New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Stereo Doesn't Play Load Enough

Reading a thread over at Bimmerfest about the Z4 stereo. A couple of folks indicate that at certain speeds it's almost in audiable.

Anyone having that trouble?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=379199
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

I wasn't too impressed with the stock stereo, with the top down it was harder to hear. I ordered the upgraded stereo package in the US and am very happy with it. Unfortunately it comes with the 6 disk DVD changer and I don't see much use for that, especially with iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah you wonder what they're thinking - with an iPod and USB interfaces, CD's are almost obsolete, not mention a 6 cd changer. Can one easily remove the cd changer without stopping time, or creating a temporal rift?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
siscobmw
freude am fahren ....scheiden freude...
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive30i tiefseeblau

my 11 speaker system is very good ans loud also with top down.....
Francesco From Italy
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
tiborakos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

the 11 speaker system belongs to the "hi fi" option, which is not the standard audio with 6 speaker -& also carries a amplifier. On top, there is the "Professional HiFi with 14 speakers. Would like to hear how the basic 6 speaker system performs please...anybody?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

Basic stereo is poor and there is no excuse. It should at least be suitable for the car it was installed in.

I am a sound engineer by trade. The overal imaging is OK, vocals are reproduced faithfully and the bass for such small speakers is acceptable (until the roof comes off) but when it's turned up there seems as if there is some sort of digital limiting or compression going on and my rear speakers (which don't do very much) buzz at several frequencies.

Not happy at all, but what can we do about this. It's obvious that the radio isn't up to the job in this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:00 AM   #7
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Andy View Post
Not happy at all, but what can we do about this. It's obvious that the radio isn't up to the job in this car.

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...ea548eb19bf7a0

I'm still busy with my upgrade, tuning the sub woofer. I'm still thinking about swapping the front door speakers. But it is a significant improvement.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

Re:

That looks good so far and I think the front speakers are actually not that bad.

I just feel a little cheated with the standard setup. It really is poor.

Right now I just want more power, tighter bass and retain all wheel funtions. I also have bluetooth so I don't want to mess with that.

Is there line audio outputs on the standard unit?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Yeah you wonder what they're thinking - with an iPod and USB interfaces, CD's are almost obsolete, not mention a 6 cd changer. Can one easily remove the cd changer without stopping time, or creating a temporal rift?
+1

Prev: 09 Z4 35i Black w/white napa leather & every option possible =)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Andy View Post
Is there line audio outputs on the standard unit?
No line out present on the unit. You could modify the radio by looking for a line level signal within the unit or a speaker to line level converter. Both are not that great because the outputs are heavy equalized (LFP on rear speakers and loudness on the front speakers).

EdP
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Reading a thread over at Bimmerfest about the Z4 stereo. A couple of folks indicate that at certain speeds it's almost in audiable.

Anyone having that trouble?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=379199
Not bad with the top up with CD (FM is aweful), but very lacking with the top down at speeds over 50mph. The stereo in my 335i coupe was considerably better.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
STLMCO
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 Blk/Blk

Just replaced the standard 6 speaker system myself (after numerous complaints to both my dealer and BMWNA). Did not change the head unit (Professional Radio, no Nav). Installed JL Audio HD 600/4 amp in the trunk where the factory amp would go. Great amp that takes speaker level inputs. Replaced the woofers and mids in front with Hertz Hi Energy 163.3 three way components (including tweeters). Rear speakers will be replaced with Hertz Energy EM100 mids, but they aren't in yet. Ran new wire to all speakers, Had all the rear interior trim removed at one point... boy did that make me nervous, but everything went back together just fine. UNBELIEVABLE change. A lot of money for high end components, but what a difference. Because the rears aren't in yet there is no fill, but that is only going to be icing on the cake. Thought about doing subs, but decided to wait and see if I need them (don't need a system that rattles windows). Also, if I wait I suspect someone will develop a slick drop in solution for subs.

Not being able to the hear stereo while driving with the top down was really taking away from me being able to enjoy my new Z4. What was particularly aggravating was that the stock radio in my 2003 Z4 was so much better. Now my new car is everything I was hoping for.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLMCO View Post
Just replaced the standard 6 speaker system myself (after numerous complaints to both my dealer and BMWNA). Did not change the head unit (Professional Radio, no Nav). Installed JL Audio HD 600/4 amp in the trunk where the factory amp would go. Great amp that takes speaker level inputs. Replaced the woofers and mids in front with Hertz Hi Energy 163.3 three way components (including tweeters). Rear speakers will be replaced with Hertz Energy EM100 mids, but they aren't in yet. Ran new wire to all speakers, Had all the rear interior trim removed at one point... boy did that make me nervous, but everything went back together just fine. UNBELIEVABLE change. A lot of money for high end components, but what a difference. Because the rears aren't in yet there is no fill, but that is only going to be icing on the cake. Thought about doing subs, but decided to wait and see if I need them (don't need a system that rattles windows). Also, if I wait I suspect someone will develop a slick drop in solution for subs.

Not being able to the hear stereo while driving with the top down was really taking away from me being able to enjoy my new Z4. What was particularly aggravating was that the stock radio in my 2003 Z4 was so much better. Now my new car is everything I was hoping for.
That JL amp has a lot of adjustments. So it looks like you've spent somewhere between $500 and $1000 on your system improvements?

How does you new amp compare to the pieces in the Premium sound package. I know it has a nav system and iDrive interface, but how do the amp and speakers compare?

Last edited by teagueAMX; 08-03-2009 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #14
STLMCO
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 Blk/Blk

Not familiar with the specs on the premium sound system. Adjustment on the JL amp were straight forward and easy to understand, even for someone like myself who is not an audiophile (though I am an engineer). I paid a premium for the components since I decided to buy from a local high end car stereo shop so I would have some support in case I got into trouble. In the end it was much easier than I anticipated. Only problem now is that the integrated bluetooth phone comes on at very high volume, at bit of an inconvenience that I hope to solve.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #15
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Embarrassing base stereo

My wife and I have ordered a new Z4 for European Delivery at Das Welt - we take delivery two weeks from today, on August 17th. After sitting at the dealer and ordering the car's specifics three weeks ago, I left my trade-in vehicle, and the salesman and I drove home in the Z4 35i demo. It had the base stereo (called "Business" stereo in the US) and we could hardly hear it with the top down and the volume all the way up - it was embarrassing. So, I had the salesman add the Premium Stereo option for $2,000 US. I didn't want the 6 DVD Changer or to spend another $2,000 but hey, I have to have good sound quality and volume in a convertible. We cannot wait for our jet black, 35i with white leather, premium sound, sport package and 19" wheels, premium package, DCT, to be ready in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

You will be very happy with the premium system. I wasn't fan of the stock system in the demo either. It sounds okay, but just isn't anywhere near loud enough with the top down. I do wonder if it is intentional.

The premium sound option is one of the best factory units I have ever heard. I would have prefered that they didn't include the 6 disc changer (DVD not cd) since I have iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #17
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

yes, I did go back up last week and listen to a Z4 that had just arrived with the Premium Sound - amazing! but not worth $2k, I too wish they would cut the price by deleting the 6 DVD Changer - no one needs that in this age of iPods and satellite radio
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Premium Sound

I can confirm that the "Loudspeaker System BMW Professional" in BMW-speak is quite fabulous. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

In clarity/breadth/volume/lack of distortion up to ear-melting levels. And that's just playing back from the car's HD (having pre-loaded it from the USB).

It is far far better than the BOSE system I had in a previous Audi, which had no 'body' to it, just insane volume.

It's a shame BMW markets these things differently around the world, since here in the UK you can have it without having to order the DVD changer.
£815....or about $1,385............
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #19
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X1 35i M-sport

I don't know... I'd say having the ability to CLEARLY listen to music with great sound with the top open, doing 80mph on the freeway is worth $2k to me... Yes, it's expensive, but I'd be well more than $2k worth of pissed off if I couldn't listen to music with the top down in my new car.

Prev: 09 Z4 35i Black w/white napa leather & every option possible =)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Premium Sound Package

Thats why it's listed as an "option". You feel you need it, and it's worth $2k to you, you get it. You don't feel you need it, and think it's overpriced, you don't have to get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #21
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Victor1 View Post
It's a shame BMW markets these things differently around the world, since here in the UK you can have it without having to order the DVD changer.
£815....or about $1,385............
For most people, if you've got 12 gb of internal hard disk storage, and iPod and USB connectivity, why do you need a legacy device like a 6-cd changer. I can put my entire cd collection on one or two USB drives. But, some people might be old school and need it, which is fine, or maybe you've got a bunch of cd's you haven't converted over, then make it a separate option like the UK.

More than likely it's 100% modular, meaning the cd player is connected with a modular jack to the back of the head unit. It's then a simple matter to unplug it and remove it, then figure out if a new glove box tray is required or if it's a matter of a plastic insert.

I was looking at the Porsche version and they had a nice way of doing it - the cd player sat in the roof of the glove box and was very thin. More than likely some of the unit stuck up inside the dash, but when you wanted to insert a cd, the cd tray itself is the only thing you see.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #22
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

you are right, I gladly paid the $2k for awesome sound - you can't help but be sold on it after listening to the stock radio; I do wish the DVD changer was deleted for a little savings though
Appreciate 0