centre are worth the replacing. But for the rear mids (shoulder behind the seats), it seems the original deck is not powerful enough to push those mids. Even some tweaking with the fader, I could hardly hear from those two rear mids.
Not sure if this is also the case with you guys
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #21
kosd
Private First Class
Rep

I replaced the tweeters and front midranges only. I never had a center channel or subwoofers as I have the base audio system.

The speakers are an upgrade and do sound better than stock but if you have the base sound system don't bother upgrading any speakers unless you also upgrade with an amplifier. The base audio system uses radio power (no external amp) and it's terrible.

I upgraded to a small alpine power pack amp and had it professionally installed (mounted behind the dash). That made the biggest difference.

One additional item to note is that the stage 1 upgrade doesn't include the woofers in the foot wells. These are an odd size and bavsound told me they don't yet have a solution for that area.

So while the amp and speakers helped, I cannot get full benefit because the woofers are terrible. I have the gain turned down artificially low on the amp due to the woofer limitations.
Appreciate 0