New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
mkindy
Rep
Drives: Vectra.. I know :-(

Water pooling in batterycomp/boot?

Hi All,

I was about to change the rear tyres on my Z'dy so tought I better check the locking nut key was in the tool kit before I turned up and look like an idiot. When I pulled the floor covering up revealing the area the battery sits in, I noticed about 3" of water had pooled in this area. There is no drain built into the body that I could see for it to drain away so the waters just sitting there.

Does anyone have this issue with their Z4? Kinda worries me how it got in there ion the firstplace and how I can stop it pooling going forward?

mkindy
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I think there should be a drain hole to prevent this? I would check this out with the dealer, water in that area is not a good idea as you know yourself.

Good luck with that and keep us posted

PS. Be careful in that area as you know there are a lot of wires, when I first checked there for my tool kit I disturbed some wires and then the rear light shorted out. I now keep my tools well packed (to prevent rattling) in the storage compartment on the left side in the trunk (just behind the left rear wheel well ~ you may or may not have a storage compartment there).

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 01-24-2011 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: added PS
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
mkindy
Rep

Well, I called my dealer yesterday and after a chat with the service centre they have indicated that there must be a leak somewhere(no SH%t sherlock). When I asked about a drain plug he told me their wasn't one. They need to see the car to trace the leak which I am doing next week. The scary thing was the service guy indicated it was okay to continue driving even though the water was getting up to the level of electrics.... didn't believe him so have sponged out the majority of water until I can get to the dealers...

The only thing I can think of is I get the car cleaned at one of these hand washing places and thought maybe the pressure hoses they use might be forcing a gap somewhere...but we shall see...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkindy View Post
Well, I called my dealer yesterday and after a chat with the service centre they have indicated that there must be a leak somewhere(no SH%t sherlock). When I asked about a drain plug he told me their wasn't one. They need to see the car to trace the leak which I am doing next week. The scary thing was the service guy indicated it was okay to continue driving even though the water was getting up to the level of electrics.... didn't believe him so have sponged out the majority of water until I can get to the dealers...

The only thing I can think of is I get the car cleaned at one of these hand washing places and thought maybe the pressure hoses they use might be forcing a gap somewhere...but we shall see...
Looks like that service guy is fairly green behind the ears. How can standing water be okay around your battery? I would talk to the Service Manager about this. For sure find out where the water came from. My educated guess would be rain came in and you may have a weather stripping issue.

Keep us informed.

Good luck
BTW what car (Model Year etc) are we talking about? People might be reluctant to help you out without this information, I assumed it is a Z

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
mkindy
Rep

Car type info

Hi,

Apologies, I thought I had put that info in my profile...but that was for another site

E89 Z4 23i sDrive - In Brown
Appreciate 0