New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Bob20124
Retired and Enjoying it
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i Alpine White 6MT

Cobb AP stage 2, 2+

quick question.. Running stage1+ now. Looking of doing catless DP. Does the 2 and 2+ maps take care of o2 sensor codes or is DP fix required?
2011 35i BMS High & Low side OCC, Custom tune, CDV delete, Eldor coils, ER Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV, ER Comp. FMIC, K&N drop in,40W LED Halo, LCI side markers, M-Factory LSD, NGK plugs, Racing Dynamics strut brace, Stubby, Windrestrictor
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z 35i

The Cobb tune will not get rid of any upper O2 sensor error, because these O2 sensors are for the car to determine how much unburned O2 and adjust the fuel air mixture. The upper O2 sensors are before the cats so those should not be throwing any errors if you get the catless downpipes. The lower two O2 sensors behind the cats may throw errors because of the missing cats since the cats are meant for emissions. With the missing cats it may throw error and may not pass emission test. I am unsure if the Cobb tune can eliminate the lower two O2 sensor error if there are any.

I recently replaced my upper O2 sensors because it was throwing errors and the car service light would come on. I probably damaged my O2 (was a bitch to get to) when I installed the DP myself.

I used to have an Infiniti with UpRev tune and their tune was able to eliminate any errors with the lower two O2, but not the upper O2.

I would just get the DP with race cats and not worry.
      11-02-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

I got the AR catted Downpipes with ESS Tune and they made it so that no errors occur, though I was getting cat codes (after scanning with BT scanner) before the tune customisation.

It also sounds very good with the catted version.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Bob, I believe the Cobb Stg. 2 eliminates the CEL from running a catless donwpipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

dont you need an FMIC as well for stage 2? I am considering getting catted AR pipes and a FMIC but the labor to install seems intensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Bob20124
Retired and Enjoying it
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i Alpine White 6MT

Yes you need a FMIC and replace cats. Confirmed that CEL is taken care of by the tune.
come on Black Friday deals!
2011 35i BMS High & Low side OCC, Custom tune, CDV delete, Eldor coils, ER Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV, ER Comp. FMIC, K&N drop in,40W LED Halo, LCI side markers, M-Factory LSD, NGK plugs, Racing Dynamics strut brace, Stubby, Windrestrictor
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Bob, would love to hear your impressions if you end up going with a catless DP. I'm still trying to decide between catted and catless. I'm mostly concerned about it being too noisy with the catless.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #8
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Bob, would love to hear your impressions if you end up going with a catless DP. I'm still trying to decide between catted and catless. I'm mostly concerned about it being too noisy with the catless.
I run catless midpipes and regular catted downpipes. Love the sound. Not too loud or too quiet. Tire and wind noise is still the dominating noise at highway speeds. My greatest complaint is that the car sounds much nicer from the passenger side because the right exhaust is louder than the left one (there is no can flap on the bigger muffler on the right). I speculate that they pulled out some of the dampening material inside the right side muffler on the 35is.
Appreciate 0