New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
Heated Passenger Seat sets off Seat Belt Alarm

The wife and I was driving around on the week of the 4th and it was cool some of those nights and when she would turn on the heated seat it would cause the seat belt alarm for her seat to go off after about 10 minutes or so.

It would stop dinging in about 1 min but the red light would stay on. She took the belt off and back on, but it didn't help. Until I powered down the car it wouldn't show both belts were latched.

Also, right when this happen the passenger air bag off light came on, it stays on for about 1 min also and goes off when the dinging stopped, yet the dash light stayed on.

My guess, it is the sensor that detects if weight of the passenger is enough to use the air bag is malfunctioning due to the heat in the seat.

It never errors unless the heated seat is on. I have not used my heated seat yet to find out if it happens to the drivers side.

Does anyone know how much weight I need to put in the seat to trigger the airbag so I can confirm the issue with out having to make someone suffer a heated seat in the summer?

2011 E89 35is, 21,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler35is View Post
The wife and I was driving around on the week of the 4th and it was cool some of those nights and when she would turn on the heated seat it would cause the seat belt alarm for her seat to go off after about 10 minutes or so.

It would stop dinging in about 1 min but the red light would stay on. She took the belt off and back on, but it didn't help. Until I powered down the car it wouldn't show both belts were latched.

Also, right when this happen the passenger air bag off light came on, it stays on for about 1 min also and goes off when the dinging stopped, yet the dash light stayed on.

My guess, it is the sensor that detects if weight of the passenger is enough to use the air bag is malfunctioning due to the heat in the seat.

It never errors unless the heated seat is on. I have not used my heated seat yet to find out if it happens to the drivers side.

Does anyone know how much weight I need to put in the seat to trigger the airbag so I can confirm the issue with out having to make someone suffer a heated seat in the summer?

2011 E89 35is, 21,000 miles.
Funny you bring this up. Here in PHX when the temp rises above 110, even touching the seat with your hand will trigger the seat belt chime in my car. I have a habit of having my finger touch the seat while driving with one hand and lo and behold the seat belt warning starts chiming though no passenger is in the seat! Definitely a combo of heat and some sensor not agreeing. BTW, I also have heated seats..
      07-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I had that prb when I first got my car, it has something to do w/ the heated seats affecting the airbag sensor. You need to get it to the dealer to have the seat occupancy sensor (short circuit/faulty) replaced, same day fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Definitely sounds like a defect.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
supLOL
Banned
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot

Funny you bring this up. Here in PHX when the temp rises above 110, even touching the seat with your hand will trigger the seat belt chime in my car. I have a habit of having my finger touch the seat while driving with one hand and lo and behold the seat belt warning starts chiming though no passenger is in the seat! Definitely a combo of heat and some sensor not agreeing. BTW, I also have heated seats..
+1

Same thing happens with me. I can't even keep my damn phone on the passenger seat. Phoenix is a bitch!
Appreciate 0