New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
the belgian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

sat nav

when i bought my z4 i did not spec a sat nav which i now regret, does anyone know were to buy one that will fit the dash?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

It would be great to tell you there's a beautiful double-din head unit you can drop right in there, but sorry there isn't. BMW's setup is completely proprietary, which is to say you're not going to find anything that will be a direct fit except BMW parts, which would be a mother to make work.

Now that's not saying you can't make something else work. Several guys here got the base sound system and had their own custom upgrades installed. Do a search to find them. If that turn's dry for you I'm sure we can find a link and a couple of forum members to give you some guidance.

The other thing is you will not find a direct fit GPS Nav unit to fit in your dashtop pop-up storage compartment. On the other hand, the Garmin 4.3 inch screen that would fit nicely in there. BMW has an accessory kit (top photo) that will fit nicely in your dash. You may be able to buy the kit from BMW and the Nav unit separately.

The Magellan 1700 RoadMate has a nice large 7 inch screen that comes pretty close to the BMWs nav unit screen size, and the Roadmate has more functionality. They run about $250US. If you get a little creative with the mount you can have a nice nav unit.

Megellan 1700 RoadMate

Hope that helps.
Attached Images

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 11-08-2010 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
the belgian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

thanks for that info T
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

If you want a 100% exact match, you will have to buy your NAV/iDrive from BMW, buy the pocket accessory and install the Nav on your own... The drive won't be functional though... It is a long project.. A friend of mine started it on his 135 and I think he is about to be done... I will ask him for some photos if you want to go down that road... Though at an more than ok fit, you should be able to find a 3rd party Nav and as teagueamx said, be a little creative and you would be fine....
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by the belgian View Post
when i bought my z4 i did not spec a sat nav which i now regret, does anyone know were to buy one that will fit the dash?
Contact this forum member, he may be capable of getting a full OEM iDrive retrofit pre-coded for your Z4: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428428

It will not be cheap, but it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
6MT4me
E90 M3 and Z4 35i
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i cab mineral grey

sat nav

I did not see any info on your stereo system, but I had the basic stereo and it sounded terrible and was totally ineffective with the top down. I basically had the whole system replaced with a double din pioneer navi and audio system, professionally installed where the old radio was and it works great as a navi besides being a great upgrade on the audio system. Of course that meant new speakers and amps installed also, but well worth it. The unit slightly hides the buttons for controlling the top, but they are easily accessible and remain totally functional. The navi is easily as good as the BMW without a idrive knob and it's quirks.....
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

iDrive is more than navi...
      11-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Strike Thread ... ~~~~ I mean Post you do know one pic is worth a 1000 words "

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT4me View Post
I did not see any info on your stereo system, but I had the basic stereo and it sounded terrible and was totally ineffective with the top down. I basically had the whole system replaced with a double din pioneer navi and audio system, professionally installed where the old radio was and it works great as a navi besides being a great upgrade on the audio system. Of course that meant new speakers and amps installed also, but well worth it. The unit slightly hides the buttons for controlling the top, but they are easily accessible and remain totally functional. The navi is easily as good as the BMW without a idrive knob and it's quirks.....

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
iDrive is more than navi...
Still working on your hair Memphis? time for a change yes?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
teagueAMX

Great post

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the belgian View Post
Long ago I asked the same question

I was told, if you want the iDrive "get a new car"

I said thanks, I'll use my TomTom 902 a nice lady tells me (only when I need her or I am lost) when to turn

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
teagueAMX

Great post
You are welcome and thank you!
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0